(This would be me freaking out!)
I can't believe it's already here! Tomorrow begins the next, new journey!
Some emotions I'm feeling? Excited. Anxious. Scared. Joyful. Relieved. Tired. Inadequate. Encouraged. Content. And so many more that I can't even put into words. I know these are all sorts of emotions, but they are all so true!
Have I ever told y'all about God's perfect timing and preparation for this job? Let me just brag on the Lord for a bit.
First of all, girls ministry has always been such a joy in my heart. Even while in high school I loved loving on the younger girls, and yet, I was so intrigued by the older ones. When it came to serving in my youth group, there was hands down, no questions asked. I was there. I wanted to serve. I wanted to be apart of it.
So, I did just that. I started serving.
There was something quite unique about all of this though. You see, our youth group has always been mainly student led. I guess you could say it's "for the students, by the students!" Yes, the youth pastors have done a fabulous job leading us, but they have loved just assisting the students and helping them grow their leadership abilities. When I got into Jr. High, our Jr. High youth pastor left, leaving our group empty handed. The search was on. During the "search" we had some amazing adult youth workers that stepped up to the plate and served where they were needed and really just loved on all of us. They finally found a Jr. High youth pastor right at the end of our 8th grade year.
We were all thrilled to move into high school because we were excited about having Greg as our high school youth pastor. He was great! Well, low and behold, he left the December of our Freshman year. Leaving us, yes, empty handed yet again. We were sad but were excited for Greg's new adventures. Thus, began the search, yet again, this time for a high school youth pastor.
During all of this time a sweet lady, Lauri, had been working with student ministries doing the administrative stuff. Yet, she also ministered to the girls on the side. She was fabulous. I so looked up to her and wanted to get to know her, but she was so busy! I truly thought she had the coolest job! Our search ended I think around the middle of my sophomore year and we had a youth pastor, finally! The timing though didn't quite work out and he ended up leaving a year later! I know, I am making our church sound like people come and go all the time. Needless to say, my class wasn't blessed with having a youth pastor. Yes, we had some AMAZING youth workers, but we were sad not to have that consistency.
The one consistency you ask? Yes, my friend Lauri. Could there be anyone more amazing? I think not. This girl stepped up to the plate during all the 'searches' and truly did everything she possibly could for our youth group. She worked so hard! And Lauri, I hope you know it DID NOT go unnoticed.
Finally, my senior year, I was blessed to have her as my small group leader. And y'all, she doesn't "beat around the bush", she means business! She challenged all of us to love the Lord like no other and was a true example to us. I can say that that year was when I "bloomed!"
After serving 10 years at our church, she too, left after our senior year. As sad as I was I knew that the Lord was calling her elsewhere, and frankly, I'd already had my fair share, so I figured I should share the wealth. ;) But, I did learn so much from her. I think our senior year Jen and I spent almost every waking moment with her, doing anything and everything!
After she left is when the church realized that having that 'girl' leader is so vital. There are just so many things that young girls need that a youth pastor simply cannot give. And vise versa.
Soon after, they hired Jessica. She was fabulous, just graduated from Moody Bible Institute and was ready for this job! She was great. The girls loved her, and she got the ball rollin' again! That is, until she got engaged and her beloved fiance' was moved her to Ohio last November. I think you know what I'm gonna say, yes, another search.
Here is where the Lord comes in. (Ha! As if he hasn't been here the whole time!) You see, I am on the 5 year plan. If I would have graduated on time, it would have been last spring, like everyone else. But, sweet SHSU has quite the program for us education majors, thus, pushing my graduation back to this May. At first I was highly annoyed. Who isn't? When everyone else is graduating you wish so bad to walk across that stage too. But, all was well, I only had one year and I would be done!
So, I did my year, and here I am.
Friends, do you see?! Had I have graduated on time, this position would have never been offered to me. At the time, last May, Jessica wasn't even engaged. There was no talk of her leaving in the near future. So, I would have graduated, and then most likely gotten a job as a teacher.
But, I am graduating this May. There is no one in that position. In my heart I always thought about this job. I thought, hmmm, I wonder if they would even consider me?! But, I kept my mouth shut. I knew they would have had to wait a long time to hire me, and really, they wanted someone sooner.
But, the Lord IS good, and faithful, and undoubtedly, his timing IS perfect. He DOES know they desires of our hearts and he CAN do more than we can imagine. Amen?
So, here I am. Starting this position tomorrow. Doing what Lauri did, and doing it after looking up to her so much.
In the past the Lord has shut some doors on different girls positions, but, he has clearly opened some. He knew what He was doing.
And, as if He isn't faithful enough, you wanna' know the funnest part? About 2 weeks ago I was introduced at church. You want to know who was there? LAURI! Y'all, I never mentioned she moved to Florida and just happened to be in town for a wedding. Yes, she knew about me taking this job, but had no idea I was being introduced. You should have seen the delight on my face when I saw her and then got to hug her. Because, little did both of us know that she has been training me this whole time. All through high school. It has come full circle.
And boy, do I have some big shoes to fill! Lord, help me!
The Lord IS good. Yes, it is so fun to brag on Him!
Off to bed, I better get my beauty sleep! ;)
Love you all so very much!
14 comments:
He is Awesome. I'll be prayin for you tomorrow girly!
Have a great day!
I already knew the story, but I LOVED reading it! Oh what blessings He has in store for you and all of us. I can't wait! I can't wait! I am praying for you to have a blessed,wonderful, rockin, fun day! Maybe I will even stop by.;)
Have a great first day of work!! :)
Good luck on your first day!! :D What a testimony!
So excited for you! I know you will be AWESOME and we already know they all love you!
Hope you have a great day today! Love you!
I hope your first day is going well so far!
Just wanted to let you know that your post is a blessing to me today. It was a great reminder that God is so big, and He is constantly orchestrating His beautiful plan, even when we don't really see it happening. The reminder could not have come at a more appropriate time for me. :)
Hugs!!
God is incredible!!
We often have no idea why something has happened and it often does seem annoying but God knows the bigger picture
I am thrilled for you!
This job is going to be such a joy and blessing for you
Much love
Kim
God is so cool, isn't He? Hope your first day was great. Can't wait to hear about your new adventures. :)
i am loving reading about the Lord's working in your life...He is hemming you in just perfectly for you :)
love you and wish you were here for the mini-party ;)
I have loved watching you and watching God do a work of beauty in you! I remember being at that girls' conference and the spark it lit in you. The journey is hard and it's fun and He is so good at finishing the good works He starts in us. For you, this is only the beginning!
I want to be on your prayer team as you pour yourself out in this ministry.
LOVE YOU SO MUCH! So proud of you!
Lauri
Oh Lindsee...this is so God!! I tell ya what...I caught myself just grinning as I got to the end of this post.
Hope you have had a fabulous week!
Praying for you sweet friend!
Go get 'em!
Love,
Fran
Hey Lindsee~ I am finally leaving a comment. I love reading of your adventures. :) I think it is wonderful you are working with the youth. Your parents were both so special to my high school years along with many gals like yourself who came to spend time with us and lead us. Those friendships were so important and I am so excited for you to get to minister to these girls. I am absolutely amazed your little brother is graduating. That makes me OLD I guess. :) You are wonderful. Hope your time there is going great!
Michelle (Moore) Horton
Post a Comment