With that said, today is a sweet day in that it is my “one year anniversary” of being on staff as the Girl’s Ministry Director at my home church. To say that it has been a sweet, yet hard journey would be a complete understatement. I can honestly say that I have been challenged in my own walk with the Lord more than ever and have changed as a person. He continues to sanctify me through and through daily and as rough as that can be, it is so sweet.
Even though I’m just a rookie in ministry, I decided I would share with you some of the things I have learned in one year. So here goes…
1) When you get a lot of girls in one room, there is no telling what might happen. And honestly, they may not even act like girls! They may act more like boys in their bodily functions than we ever care to admit. And frankly, that’s okay, because that’s when the laughs run rampant.
2) Ministry can be very lonely at times. But, it’s in those times that I’ve learned I have to press into that loneliness and really seek after His face. Nothing besides Jesus Himself will curve that loneliness. Or the void I feel.
3) I don’t pray near enough for my girls.
4) I truly can do nothing of significance without the Lord. Everything I try to do or conjure up on my own is only in vain and will flop, or really make no difference whatsoever.
5) The faith that some of the girls I serve exude, is an absolute inspiration to me. I feel so privileged to be able to work with them. It is an honor I couldn’t have asked for!
6) More often than not, the plans I make get shot down. Years ago I planned on graduating and being married by now. Clearly, that’s not reality! So often I want to fight Him for taking away “my” plans, but then I remember that His plans are better than I could ever imagine. Whether or not I’m married.
7) Life is nothing but seasons, and I want to enjoy the season I’m in now and not rush it, as hard as that can be and as impatient I tend to be.
8) The girls I serve can smell a fake a mile away. I have no option to be anything but real with them and my struggles. I am so far from perfect. And I don’t ever want them to think I have it all together.
9) I still feel more than inadequate to do what I do. But, HE is equipping me.
10) I’ve never need the Lord more than I’ve needed Him this year. That may sound a little dramatic, but it’s the absolute truth. He is my Rock!
11) My hearts desire is that the girls I work with would have a love for Jesus that surpasses everything. Sometimes I feel like I expect so much out of them, but I want to expect a lot out of them!
12) Jr. High girls and High School girls are completely different, but I love them both.
13) According to the 6th grade girls, I am a giant. Especially when I wear heals.
14) I have a wonderfully, supportive staff that I appreciate so much. Their walking this journey with me, and at times, we’re all a little confused.
15) Youth pastors have a certain “look” about them, you can point them out in a crowd of a million. No lie.
16) In ministry, you have to be very, very flexible and at no time should you expect to have a consistent, normal schedule. I mean, what is normal anyway?
17) I wish I knew a million more things about the bible than I do. It’s just so thrilling and a lot of the times I don’t give it enough credit, or thought, or what have you. I should dig into it and read it a lot more than I do.
18) More and more this year I have desired consistency in my walk with the Lord, and more and more I realize that if I want that consistency, I have to be self-disciplined and more intentional about what I spend my time doing.
19) You can figure out a lot of information on Facebook. It makes all things official.
20) It is so hard not to have “ministry guilt” because I can’t get to know each and every girl that walks through those doors in a deep way. It’s just impossible, but oh, I love them.
21) My life is really busy, in a very inconsistent way.
22) I would be an absolute wreck without my lady volunteers. Seriously. They make my life about 100 times easier and I am so grateful for their service to me and the girls, and their awesome ideas. Plus, they make planning retreats and events way easier.
23) I have learned to delegate.
24) We absolutely, as a youth staff, cannot hold our meeting on our church campus. We tried it just last week, and the interruptions kept us from having long periods of productiveness or conversation. Hence why we hold our weekly meetings at Starbucks.
25) Being in ministry really is all about food. You eat non-stop.
26) Nothing is very shocking anymore. And boy oh boy, do I still have a long way to go.
27) Girl's Ministry is just flat fun. I have the best job in the entire world.
I am so grateful for the job I have. Sometimes I wonder how in the world the Lord would ever entrust me with such a position, but loving and discipline these girls has been nothing short of an absolute blessing. They’ve taught me more than I could ever teach them. They make me be real, they challenge me and I love it.
Most days I still feel like I just started yesterday and have no idea what I’m doing, but I am hopeful now that I have one year of ministry under my belt, that the Lord will continue to lead and guide me as I lead these girls. I pray He will. And I pray He’ll make me love Himself and these girls more than I ever could have imagined. He is up to something in Cypress, TX and I am thrilled to be along for the ride.
So, here’s to one year! Thanks for coming along with me for the journey. I am so grateful to each of you as well for your encouragement and love. It means the world to me!
5 comments:
I can't believe it's been a year!!! I remember when you went for your interview, and when you were just praying about what to do. I am just so glad God has given you this ability to minister to young girls; the girls need you, Linds! I love you, and I am so proud of you and the woman you've become! Congrats on your one year of ministry!!
I'm so stinkin' proud of you.
Really. You have no idea.
Hugs sweet girl,
Melinda
Lindsee Lou - GIRL - THIS LIST IS ROCK-SOLID AMAZING AND STRONG AND I AM THRILLED WITH YOU! It touched me so deeply. You are past just being on your way if you can formulate a list this great after only 1 year!
I have been a Pastor's wife for 31 years, and a Pastor's mother for 27, and girl, you've got it!
Ministry is very lonely and without Jesus - we cannot do a thing!
I just got home from attending my son's church on Mother's Day :) and loved hearing him preach a "Mother's Day Message."
I am so very thankful to God for His grace in all He has done in BOTH areas of ministry as a wife AND as a mom.
Love you much and Happy Anniversary,
Mrs. Jan
What a wonderful reflection on your first year. I am so humbled by your intense dedication to these girls and your faithfulness to God. I hope that someday I can serve HIM with as much love, passion, and kindness as you do!
You are such an amazing woman! I hope that one day we can meet face to face! I would love to hug your neck.... :)
I worked in girl's ministry for 3 years (In Dallas and Memphis). It definitely is hard work but so much fun! This list is SO TRUE!
I've really felt like God was calling me away from "church" ministry for now so I'm just working in the "world." (Even though I still work for a Christian ministry :)
My advice ---Not that you asked..... ;) ---- make sure you take some breaks every once in a while and focus on you. Even though it's so hard, it so beneficial to hang out with people your own age.
I think Satan really uses those feelings of loneliness to attack in BIG ways.
I didn't realize how much I needed it until I started doing it.
You may already be doing this, but I've heard the same things from so many people and how it has effected them and their ministries so I thought I would just pass it along!
Post a Comment