Thursday, May 6, 2010

I've Rejected Not One

As me and Jen loaded into sweet Karen’s car the Sunday morning we left Atlanta to come back to Houston, the topic of dating came up. To my surprise it was the first time dating came up the entire weekend and that thrilled me to no end. We were having far too much fun to dwell on the topic of any boy! I think her question was something to the effect of, So, are you dating anyone? or Are there any prospective boys in your life? And while part of me would have loved to have gone off in full detail about the amazing man the Lord had provided for me, I answered with a simple, Nope!

I wasn’t sure how much she knew about my story, so I went ahead and told her that I’d never dated anybody nor had I ever had a boyfriend. Karen is one of the most genuine; Jesus loving ladies you’ll ever meet and her response back to me was about what a neat testimony that was to the girls the Lord has allowed me to serve.

I completely agreed because more often than not, I’m able to encourage the girls when they think their life has gone to shreds because they either don’t have a boyfriend, or they’ve just been broken up with. I never want to dismiss their feelings, but I also want them to know that life is so much more than the boy next door. Plus, the fact that I’m living, breathing and thriving in life gives them a peace that they too will be okay even if it stinks at that moment. And that in all circumstances, God is still good, not because of what He does, but because of who He is. If that’s not a testimony for teenage girls, I’m not sure what is.

What Karen asked next is what I get asked often and which makes complete sense. She asked if I’d dated (as in gone on dates with different guys) and then just never pursued any of the guys further. My answer, yet again, was no. I’d not been on one date. I’d not even been asked on a date.

This exact question came up in my Q&A post in which Jenna asked, My question is such: is your 'never being kissed/taken on a date/no relationship’ due to choice or due to just never feeling like it was 'time'? (I suppose the latter would be choice as well.) In other words, have you rejected a lot?

Have I rejected a lot? I’ve rejected none.

Let me just say that if I stopped right there, and took a good look at my dating circumstances, I could get so depressed. What girl doesn’t want to be pursued? Asked on a date? Taken to a fancy restaurant? Hugged (or kissed, yes kissed) goodnight? It’s every girls dream to be swept away by her prince charming. Every. Single. Girl. Whether they admit it or not.

Let me also set the record straight that I’m not against dating whatsoever. I didn’t make some rule for myself when I was 10 that I wouldn’t date until I was 25. Nor did I make a rule that I wouldn’t date anybody except my husband. It’s just turned out that way. When people ask if I’ve ever been interested in anybody, I want to laugh. If you’ve been around me more than one hour, you probably know I’ve had multiple crushes at multiple times. I’m a girl. I like boys. Enough said.

However, the truth of the matter is, it just hasn’t happened for me. Am I depressed about that? Well, no. Yes, I’m sure the Lord’s holding a bottle of boy cried tears, and lonely tears here and there, but it doesn’t keep me down and out in the mornings. Do I know why it hasn’t happened? If I did, I could maybe tell you why the sky was blue, too.

What’s more clear to me now more than ever is that the Lord, for a reason only He knows, has guarded my heart and emotions from any boy. From my perspective, they’re just not interested in me. (That was really weird for me to type, but let me help you understand a little further why I say that.)

For instance, in the past year or so about three different people have tried to set me up with one of their single friends. Listen, I’m not against blind dates, nor am I against being set up. It’s been people that I trust and know and they know me, so why not? I’ve learned that sometimes your friends know more what you need than you do. It went as far as giving them my number, email, facebook, and so on. Pretty much any avenue they could get a hold of me, they'd been given. What came of it? Nothing.

I even met one of the guys at a party that a church here hosted. We chatted, talked, you know did the whole nice to meet you thing and that was it. If I said I wasn’t a little disappointed after that I’d be lying. Of course I was a tad upset, I’m human and I’m a girl. But it didn’t break me. The last thing I want to do is run some guy ragged myself just so he’ll ask me on a date. No ma’am.

One of the guys was all for meeting me, then a few weeks after he’d been given my number and information, he decided he wasn’t ready to be in the dating scene.

Do you see the pattern? They’re just not interested.

I don’t tell you this to gain any sympathy or to even have a pity party. I’m so over pity parties. (Until my next one creeps up on me!) What I do want you to know is that those boys not pursuing me is not a reflection of me whatsoever. It’s not because I’m fat, or ugly, or don’t dress cute enough, or am not outgoing enough, or am not godly enough, or whatever reason we girls can come up with. I truly believe it is the Lord keeping them from me and protecting my heart from them.

I don’t know why He’s chosen to protect my heart for so long. I do know that it’s His grace in my life. I do know He alone has spared me from many broken hearts. I do know that He is building in me something beautiful. I do know that He is sanctifying me through and through and molding me into the woman I am to be one day to my future husband. However future that may be. I do know that marriage is a legitimate desire of my heart that I believe He’s placed there and that He will be faithful.

I know that I have rejected not one date, nor has the Lord ever rejected me, my heart, or my desires. And He won't reject yours, either.

36 comments:

Amanda said...

Lindsee, my heart rejoices to hear all of this TRUTH packed into your blog post. Amen, amen, amen!

Nicole said...

Wow! I have never met you, Lindsee, but you are an amazing young women! What an awesome post! I love your realness and your perspective. You perceive your merchandise is good (Pr 31:18) which is why you can see this through truth and not rejection! :) He is absolutely protecting your heart!

I didn't get saved to college and made lots of mistakes. Oh, but God..... :)
He brought me an incredible man that is so perfect for me. We ended up waiting to kiss until we got married and it was glorious! Not to mention our marriage has been wonderful...even 13 yrs later!

Love your heart! May God continue to protect you and I pray your husband is far more than you can even imagine! Abundantly more :)

Anonymous said...

Me too.

Lindsee, I ran across your blog somehow and it jived with my juncture in life. Yep, I'm almost 25 and thoroughly single. You encourage me in Christ.

Thank you.

Raven said...

oh sweet linds... even though i already know this entire story already, i read it and thank the lord for such a godly friend in my life that is at such a place as this in our lives. i know that i say it often, but i absolutely do not know what i would do without you because you are such an encouragement of knowing that the lord is faithful and always will be! love you beautiful friend! you are going to have one blessed husband.. ;)!

Lindsay said...

wow thanks for writing and getting out the truth! us single girls needed to be reminded of that often.

Sarah said...

I love you, Linds. Here's a piece of advice from a married woman (and, yes, I realize you didn't ask for advice, but here it is). Combine your desire for a man with you previous post.... see where I'm going with this? Invite over all the guys you know who you might be interested in for one big party. Make the taco ring for them to eat. Guarantee you will have at least 3 proposals before the night is out.

Sarah M. said...

I'm 26...and much like you. I've rejected not one. And I found myself saying "Woohoo!" to much of your post! I have often thought to myself that God knows exactly what He is doing with my life - including my love (or lack thereof) life. I'm one who loves easily and quickly, and perhaps becomes attached too quickly at times. I know that God has spared my heart so much and I am ever grateful!

Keep using your testimony with those young ladies! I'm a Children's Ministry Director and am already using it with some of my 4th and 5th graders! It's when I get to send them on to teachers/mentors like you that my heart is overjoyed!

tara said...

<3 <3 <3

Gail said...

God bless you! I am printing this for my daughter to read someday! She is hopefully still years away from dating, but I am trying to prepare us all for that time in her life, and I am so blessed by what you have written! Thank you!

Missy said...

Love this post!

edub said...

So we don't know each other, but I just wanted to say that I am a fan of this post. It was encouragement and accountability to me - thank you!

Vivian said...

Like always I find myself pumping my fist in the air with agreement. I like you have reject no one. It gets frustrating sometimes..especially when you friends start getting married ( I have been to 4 bridal showers in the past month and by the end of year, I would have attended 7 weddings). But I know that after all this time of waiting and praying and believing ..God will not give me something that is not his absolute best. Sometimes I daydream about how I want my first kiss to feel and I want no regrets. I don't want to share such an amazing experience with anyone but the one God has picked for me. Keep praying sister!!! Remain blessed!

Marla Taviano said...

Oh my word, Lindsee. This is stinking awesome. I LOVE YOU!!!

p.s. Um, is my word verification supposed to say "singl" without the "e" on purpose?

Anonymous said...

You don't know me but I came across your blog from Joanna's. I just wanted to thank you for this post. It has encouraged me so much not to get upset because the one God has chosen for me hasn't shown up yet. Its amazing how God works in ways like this because this past week has been extra upsetting. THank you for sharing this.

Little Steps Of Faith said...

Linds:)

Hey girl!

I just have to say I love the title of this specifically, and someday I hope I will see a book:)
You are inspiring!

I'm in a complicated relationship right now(who thought that as a status LOL)- and I can't think but how easier it would have been if I would have waited on God and not let the world lead me...My first real boyfriend I was very young...and that innocence that I should have had...went to early...

So I applaud you girl, I am so proud of you, and I will pray that you continue to follow after Him:)

I am pretty sure you will:)

xoxo
ang

Lindsey said...

Girl, I had to stop reading about 1/3 of the way through to get some kleenex.

Friend...I agree with every single thing you said. Seriously, that is my life. Thanks for being so honest...totally transparent!

Praying for God to continue to guard our hearts...and give us the words to be able to communicate where we are in the best way to others.

Praying for your hubby...daily...really, daily. :)

Love ya, friend!

Lauren said...

My chin dropped because no joke, it was like you wrote my life out with your words. I am walking the same road as you. I’m in the same boat with the same ore. All I can say is WOW and I would love to have a cup of coffee with you and talk with you because it would be like identical twins talking!! Just WOW!!

Holly said...

I love something in particular about this post, Lindsee. Let me tell you what it is... I have met you. I know you through email and meesages and posts. You are a beautiful, delightful and wonderful woman of God!

It's as if God winked at you to show you that He is keeping you in this place for a wonderful purpose--a story that He alone is writing over your life.

He is writing a beautiful love story over your life, beautiful one!! I know it. It's a story for the ages and generations to come...and I'm smiling just thinking about it.

Lauri said...

Lindsee Lou! You are THE MOST PRECIOUS!

Lauren said...

Hey Lindsee,
Loved this. There is a special girl in my life that's about your age who is feeling the same way. Your testimony about it rocks.

Anonymous said...

thanks for this blog! you have no idea how much it touched my heart. i myself am about to graduate college and i was so down because i just broke up with the guy i thought was the "one" and thought i would never find someone else, i have been so broken hearted, and this really did help more than you know. thanks for being so real and using what the lord is doing in your life to help other.

Anonymous said...

That's amazing Lindsay! I'm right where you are right now except I've been married and divorced already but I have no interest to jump back in the 'dating' industry. My heart is content serving Him and raising my son the way He wants me to raise him.

Thanks for sharing that. :)

Jenna said...

Girl.

Girl, girl, girl.

I think you are Texas Jenna and I am Georgia Lindsee (i know, take a moment - that's deep).

Seriously we are the same person -except that you have a way of taking our similar (aka exact same) story and making it make sense...and glorify the Lord in amazing ways!!!

I love you. The end.

Love,
Your twin in GA

P.S. please come to GA soon so I can jump thru car windows and hug you.

Jessica said...

Goodness. all I gotta say is AMEN!!
well, ha not really 'all'. Such a true and honest post..I've made some bad decisions in my past, and it has resulted in heart breaks and tears and disappointment- some "I guess I'm not good enough's" and "If I could just be skinnier, prettier, more funny..yadda yadda" ..I have definitely come to learn that Mr. Right Now just is NOT worth any of it! just gotta have faith and trust that He knows best (:

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

What a sweet post..gave me more insight into knowing you...You are a special lady....Have a few hours to blog hop and nothing makes me happier.
I have a GREAT GIVEAWAY that I will be drawing for on Sunday night.

Angela Baylis said...

Good morning, Lindsee! I know you are not fishing for encouragement, but I want you to know that I'm praying for your future spouse. I bet God is preparing his heart right now for you! My son who is almost 24 years old is definitely not ready to meet the right girl yet. When he is ready I hope he can meet a girl exactly like you (if not you)! You are such a gift. You have no idea! At this time of your life you could be collecting a whole truckload of baggage (from wrong relationships), but you are not. You are filling your heart with what is good. Don't ever listen if Satan tries to get you to believe there is something wrong with you! Keep having fun! You are magnetic! Maybe God wants you to meet a guy in Michigan (well, North Carolina right now until he graduates from law school) who is just a tad shorter than you!

Much love, Sweetie! Thank you for this beautiful post!
Angie xoxo

Unknown said...

Lindsee Lou - what a beautiful story of "dating Jesus" while waiting for HIS special "Mr. Right" for you! Been prayig for your future spouse many times, off-and-on... won't stop NOW! Love you.

Nina said...

Thanks so much for this! I sent this out to a bunch of sistas!

Anonymous said...

This was a great reminder for me to hear. I've been on only two dates (with the same guy mind you) and that was 5 years ago. I completely agree with you in saying they just arent interested and its not anything I do or don't do its simply because the Lord in his infinite knowledge and wisdom has deemed it necessary to protect my heart completely and I am so thankful. thanks for being honest :)

Fran said...

I absolutely adore you! I'm so glad to know you.

Love you to pieces!

Heather said...

Great post, I love hearing your heart. I can't wait to see what God does in your life and how He uses you!!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing story of faith, grace, and maturity! You have an awesome story and I appreciate you sharing. You will have such a wonderful testimony for your children one day.
Thank you for your testimony of faithfulness.

Gabby said...

I am always amazed at how God works miracles in our lives. I too am living the same story. I am 24 and have never been on a date. Of course there are guys I have liked but they haven't been interested in me. I continuously have to stop myself from thinking that I am being punished or that I am too....(fill in the blanks) and no man wants me.

After reading your post, I truly do believe that God is protecting our hearts. The husbands he has for us are going to be well worth the wait and a true blessing in our lives. Sometimes, I still think "Why can't I have someone? Why does everyone else get to date?" I have to keep reminding myself that the path God has for me is for me only and that I cannot follow someone else's path or live the life they have lived. The only thing I can do during times like this is continue to strengthen my relationship with God and work on becoming the woman He wants me to be.

So to you and all the other women who have similar stories I encourage you to stay positive because we can't even imagine the blessings coming our way.

Angela Baylis said...

I loved it just as much today!
Thanks!
Angie xoxo

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and read this post - thanks so much for writing this! It really ministered to my heart. I'm 39 and still believing that God has someone for me and is protecting me for the right time. I don't want to discourage you - I'm sure it will happen for you sooner than this!!! But just wanted to thank you for making yourself vulnerable. I look forward to keeping up with you in the future! God bless!

Anonymous said...

I'm 19 and in college and been so depressed about this very issue. A friend told me to read this and I was SO encouraged and realized that I was buying into Satan's lies and not the Lord's TRUTH. Thank you for sharing your heart---the Lord is using you in the lives of MANY.