Thursday, September 22, 2011

With Nothing in Sight

For the longest time, I was the girl whose testimony lent itself to never having gone on a date with a boy. I am sure people got tired of hearing my story, but it was mine to tell and I had no power of changing it on my own.

What always stood out to me as I told my story were the responses I received from people. The best response was when girls would ask if I ever liked anybody, to which I always replied, and probably not so gently, “Um, duh!” Or in the words of Madea, “Um, der!” Of course I’ve liked guys! I’m a girl with feelings after all. And I’ve not just liked them. I’ve had major crushes. When I fall, I fall hard. Yes, I may or may not have had a few obsessions. What you need to know about me, though, is that I’m not very fickle. When I like a guy, I tend to like him for a long time. Like, really long. I could easily have one crush for two years. I wish I were lying.

Over time, though, I have learned a lot about crushes. Allow me to share one take-away: they waste so much of your time.

I know that sounds funny because they probably don’t even realize you exist, or have the slightest clue you’re interested, but they do, they really do.

Shall I list why?

Daydreams. Oh, the daydreams. In one day I could have gone on our first date. Gone on a second date. Decided we were going to be official. Kissed him. Dated for approximately 12 months. Gotten engaged and gotten married. All in one day. It was exhausting.

Stalking. Oh, the stalking. These days stalking means “friending” them on facebook or “following” them on twitter. Let’s just admit it, we’ve all done it, and maybe we’re currently doing it. And I’m not talking about just checking their facebook once a day; I’m talking once an hour. Or every 30 minutes depending on how smitten you are.

Shall I even get started on trying to take our thoughts captive? Attempting to do that while daydreaming and stalking is nearly impossible. I can’t intentionally go stalk a guy on facebook and then try to take thoughts towards him captive. I think we’re all aware that what we really need is a major dose of self-control to not even go there. To fill our minds with the Truth of God’s word as opposed to a silly little status update telling us where He just ate lunch.

The most humbling thing, however, I’ve learned about crushes that the Lord has had to knock out of me is my feelings of control over the situation. Do you know what I mean?

My thought process went something like this: If I liked a guy and stalked him enough, then eventually he would realize my love for him and chase after me and we’d live happily ever after. In other words, I was in complete control of the entire situation. Except I wasn’t in control at all.

In hindsight, I see how completely ridiculous and insane that sounds, but that’s how I was living and that was certainly the lie I believed. On top of that, what I always failed to realize was that although I thought I had complete control over the entire situation, it really had so much more control over me.

I’m sure you wouldn’t be surprised to hear that it took a toll on my heart and my emotions. When you let a feeling have that much control over you, it is hard to focus, let alone get much sleep and rest.

Towards the beginning of February I was seriously so fed up with myself. I started to realize that I was being flat out stupid and at that time, I had a come to Jesus meeting. It was really good.

One night in particular I had been journaling and I just heard the Lord ask me, Lindsee, do you trust me with zero prospects?

In other words, if the Lord took every eligible young single guy out of the picture could I trust Him enough to provide a husband in His time without my help? Without my obsessing? Without my stalking?

For the first time in a long time I was legitimately able to answer with a simple yes.

All my worrying, all my stressing, all my desires to be in control were disobedience because essentially, I wasn’t trusting the Lord to provide that particular desire of my heart. I honestly remember that night sleeping really well and woke up feeling like I hadn’t just run a marathon.

I don’t want you to get the impression that I am boy crazy, because if you asked any of my friends or family, I don’t think they would tell you I was, but I just needed to trust the Lord to provide for me in His own way and His own time.

In the midst of all of this was when the Lord really started stirring in my heart about what was next for me. I had no idea what was ahead but I sought Him constantly until May when He started opening up doors for a job change. And more so, a life change. (I wasn’t just changing jobs; I was changing churches as well. What you may not know is that my church was my job.)

I can honestly say that these months have been the sweetest months of my relationship with the Lord yet. I stepped out on a limb not knowing what the Lord had in store, and He blew me away. My faith deepened.

You know what else happened? I forgot all about boys. I forgot all about the fact that I was single. Maybe forgot isn’t the most appropriate term, but I was so content where the Lord had me in my singleness. It was so refreshing and really, really good for me to not be caught up in some type of crush that would eventually go nowhere.

Today, I am no longer the girl that has never been on a date. In July I went on my very first, and wonderful, I might add, date. I felt so special and will remember it always. Don’t get any ideas thinking that I’m engaged and getting married tomorrow, but to have been noticed and treated like a girl should be treated on a date was the best thing I could have ever experienced.

This summer was proof to me that there are Godly men out there searching for Godly wives. There are guys out there doing it right. This I know for sure, the bar has been raised.

I can’t tell you how thankful I am the Lord allowed me to experience what it’s like to be pursued. And what did I do to be pursued? Absolutely nothing. Nada. I just responded.

What I'm not saying is that the minute you stop thinking about being single is the minute the Lord brings a man into your life. I'm not too fond of that saying because I think if the Lord placed that desire on your heart, you'll always be mindful of it. What I am saying, though, is that the Lord, I believe, teaches us different things through different circumstances. For a while I think I doubted the Lord was ever going to let me experience the pursuit of a man for myself and not just vicariously. He clearly thought otherwise.

So, do I trust Him with no prospect? Do I trust Him when the single men around me aren’t outnumbering the single ladies? Yes, yes I do.

I don’t want to be known as the girl who begged and pleaded for God to bring my man and waste my singleness. I want to be known as the girl who believed God and served Him while I was waiting. After all, is it really about me? My comfort? My wants? That’s a simple no. It’s about Christ being honored and glorified in everything.

Very recently I heard someone say that God can do more in our waiting than we can do in our doing. Let’s stop doing and start waiting. Start bringing your requests and being still before the Lord. Trusting Him for His best for us. He really can do more in our waiting, expecting and anticipating Him.

I don’t know what you’re waiting for, but I promise He’s working out the details.

You can trust Him even with nothing in sight. We have hope because He is our hope.

Oh, that we would anticipate the Lord to move in our midst. He will. I know He will.

“In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.” Psalm 5:3

22 comments:

Gena said...

Beautiful!

Callie said...

you are so great at writing out what God is teaching you. love you for that!

And just for the record...don't use that langua with me!!!!!!!

Jen-Jen said...

i love this and really needed to be reminded of the waiting quote you shared with me just a few weeks ago :-) love you so much!!

K'sh said...

Ms. Lindsee Lou!!! I felt like I was reading a script from my single life..Ha! Thank you, thank you! It's also funny that just a few days ago I wrote on twitter that "whenever I decide to stop looking that's when he will start searching" because of my obsession of being found by the "one". I've never been on a real date either and I'm ok with that too! Again, Thank you ") you get it! I

Learning to be Successfully Single,

-K'sh

Jenny said...

Great post! Love your heart and the hope your words bring.

fuzzytop said...

Beautiful post Lindsee! I am in a waiting and trusting season wrt my job; it is hard (very hard) to trust!

Adrienne

Lauren said...

Incredible post!!! Gahhhhh, I just love you!!!! :)

Trish said...

That was really well said. I remember those days -- it is SO encouraging when you see the fruits of waiting!

Anonymous said...

Great post, Lindsee. I'm 42 and I've actually never been on a date. Had relationships earlier, but in the last 10 years, God has turned my life upside down, and while I still would like that, I've had much bigger things to worry about.

And now, since all this time has passed, and I have changed so much, I am actually a bit frightened about the whole thing. I think partly because as you wrote about - if it is to be real & healthy, I cannot be in control. And not being in control scares me because of trauma in my past.

Continuing to learn to trust God in all things...

Vivian said...

Wow, Lindsee, this is like the best thing for me to read this morning. I can relate to it so much. I feel towards the end of my graduate school career I was becoming restless and anxious because I felt that now that now that I was about to be done with school, that God will bring someone into my life. Its been a couple of months and still no prospects. I have been praying for a spouse for over 14 years and have never been on what I like to call a " proper date" when the guy really treats me like a princess.

I love that the Lord let you experience that and that you didn't have to do anything to make it happen. It just happened in His own time. I can only pray that the peace and contentment you felt when you relinquished control over that area of your life to God will be my portion in this season. I truly want to accomplish and enjoy what I am supposed to in this season of being single so that I have absolutely no regrets.

Thank you for your kind words, your openness and congratulations on your new job. I know I am trusting God for a job in this time of transition and if He can do it for you, He can do it for me. God bless.

Monique said...

Miss Lindsee Lou,
I can relate to so much of what you said. I have been single, and I mean truly single (no divorces, no engagements, no recent relationships, and no children) for a very long time. Like, all of my life. I am 45 years old and single. I have survived many bad relationships and heartbreaks. Literally all of my ex-es have found the 'one', walked down the aisle, and started families, all while I was still nursing my wounds. Those experiences created in me a deep sense of sadness that consumed me for many, many years. It may be obvious to others, but for me it wasn't obvious. I had to slowly come to terms w forgiving those who had hurt me so deeply and then allowing the Lord to heal to my heart. In Believing God by Beth Moore she shared how the Lord asked her this question: "..I know you believe in Me, but do you believe Me?" That simple question is what finally knocked me back into the land of the living! Believing in God is different and separate from believing Him. I get it! Armed w this amazing and absolutely critical information I now value my singleness and choose to use this time to confidently serve Him and grow in His word. Thanks you so much for sharing this story. Hallelujah. Hallelujah. All glory to God.

Tami Frailey said...

LL! What a great post for this 44yearoldneverbeenmarriedinfulltimeministry woman to read this morning. Thank you for the reminder to my eyes/mind - everything focused on Jesus. This really, really ministered to me. I'm printing it off and keeping it my bible. Thank you again!

Ingrid said...

Psalm 5:3 is such a special one to me.

You're so right, we can all learn so much in the waiting.

Turning life into being about the journey rather than the destination. For those of us who focus on the destination, we miss out on all the sights on the way. Joy in the journey or growth in the waiting.

Alyssa said...

GIRL!!! I am sooo happy for you! I am where you were and it can be very, very hard. However, I also think that singleness can be the biggest blessing. So happy for you! You deserve it!

Annie said...

I love this, Lindsee. I am in a very similar place right now, but with a little less contentedness, and I needed to be reminded of the truth that God is always in control and always to be glorified, regardless of my circumstances. Thank you for that.

G.J. said...

You are so wise and beautiful. I love this post. I'm telling you - I needed to hear this: "God can do more in our waiting than we can do in our doing." Powerful words. You've blessed my heart today. Thank you kindly!

Mrs. G.J. :)

Priscilla said...

I don't know if my comments got published to you on twitter, but I just wanted to say, again, this post blessed me immeasurably because I see that this is possible for me. I swear, you could have been writing about me.....is it bad my very first crush lasted EIGHT years??? I've had many others last shorter, but still an agonizingly amount of time....lol. Haha, I'm about to be 27 next week, and I just finally went on my first date last spring....he was also my first boyfriend and first kiss. Ugh!! Was is the correct word, as it didn't end in happily ever after like I "knew" God was leading me to. I broke it off as soon as I saw it wasn't going to work, but that's not to say I haven't had ALOT of heartache over it. Reading your post made me realize how special it is to continue waiting, and that it's possible for God to take away the struggle so you don't have to have a crush or a guy, or lack of be your every thought. I want that so much for myself. I don't want to be "dragged to the altar" having prayed every day about the right guy and having God finally answer....I want to be happy now, as I am, unattached, and totally trusting God for when or even if He brings the right guy. I don't want to be attached to the idea that I have to have a guy....I want to be very much attached to Jesus Christ and to stop worrying about when or who I'll marry....God used your post and your words about your own heart to show me He can and will do the same with me. GOd bless you!!

Martha said...

Sweet Lindsee, Thanks so much for your boldness and ability to share your heart with your readers. I am convinced that the Lord honors faithfulness in all areas of our lives and that He grants the desires of those who delight in Him. Praying for you and thankful for you!

Lindsey said...

LOVE THIS, sweet friend...and you! Makes my heart happy that God honored your faithfulness with a date. Such a great reminder that He does give us the desires of our hearts...even we are least expecting them. Praying that the Lord continues to guard your heart until the exact time...and that you will be faithful to thank Him in the process!

Jenna said...

I just heart you so much, my sweet kindred spirit. This post is a treasure. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled upon your blog. Needed to be reminded of this :)
-MandieK.

Kaitlin said...

Oh, I have so needed this encouragement! I found your blog through Kelly's Korner link-up. This post was so uplifting! I just turned 25 two weeks ago exactly- and all of a sudden I feel like a timer went off- and all of a sudden I'm worth less because I don't yet have a husband or a family and am completely single. Being a Christian, though, I can say that I know God has a plan and that I believe God grants us the desires of our heart. But actually living it is a whole different story. It requires greater faith and trust in God. I like the way you phrased- do you trust Him with no prospects? That's golden. Thank you for sharing! You have encouraged me!