Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Fashion Icon

Last Sunday, as my dad was walking into the service at church, he was behind three middle school girls. Naturally they were chatting it up and of course, being my dad, he eavesdropped in on the whole conversation.

Just the fact that he listened to them tickles me, but it was later on at lunch when he recounted to me the entire conversation that I was extremely humored.

Let me recount it to you:

Girl #1 to girl #2: "Yeah, she is totally my fashion icon."

Girl #3: "Who are y'all talking about?"

Girls #1 & #2: "Lindsee Eddy."

Girl #3: "Oh yeah, she's totally mine, too."

Girl #1: "Yeah, she's tall like me so I can wear whatever she wears."

What they didn't know is that my dad was behind them and he was giggling.

Y'all, I just laughed. I mean, it is so precious and I feel completely loved, but I just never knew I was a fashion icon. Does that mean I get to start my own clothing line soon? Ha!

However, fashion icon aside, it got me thinking.

These are the girls I minister to.

They may never in their life hear one word I say to them.

They may never remember one bible study I taught them.

They may never remember one event I planned.

But, I can tell you one thing, they are watching my every action, word, move, and dress whether I like it or not. Or whether I am "on" or not.

Which means that I best be living above reproach.

I'm not saying I have to have everything together at all times, they absolutely need to see my flaws and weaknesses, but my prayer is that they would see Christ in all I do and say. And that I would intentionally point them to Christ whenever I get the chance. It's not the easiest thing in the world, you know, living like Christ and all, because clearly I am still human and have no problem gratifying my flesh, but if I really have girls dressing like me, I sure as heck don't want them to be dressing in skimpy little things.

If I have girls talking like me, I don't want them talking trash.

If I have girls acting like me, I hope they are acting like Christ.

I truly don't say any of this to toot my own horn. To be completely honest, I am the least of these when it comes to fashion icons. (I mean, don't get me wrong, I love me some clothes, love them, but I didn't know loving clothes makes you a fashion icon.) It's just the reality of my job. And a huge reality check for me.

I once heard someone say that everybody has at least seven people looking up to them at one time. So that means that you, yes you yourself, could be a fashion icon.

But really, if that is true, don't you hope and pray that they see Christ in your life? That they see a set apart life?

I do. I really, really do. And I know it's super hard.

However, if you by chance are wondering how in the world you too can become a fashion icon, look no further. You've come to the right place. Click here and you'll be a fashion icon in minutes.

It's as easy as 1, 2...9.

And remember, don't ever overdue the accessories. That is totally a fashion woe.

5 comments:

Jaclyn said...

ok, i so love this lindsee! Adorable...and i think you are my fashion icon too :)

connorcolesmom said...

That is precious and a true
testiment to the fact that kids
do "catch" eveything we do & say
I love that you want them catching you reflecting Jesus
You are amazing sweet Linds!!
Much love
Kim

Jenny said...

Um, I am not in middle school.. but you are totally my fashion icon. For reals.

Kelli said...

I can guarantee those girls are picking up more than just fashion tips from you!!! :)

You are a great role model!

Jon and Sally said...

My very FIRST thought when I was reading this over Jon's shoulder (he reads your blog!! :0) quickly became a spoken word. And I said it loud, "She's TOTALLY MY fashion icon!"
And that's all I have to say. :0)
Oh and one more thing... I was thinking about purchasing some long legs...did you get yours at Macy's?? PERFECT accessory. Great choice.
Sally