Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Let's Talk About Habits

Yesterday morning as I was shaving I thought about all the people that think I’m the craziest person for shaving consistently every day. That led me to put up a status on both twitter and facebook that said, People look at me crazy when I tell them I shave every day. Yes, yes I do. Apparently it's odd. But I'm OCD like that! Any other everyday shavers out there? We must unite!

To say that it stirred up quite the conversation is an understatement. Who knew people were passionate about shaving? I was so tickled at all the responses.

Besides the fact that I don’t like to feel my own spiky legs, let alone someone else have an unfortunate encounter with sandpaper, I think a lot of my shaving issues stem from the fact that I am a major creature of habit.

And since I am a major creature of habit, there are a lot of other things I do that could label me as a nut case.

So I think we should talk about these habits. We all have them, do we not?

1) I shave every day. In fact, my shower routine is the exact same. Wet hair, shampoo, rinse, condition, wash body, shave, rinse out conditioner, face wash. Repeat daily. (Okay, there are a few days I skip the shower. Gasp! I’m that girl!)

2) I wash my face every single night. I don’t care if it is 9:00 at night or 2:00 in the morning, I will not go to bed without washing my face or brushing my teeth.

3) I read every single night before I go to bed. The only exception to this is when someone is spending the night and prefers the lamp to be turned off before I get my reading in. If this is the case, it take me so much longer to fall asleep. I’ve trained myself to fall asleep while reading. However, I have been known at times to stay up until 4:00 a.m. to finish a book. Ridiculous.

4) My worst habit is that I peel my mascara off every night before washing my face. I don’t know why I have an obsession with my eyelashes, but I do. Unfortunately, every now and then an eyelash gets caught in the mess and I pull it out, too. My fear is that I’ll be eyelash less by the time I’m 30.

5) I never dry my jeans. Ever. When you have an inseam as long as mine, the fear of any pair of jeans shrinking up is very prominent. This means I can forget the whole wash the jeans the night before I need them kind of thing. They need to have time to dry. It’s kind of unfortunate.

6) When I hang my jeans to dry, I always hang them by the leg, not the waist. I like to think this stretches them out to make them longer. Weird habit, I know.

7) I always do my make-up in front of the window in the natural sunlight in a little tiny hand-held mirror. The sunlight thing only happens if I’m doing my make-up after the sun rises. I’ve never done my make-up in a big bathroom mirror. Never.

8) As I’m falling asleep at night, I rub my feet together like a cricket. It’s the only way I can fall asleep.

9) I absolutely cannot eat without washing my hands. If I don’t wash my hands, I have this underlying fear that I’ll come down with a stomach bug. My hands get so dry in the winter that they crack and start bleeding. Gross, I know.

Habits, good or bad, we all have them. Spill yours, please!

9 comments:

Taylor said...

So funny, Lindsee! Eeek... I always smell my deoderant before applying it! No idea why. Every. Time.

Jennifer said...

I do the same thing with my mascara. I hate that I do it, but yet I pull it all off every night. And I am almost 30 and still have eyelashes, so I think you are in the clear!

Missy said...

I am 100% on board with your #1 and 2 except for shaving. In the winter, I NEVER shave. I wear pants and it gets soft eventually. ha ha.

Vivian said...

I make my bed every morning or before I leave my room...its like clockwork.. I don't even realize when I have done it. The funny thing is that my room can look like a wreck with stuff on the floor..but the bed with all its little pillows will be made and picture perfect!

Lindsey said...

I always fix my hamburgers/sandwiches EXACTLY the same way. Bottom bun with mayo, then meat, then ketchup (for hamburgers). Top bun with mustard, then pickles. If i Have tomato it goes on top of the ketchup and lettuce goes on top of the pickles. Suffice it to say, the people at subway don't like it when I come in!

John and Joanna said...

like a cricket!!! hahah!!!

Unknown said...

I laughed out loud at the feet rubbing cricket habit...love the little things that make a person who they are!

Lauren said...

I give you props, because my favorite thing about winter is you wear pants a lot so you don’t have to shave, haha!!!!!! :)

Kelli said...

Too many to list.... :)

I always use my blinker... into my driveway, in parking garages... all the time!