Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Biggest Loser

As most of you know, I have a bizarre obsession with the show, The Biggest Loser. Whenever I tell people that, they look at me with an estranged look and ask, “Why do you like it so much? It’s not like you need to lose 100 pounds!” And no, if I lost 100 pounds I would essentially be laying on my death bed.

There are many reasons I love that show, none of which are the mere fact that I feel like I need to lose tons of weight.

Truth be told, that show is so much more than big people losing insane amounts of weight. It’s about getting their life back, changing their life completely and becoming healthy from the inside out. And that, folks, is why I am more than intrigued with this show. I love nothing more than watching people who are willing to do the work change their life. I think that is why I love working with girls doing the ministry I am doing as well. When the girls decide that they want to pursue Jesus and love Him more, it thrills my heart. There is nothing sweeter than watching a life being transformed!

Now, clearly Biggest Loser isn’t a show that presents the gospel in any way, shape or form, but they way that Bob and Jillian get down to the nitty gritty with the contestants, reminds me of how Jesus gets down to the nitty gritty with us. There is a reason these people are obese and when they are willing to face the deeper issues, is when change takes place. It’s the same with us. When we’re willing to face our real issues and let Jesus deal with us and heal us, is when change takes place for us, too.

This may sound extremely cheesy, but when I see that they are strong enough to face the real issues and get better, it inspires me to do the same. Both physically and emotionally! We all have junk to deal with. And seriously, if they can work out for an insane amount of hours a day, and push themselves to the limit, I think that when I am doing Shred (by the sweet, understanding Jillian Michael’s herself) I can do the same. I can push myself in my workouts!

It also reminds me that we need a community of people to do life with. A community of people that understand what we’re going through! Even though the contestants come to the ranch complete strangers, they leave as best friends. Why? Because they all fight a monstrous food addiction and encourage one another where they’re at. No judgment. No nothing. They are in the fight together.

We too are in a fight together. Shouldn’t we be encouraging one another instead of tearing one another up?

As much as Bob and Jillian yell in their faces and are more than rude at times, it’s essentially tough love. (Disclaimer: That does NOT mean I endorse the cussing. I really could do without! Especially last night in the premier when Jillian dropped the “F” bomb a gazillion times. Not necessary!) However, sometimes we all need a little wake up call. No more excuses. When is enough enough? When are we finally tired of our sin like they are tired of their weight?

This may sound completely crazy to all of you, and frankly, I could be way off base, but those are the reasons I love that silly show. It’s inspiring. It’s emotional. It’s thrilling. And it is a fun journey to watch and completely guilt free, unlike so many other T.V. shows out there today!

I may not have 100 pounds to lose, but I have more sin to lose than I’d ever like to admit or own up to.

And seriously, I mean come on, who really does not love Bob and Jillian? (First confession: Bob is certainly a catch. Eye candy. Whatever you want to call it, he’s mighty fine. Confession is the first step to healing, no?) Or this seasons contestants for that matter? Sweet Abby? Hello, homegirl lost everything, yet still get’s up every day and is willing to fight to get her life back. Plus, straight out of her mouth last night she flat out said that “her weight does not define who she is!” Amen, sister! Nor does our sin define who we are! Ten huge fists pumps, folks! And we can’t forget Shay, or Daniel or Sean, our in house youth pastor. This season is going to be huge, and needless to say, I am pumped.

So, there you have it, folks. Now you know why I love the show so much! It’s the only show, in my opinion, that is actually doing some good. It’s making a difference. It’s changing people’s lives. It is plain inspiring in ten million different ways.

Maybe I’m just living vicariously and need to deal with my own obsession issues, but either way, it will always be a favorite.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to get to L.A. and see the taping of the live finale! Ha! Wouldn’t that be so great? Best Bucket List item ever. Who wouldn’t want to give those precious ones a hug? Oh, I would love that.

Hmm, maybe for that matter I should just move to L.A. and work for Biggest Loser. You think they need a chaplain?

I kid, I kid.

Maybe.

9 comments:

beckyjomama said...

I love this show too! And, while I do need to lose SOME weight, I don't need to lose 100 pounds ... at least I don't THINK I do :)

Yes, this season is gonna be HUGE. And I feel the same way, it's about more than being skinny, it's about being healthy. And did not the great Physician come so we can all be "healthy"? Yeah, I think so!

(and yes, a few too many f bombs, for sure!!)

Deidre said...

I thought the same thing last night, Lindsee (with both the cussing and the concept of enough is enough). I have rarely watched the show but was so intrigued by the concept of fighting to get lives back - just as we (I) do when fighting my way out of captivity.

Kelli said...

If they needed a chaplain, you would be their woman!!

Anonymous said...

"This season is going to be huge ..." Was that pun intended?!?! LOL. Just kidding.

Excellent post, Lindsee!

Jenny said...

You really don't need to justify your love for the Biggest Loser. It's okay. No one thinks you're silly for liking that show. We all do :)

love you pumpkin

Dana said...

I'm hooked!

Heather said...

I love this show too and I have never watched it from episode 1 to the finale!! I think I can do it!! That is the motto isn't it??

Lindsey said...

I've been so behind on my blog reading but as I watched Biggest Loser last week, I was thinking about you...knowing that you would be blogging.

But wow...what a parallel. Thanks so much for sharing!

I can hardly wait to see what is going to happen with this season. I for one am definitely praying that Sean will be on for a long time!

Adam & Emily said...

Last week was my first time to watch a full episode and I got so into it and I wanted to work out. Do you not just want to go running after watching it!?

Emily

PS
Next time you are in the southwest you HAVE to visit:) We have a room for you:)