Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Passion 2012

Almost six months ago, this past July, I learned during a really special meeting that LPM was going to sponsor 1000 young women to attend Passion 2012 in Atlanta. During the middle of all of that chatter, I also learned that I would be heading that way as well with LPM. To say I was pumped would be a vast understatement.

For whatever reason, I have never personally been able to attend a Passion conference. I think a lot of that was due to the fact that during my college years they took some time off to travel around the world, but it just never worked out for me.

I’ve been a part of the conference every year in the smallest way possible in that I have owned every CD passion has ever released to the general public. And need I even say they are some of my favorite worship CD’s? It just doesn’t get much better. So, to have the opportunity to go, spend time with girls, and worship alongside 44,000 other people sounded good to me.

Last Monday morning, very early, six of us from LPM hopped on a plane together headed to Atlanta, I had very few expectations. I just wanted to hear from the Lord. I got to serve as a group leader while the rest of the crew all served as volunteers, mostly in the capacity of serving in a community group. Serving as a group leader just allowed me time to hang out and minister to the thousands of college girls attending. Could there be a better job? I submit that there cannot.

The sweetest thing was that I got spend most of my time with two groups of girls that I’ve known for quite some time and used to be their bible study leader. I loved that and loved my time with them.

When I say we didn’t stop from the time we touched base in Atlanta to the time we left, I am not exaggerating or lying one bit. We literally landed, dropped our stuff off at the hotel, and then the fun began.

Picture with me 44,000 people trying to register at one time. Yes, the line was out the door and wrapped around the convention center. I have literally never seen anything like it, little did we know, it was just a taste of what the rest of the week would look like. Lines, crowds, lines, crowds, a little more waiting, a little more patience and a little more crowds. People were EVERYWHERE. It was crazy town.

That night as Passion started, the dome was pumped up. Before anyone took one step on that platform, different folks read from the Word so we could acclimate. It was powerful. From that moment on, the Spirit of the Lord fell on that dome and His presence was felt. Louie Giglio welcomed us, welcomed the band, welcomed the choir (oh, the choir), and challenged us with a word to rise up!

One thing I have to add here is that if every choir in the world had as much passion and energy as the Passion choir, I can almost guarantee that every church would still have a choir. They were amazing! Of course, I’m a choir girl myself so they may have had a small impact on me, but I think they made the worship times all the richer.

Once the first session was over students and group leaders alike headed to community groups for the first time where we’d be placed with a family group that we’d come to know and love. The group leaders were really blessed in that we had some really special visitors everyday such as Louie Giglio, Francis Chan and John Piper. Can you say spoiled? It was really sweet.

The rest of the week went as follows:

Wake up before the sun, eat breakfast, head to morning community group, go straight from CG to the main session, go to lunch (yes, they fed all 44,000 of us. Whoa.), go to main session #2, try and find dinner with 44,000 other people in a matter of two hours, end your day with main session #3, meet with your community group, go to late night (late night was a concert each night by David Crowder Band or Hillsong), get to your hotel by 1:00 AM, fall in your bed and do it all over again. Exhausting? Yes, in every sense of the word. Worth it? Absolutely.

In the middle of all of that, we had the sweet pleasure of meeting with the 1000 girls LPM had the privilege of sponsoring. That may have been my favorite part of the week. They were the sweetest, most gracious group of girls ever. We got to hug and pray over them, which was really neat. For me, it was fun putting a lot of those names with faces.

I am still processing so much personally like, what does all of the truth I heard mean for me? My ministry? The girls I serve? There is a lot in my head, but it’s all wonderful.

There is one thing I know for sure, our God is a big God. If you’ve grown up in church like me, I know you know that and hear that all the time, but He really is so big. I have made Him so little in my mind for so long. I am a firm believer that we need to make sure our students understand that the same God they experienced at Passion is the same God they can experience in their own bedroom. His Word is living and active and will change your life. I love a good week at camp, but I never want it to be a spiritual high, I want life change. However, being at Passion is most definitely a wonderful kick-start that I wish every college student could experience. Yesterday somebody at lunch summed it up right when they said they feel like they’re on an IV of the Holy Spirit at Passion. That’s so true. The Lord has granted much favor upon those conferences and I watched lives be changed. It was incredible.

To get your focus off of circumstances and on a big God that loves you dearly and invites you to know Him intimately is one of the best things anyone can experience. All of the sudden, your worries seem small and your God astounding. He can take it all and deal with all of it, even when you feel like you’re spinning out of control.

One thing I absolutely cannot get over is the sacrifice the students made to help free slaves all over the world. At the beginning of the week Louie challenged to the students to raise one million dollars to help free captives, at the end of the week, not only did the students raise one million dollars, they far surpassed the goal and raised over THREE MILLION dollars. Tell me that’s not amazing! Do not count this generation out, y’all. They’re here to fight for freedom. They’re going to fight to know God personally despite what this world is throwing at them. There is nothing greater than seeing Jesus in them. It is sweet.

God’s name and renown is the desire of their hearts. Oh Lord, may they live boldly for you. In Jesus’ name.

This is how they spelled my name at Starbucks the morning we left. Hello, my name is Linzze.
Sabrina, KMac, Kimberley and me about to head out!
We met some sweet girls headed that way as well. So fun!

Kelli and I on the plane!
A sea of students registering.
Welcome to The Dome.
We are here for you, Jesus!

Beth bringing us a word on Tuesday morning.
Later that day we got to meet with the 1000 sponsored girls. Here they are! Precious.
Mary and I. : )
A sweet group of girls I know from A&M. I've known Taylor, on the very far left, her entire life!
The girls I spent the majority of my time with. And also my old Bible study girls. I love them to bits!
Sara and I on the last morning.
My sweet friend Raven was their as a group leader with her church so it was super fun getting to be with her and Nick all week. The last morning we were twinkies on accident!
One last TIRED picture before we headed out! We were exhausted! Love her.

Louie Giglio sending us out on a strong word. So thankful for that man and his vision.


Thank you, LPM and Passion, for letting me experience an incredible week. I am forever grateful.

"Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should." Ephesians 6:19-20

6 comments:

Lauren said...

Hi I am one of your unknown blog readers and I just feel so compelled to tell you how much the paragraph below is speaking to my heart. Thank you for your wonderful words I really needed to read this today! Your words are a blessing to my life.

To get your focus off of circumstances and on a big God that loves you dearly and invites you to know Him intimately is one of the best things anyone can experience. All of the sudden, your worries seem small and your God astounding. He can take it all and deal with all of it, even when you feel like you’re spinning out of control.

Lindsey said...

So glad you were able to experience Passion live and in person for the first time. It truly is amazing, isn't it?! God is still working on my heart from all the messages and worship. So much stuff that it's hard to take it in all at once! Hate we didn't get the chance to connect this time...but I loved knowing that you were there somewhere.

Many thanks to LPM for all they did to get so many fabulous girls there! That outpouring of love and support did the hearts of many more than those 1000 good!

Annie said...

Lindsee, I love this! I've been reading a ton of Passion recaps lately and I love hearing everyone's different experiences. I wanted to go and had heard of the LPM sponsorships, but didn't quite feel I qualified, and I realized only right before Passion I should have applied anyway. Ah, well. Hopefully next year I can go!

Penny said...

Love you Lindsee! Thank you forgiving on those "CNN" girls pictured above! We need to connect soon...

Angie said...

Hi Linzze (SO cute!),

God is so good and SO big! I love this: "the same God they experienced at Passion is the same God they can experience in their own bedroom."

I have a totally random question for you (and it's not about where you bought your jacket or if you are ready to date my son ;). What font do you have on this blog? You are on blogger, but did you have to buy it or was it free? Do you know the name of your font? It's my favorite and I want it so badly!

I'm so happy for all you are doing at LPM!
Hugs,
Angie

p.s. I wish I was able to go to the SMT celebration this year, but unfortunately I won't be there this time. I wish I could see you and get a hug!
xoxo

Unknown said...

Hey Lindsee! I just tagged you in my recent blog post! :)