Let me say that more than anything I’m so excited to be turning 25. Does being 25 make you an official adult?! Either way, I’m thrilled and excited to see what the next 25 years hold.
However, a friend once told me that 25 was her hardest birthday.
She was single.
I didn’t really understand that because even though birthdays can be somewhat tough when you’re single, I just adore birthdays. Truly, they’re so fun for me. And I don’t just mean my birthday, I like to make a big deal out of everyone’s birthday. So I’ve done everything I can to try to avoid having a stinky 25th birthday.
But Friday night when I got in bed I just lost it. A meltdown might be a more appropriate term.
I’m just being completely honest and vulnerable here in hopes that I can encourage somebody.
There were multiple reasons why the meltdown occurred, but what I’m positive pushed me over the edge was my birthday.
25.
I don’t know about you, but I’ve had every minute of my little life planned out since I was a little girl.
My wedding that was supposed to happen after I graduated from college. Then the babies that were supposed to come. Then we’d grow old together and so on and so forth. You get the picture.
Even when I turned 24 I had this little glimmer of hope that maybe this would be the year. That surely the Lord would bless me in that way. That I’d turn 25 entering into a different season of life.
Clearly, I’m on the last day of being 24 and there’s no husband. No boyfriend. And certainly no children. Same season.
To say I was overwhelmed and even, yes, disappointed would be an understatement. I felt like I couldn’t gain control of my emotions.
It was then, though, that it dawned on me. As silly as I felt, it was a release I needed more than anything. I realized that at that moment, I was mourning the loss of my dreams and plans not coming true. I felt like I was sitting at a funeral of a dear friend, and quite frankly, I was. I was mourning the loss of my plans.
I’ve held onto my dreams, my plans and my hopes for so long and so hard that I’ve never fully handed them to Christ to let Him deal with them and maybe even change my heart or my dreams.
As much as I wanted to be angry with Him and disappointed with Him for not granting my every wish, I was more disappointed in myself. I’m the one who’s hung onto them so tightly when He’s the one who’s been so faithful and hasn’t promised anything He’s not then given to me. He’s promised me Himself. The end. And that is enough. Anything beyond that is a blessing.
Most episodes that occur like that I would consider a pity party, but I honestly believe it was a releasing of my plans to Him. Fully surrendering my plans that I’ve held onto for so long. I don’t know why I continue to hold onto my plans so tightly when time and time again they’ve left me empty and disappointed. But I’m human.
So tomorrow even though I’m not entering into a different season, I’m definitely entering into a different perspective.
Some peoples’ lives go exactly as they have planned to the T. Mine has not.
As soul crushing as that can be, I’m thankful for the sanctification. I’m thankful to know He is still working major things out in my very flawed humanness. I’m thankful to know He’s not done with me yet. I’m thankful to know that I believe in a God of hope. A God who does have greater plans for me than I can imagine. I’m thankful for a God who comforts me at my weakest hour even when it’s me who’s messed up. I’m thankful that He has compassion on me and that He hears me. And I'm more than thankful that I realize my need for a Savior.
Last year I memorized Proverbs 19:21 and I think now more than ever I’m holding onto it and claiming it for dear life. If that isn’t the theme verse of my life, I don’t know what is.
Many, many are the plans in my heart and many, many are the plans that have been crushed. But the Lords purpose and plans will never fall to the ground. Never. I’m taking that one, as Beth Moore would say, to the spiritual bank.
Tomorrow I’m praying for joy. The truth is, who can honestly have a rough birthday when you’re surrounded by friends and family that make you feel exceptionally loved? Either way, I will choose joy. I needed that moment Friday night. But I can't stay in that state. It's unhealthy. And quite frankly, after that release I don't think I've ever felt more free or more joy at that moment.
And even when I think my life should go entirely different than He might have planned, I trust Him. I honestly do. Yes, I’ll continue to wrestle with Him and surrender to Him, but I trust Him.
A girl can still hope. And a girl can still dream. But a girl needs to be careful and wise in how she plans. Because the Lords plans will always trump my own.
22 comments:
Well first of all let me say Happy Happy bday to you. I remember my 25th bday... I celebrated for three days..so much fun!! I just want to say that you should definitely look at this next phase of your life with the utmost positivity. There are a lot of people at 25 who have not accomplished a lot or can not say to have the kind of spiritual maturity that you have. If you do not have the things you think you should have had by now, its not becuase God is punishing you or being mean..but becuase he is preparing you for better because "His ways are higher than our ways". Have an awesome day tomorrow and enjoy the blessings of life that God has given you. Cheers!!!
Girl, the year ahead is going to be your best one yet. I just know it!! Lindsee, I am going to be 26 this month and I’m walking the same road you are. And you are not alone. You have encouraged me so much through this post. Thank you a million times over!
Happy Birthday, darlin' girl. I stand amazed at your maturity; you have taken hold of a truth that many people never fully understand in ALL their years on this earth. This understanding and release might just be the very thing that catapults you into the season God has waiting for you. I once heard a dear friend share something that was so pivotal for me, and I think it's exactly what you're doing:
"God won't take you to the next level until you let go of the one you're on."
You're free now to sit in the middle of HIS will...HIS plans. I can't wait to see where He takes you!
xo M
wow. love this post. that is a verse i read a few weeks ago and it really opened my eyes. i just graduated from college and am now trying to figure out what comes next for me...and i just have to keep hope that i have a purpose and things will work out just as perfectly as HE has planned, not what I have planned.
happy birthday, btw... hope you have a fun-filled day!
Lindsee, This is a very profound post!
Happy 25th Birthday to you!
I will be 47 on Thursday, the 3rd.
God did bless me with a wonderful, Godly husband and three beautiful and handsome children, and is blessing me with grandchildren, but I still have to trust Him for what is the next job He has for me, and just Trust Him Always.
Thank you again for this post and enjoy your birthday!
Lindsee,
I must say...you are amazing! Thank you so much for this post...and for your blog! You are such an amazing writer and you convey your emotions so eloquently. First off...Happy Birthday! I hope your day is absolutely wonderful! Although I am not struggling with the *exact* topic as you, this post really hits home to me on another level. I have been struggling with my career/job and future for quite some time now. At times, I feel like a caged animal, just clawing to get out of the miserable, unhappy situation that I'm in at work. But for some reason, I'm still there...and not by my own choosing, that's for sure!
Your verse on Proverbs really hit home to me, and I have other verses at my desk computer at work to keep me going throughout the day. Because frankly, that's all I can ask for at times...for the Lord to just help me get through the day. I too, am mourning the loss of my plans. I figured, once I had my master's degree, that things would just magically fall into place and I would have a job that I adore...quite the opposite! But I certainly know that the Lord's path is better than my own and I try every day to remind myself of that. And there's a reason that he has me in this season of my life. And it IS just a season...much like your situation.
I know I dont have to tell you this, but you are such a beautiful woman, INSIDE and OUT! And your love for the Lord is so amazing...something that I truly admire! And one day...the Lord will bring you that man who He's been preparing especially for you, and what a wonderful story you will have for your future husband and children!
You are so precious...what a wonderful place to be on your 25th birthday...completely surrendered to HIS plans...from experience can I tell you, that as I look back on "my plans" and what I wanted when I wanted it, I am so thankful that God's plans reigned. He is faithful and CAN be trusted to do immeasurably more. I remember many tears wondering if ever there would be a husband and what was so amazing was that when Ben and I finally met he was 28 and I was 24.5, was that we were both happy in the lives we were living as single people. There are times now, that I literally cry in joy thanking the Lord that he saved my heart and protected me all of those years for my husband. As my friend said, and I may have shared this with you before, these were my dreams (hands apart 10 inches), these were my wildest dreams (hands apart 18 inches) and this is what God gave me (hands apart as far as they will go). The story, timing, and person were never what I would have planned...they were BETTER! AND it is worth the wait...whatever he has for you. Just wanted to encourage you...I have been there, God is such a faithful father and loves to do things with our lives that bring him the absolute greatest glory. You just keep falling in love with HIM and being obedient...he IS faithful! Blessings to you, and happy birthday!!
Girl! Amanda (babybangs) blogged on this verse today--you've probably seen it--and I've been thinking on it ever since. And how right you are--the Word is! :)--a girl better be wise and careful about what she plans. At 23, I hear you loud and very clear. Thanks so much for the encouragement.
::Taylor
And, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I love them, too.
ps. My word verification is "restin" -- Psalm 37? :)
Happy Birthday Lindsee! You have more wisdom and maturity at 25 than I ever did. And while we don't know His reasons for not ordering your life according to your plan, you are so right in saying that we can know He has greater plans for you, in the next year, and in all your years.
I wish you great joy and blessings and hope you spend your special day surrounded with family and friends!
Adrienne
Thank you for this post!
Happy birthday!!
Girl...you had me tearing up at work.
Love this...and you. I remember going through this exact thing myself. I'll never forget a walk I took when I was almost 25...before I knew it I was crying my eyes out. Praying for you daily, friend. Believe me, I know how hard it is to remember sometimes that His ways are better than ours...but it's so true. Praying that on the hard days that He surrounds you with blessings and reminders of HIs faithfulness.
Love you oodles...and happy early birthday!!
Lindsee!
Can I just say that you are one of the most beautiful human beings I have ever met? And I mean beautiful in every way possible: physically, spiritually, etc.You are such an encouragement in so many lives. And although this might not come across well, it is comforting to know that I'm not the only one that is puzzled trying to live life to the fullest.
Thanks for being you and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :]
Happy Birthday!
This post was perf. Sometimes mourning is necessary and part of letting go. But we do have to let go and surrender. I don't know why I am trying to summarize what you said when what you said was already so perfect.
Anyway, Isaiah 43:18, 19 was and continues to be huge for me. I don't want to miss the new thing He is constantly doing in my life and in me. I just don't.
Thanks for your post.
Lindsee,
You inspire me. SO much! You are an amazingly beautiful woman of God and have overcome so many trials. You have such maturity in every situation. One thing I admire the most is how content you are. You are also so willing to submit your plans to Him, which can be hard to do. I love you so much darling! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!
Happy Birthday to you! I hope that your day is full of fun and love! I want to add to so many of the other testimonies on your blog about trusting in the Lord's goodness. I admire you so much for who you are and what you are looking for in your life! I have had MANY a boyfriend and now that I have found the one that I want to spend forever with, I wish that I did not have those other boyfriends in my background! And, just as an affirmation of how wonderful our God is--know that He has found someone even more wonderful than your wildest hopes and dreams! I will be praying for you, sister!
love, love, LOVE your perspective. thank you Lindsee! I always seem to forget that it's God's plans that work the universe even though I may not see it and that He is faithful even though I may not see that either. happy 25th birthday!
Happy Birthday!!!
I just turned 27 on Monday. I had a breakdown/pity party when I turned 25 as well - for the very same reason. It was a release. I needed to take my hands off it and give it to God. It's definitely the place to leave such desires! Just to warn you, you may try and pick it up again. Surrender it again as soon as you realize you're carrying it!
Enjoy the year. Pursue God! Make new friends! All seasons are from God!
Lindsee, 25 was definitely my hardest birthday. It definitely made me take a hard look at my life. You are an amazing young woman and God is using you mightily. I'm sorry you're having to wait on things your heart deeply desires. I pray with you that it's coming soon!
I love your blog! Thank you for your testimony. I just keep thinking about what the Lord sees from His perspective. "If you could only see what I see. If you only knew what I have in store for you. Wait for it. It is going to be soooo worth it!" That is something I can apply to so many areas of my own life!
Bless you!
Gail
Hi Lindsee-
Happy belated birthday! I found your blog from Kelly's Korner. :) I just wanted to comment on your post, and hopefully encourage you as well.I wish we could sit over coffee and chat. I know we would be friends! I have been involved with youth ministry for 10 years now, and love to disciple young women.
I know what it is like to wait. I know what it is like to wait in hope, and also what it is like to wait with bitterness. The LORD graciously turned the times of waiting in bitterness to hopeful times. Those times weren't easy, but my Father so clearly told me that bitterness isn't the answer because all He wanted was for me to trust Him. And that is the bottom line...do I really trust He knows what is best? Do I trust that He knows that like you I have prayed for years to walk in life and ministry with a man?
I turned 31 in October. Never really seriously dated. Never been kissed either. Believe me, I understand. But I also was not going to settle and I was going to wait on the LORD. Always wait on Him. And in March, the floodgates opened. The LORD has redeemed the years the locusts have eaten. And I know His plans are always better. He has graciously given me a gift in my fiance David. Yes, I realize it is June. Yes, it only took us 8 weeks. :0) But He is so good, and we both have waited on His timing.
I say all of that to say rest in hope. Surrender often. Love your girls well. Continue to show them what a life of purity and holiness looks like. You are making such a difference! One of my favorite things Beth Moore said in the Esther study was that God's time is our PRIME.
I hope that your youth camp goes well!!
Amy in Arkansas
Our story: http://drmanningfamily.blogspot.com
Post a Comment