I have to be really honest and tell you that I even hesitated typing that, because with Christmas being three days away, I know the last thing you want to hear about is a single girl complaining about her singleness. But it’s my heart, and I’m hoping more than anything I can encourage another single girl out there.
If I could ignore every feeling that came with waiting, I would. Because sometimes the feeling hurts. I hate it that at certain moments I could cry at the drop of a hat. I hate it that I LOVE getting Christmas cards from my sweet friends, but then dream one day about creating my own Christmas card with my family. I hate it that I’m so selfish and my eyes are constantly on me. And more than anything, I hate that in those times I’m dwelling on the things that I don’t have rather than spending time dwelling on the enormous blessings I do have.
And the blessings I do have are countless.
I have a wonderful, loving, very fun and hilarious family.
I have the most amazing friends in the entire world that love me very well. Younger, older and just my age.
I have a very warm, comfortable apartment that I can call my own.
I have a job that I adore and provides for me to live a very comfortable life.
I have Jesus and that means I’m changed for the better, marked and sealed for life and death.
I have a lot of scarves to keep my neck warm.
I have some pretty funny roommates.
I have plenty of Tex-Mex around me to keep me fed seven days a week, and then some.
I have, I have, I have, but I want, want, want.
I know, it’s really pitiful. It’s not about me, but I’m making it all about me and that makes me want to puke.
Sometimes I get so frustrated with my desire to have a husband and family, because every now and then I doubt that will ever come to fruition.
After 25 years, it’s yet to happen, and although I know 25 is still young, you really start to play mind games with yourself. I'm only getting older, not younger. My world is a constant mind game.
Will I get to spend my next birthday with someone I love? How about next Christmas?
It’s the fear and the doubt of the unknown that really starts to mess with you.
I have been begging the Lord more recently to fill every void in my heart I may feel.
Let’s be honest, there are thousands of people going through much tougher circumstances than I ever dream to be dealing with.
I truly believe that if we beg, He grants, but only if it brings Him the greatest glory.
It has been so amazing the peace and joy I’ve felt this month.
Even though the desire to be married is still very much exploding in my heart, I’m believing God for bigger things.
Things bigger than myself, my heart or my imaginations.
I don’t just want to be that cute girl who blogs well, dresses cute, works at a church and posts cute facebook profile pictures.
I want to be a girl that reflects Jesus everywhere I go. I want people to be drawn to me out of my love and desire to know and be loved by Him more than my cute shoes.
I don’t know a lot of girls that have walked in my shoes. Girls that have not even been asked on a date. I don’t say that in a prideful manner, I mean honestly, what girl wants to admit that? That alone can cause lots of anxiety and questions. And while my heart and mind are far from pure and perfect, I have to believe that God IS up to something greater than myself. I have to claim that.
As Beth Moore said a few ago, and something I’m still holding onto, “Blessed are you when what comes naturally to others comes supernaturally to you!” At this point, I’m claiming my man to be supernatural. Well, he may not be supernatural and perfect, but when the Lord provides I’ll consider it to be supernatural. I'll be like Mary in Luke 1:45 claiming my belief that He who said He is faithful, really is.
2011 may not be the year I meet my man. It may not be the year I get asked on a date. It will undoubtedly be a year I cry over my singleness every now and then, it’s just reality. I’m still very much a girl asking and waiting on a boy to love her. (Cue Notting Hill.)
But, it can be a year that I die to myself daily. It can be a year I get out of my comfort zone. It can be a year that Lord continues to stir my heart for a purpose greater than me. It can be a year that I challenge myself and those around me. It can be a year of trusting God to provide everything I need, not everything I want.
Let’s be honest, actions speak way louder than words. I want to intentionally find ways to live out my faith, rather than just talking about it.
I know both sets of people, those that talk about their faith and continue to live a very mediocre life, and those that when called to action, do it. I want to be the girl that does it. That leaves a legacy of action rather than just words.
Maybe if I do that, then I’ll stop crying about my singleness and dwelling on what I am without.
I’m not asking Him to remove this desire; I’m simply asking Him to make this desire a catalyst to further His kingdom.
This is my Christmas wish. I better sign off before I ask for anything crazy, you know what He says, ask and you shall receive.
I pray He alone fills each void and desire in your heart as well, sweet friends. I still believe that Jesus is better.
"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:20
21 comments:
Thank you for this post Lindsee! Your transparency on your blog means so much to me.
Inspiring Lindsee!!! If you want to venture out for a trip to Chicago or somewhere in Illinois, you must stop by my place first(free room :) I hope to meet you one day... You are mature beyond your years and you make me want to serve Jesus better...
I am sharing this post with some friends that I know it will encourage...
love you. waiting to see this unfold... praying.
sending this on to a friend who i know it will resonate with.
i am privileged to know you.
May the Lord grant you the desires of your heart in 2011!!
Lindsee - You absolutely bless me. If I had had one-eighth the spiritual depth and maturity that you do when I was your age...oh the hearthache I would have missed.
May God grant you the desires of your heart in this new year approaching - and if it includes your man coming into your life, I pray he will exceed every single expectation you have!
He is the one in store for a blessing!!! YOU!
Love, Mrs. Jan
Lindsee,
I started reading your blog about a year ago, I think from when Kelly {from Kelly's Korner} had a link-up for single girls. And I remember reading your blog and thinking, "I can identify with her." And oh, how I have. It's been an absolute blessing to read your encouraging words on singleness this past year.
I had an interesting scenario with a guy go down this past fall. I'm more than willing to tell you about it if you'd like to hear it. After it all happened, I was left disappointed because I'd let myself feel the hope of leaving singleness, and yet that's what I was left with when everything was over. A couple weeks after that I was writing a description for my about page on Tumblr and I wrote, before I even knew what I was typing, "I believe singleness is a gift even when it's not easy." And I looked at it and thought, "Do I?" I pondered it for a couple moments, then thought, "Yes. I do."
I can't thank you enough for the encouragement you've given me. But I think I can try, by encouraging you {or trying, at least}. My 20th birthday is Tuesday and I'll still not have had my first boyfriend. But I believe in the story God is writing for me, and I believe just as strongly in the story God is writing for you. I believe God will use your desire to strengthen not your walk of faith, not only for your sake, but to give as a legacy to those who know you.
I believe that by laying this desire down, by dying to the part of you that wants this dream so much, you're walking the walk of faith you said you want, and you're setting an example for the people you interact with, in real life or on your blog.
I just had my first date in October. And I can complain that it went no further, as I wanted it to, or I can cherish it as a small, sweet taste of the story that's sure to come, whether it involves the same guy or a different one.
Because it isn't about me. It's about Him. And I believe when He writes our stories, they will be to His glory, and we will praise Him in thankfulness at the wonders they are, but also, that that praise will only be a continuation of the praise we've been giving all along, even when our hearts were heavy.
I pray these words can give you even a fraction of the encouragement you have given me. May you have a blessed Christmas, Lindsee. Immanuel; God with us. Praise Him! He is so, so good.
Annie
Thank you for this post. Those are words that I wish I could claim for myself as well.
amazing post. and I am right there with ya girl. I hate being a downer over the holidays but it is just the worst time to be single! I have written many posts and ended up not posting them because of this time of year.. so they are stored in my drafts folder. I'm 23 and oh so very single and waiting and praying for a man to come into my life too. Its rough some days, andyou are definitely an encouragement- I love how you just lay it all out there! I wish I had faith as strong as yours- that's something I am really working on for myself. I need to use this time of being single to prepare my heart and mind for when the future hubs does come along..
Lindsee, I love how you share your heart. So inspiring to so many. Waiting is never an easy season for any of us. Thank God he knows our hearts and understands when we hurt over the process.
I struggled with infertility for years (waiting 4 years and many dr visits later, I now have 2 beautiful girls). I think what made it worse would be when I hated myself for being in a state of 'want' so often when I was blessed in so many other ways. I wore guilt like a glove and felt such condemnation over that. I was set free when God reminded me I can feel whatever it is (discontent, sadness, frustration) wholly and bring it all before Him. He knows! He understands!
I can't wait to see what all God does through you and with you. You will no doubt give all glory to Him. Praying for you!
Completely agree with everything that you said in this post! God has BIG plans for us all!
Dear Lindsee,
Thank you for expressing in words what so many of us feel in our hearts.
I realized a few months ago that I was waiting for God to send me my man...and I haven't even been praying for "him". Ding-dong!
So I've been praying...believing that God will send my man when the time is right and when it will bring Him the most glory. Because as much as I want it, if in the end it doesn't glorify Him and point others to Him, then I really don't want it.
Know you are not alone.
Know that He sees every tear.
Know that He knows better than anyone your heart's desires.
Hold on to hope while you're in the waiting.
Sending love your way, dear sister!
Becky
Lindsee-
I was directed to your blog a year or so ago by Debra and have just kept reading. This post could not have been written better! I am 30 years old and still single (and I'm not saying that to discourage you). I have been on several dates but none were up to my expectations, so they were nothing more than a free dinner. I know that the man for me is out there, but it is all in God's timing! Hang in there and enjoy the time you have as a single woman of God...this is time that you will never get back!
Thanks you so much for your transparency in your writing! Maybe one day I will come visit Debra and we can actually meet.
In Him,
Randa
1. encouraged. & SO with you on all of the above.
2. Luke 1:45 is one of my favorite verses to remember in the husband area (& the job area...).
3. love the Notting Hill cue :)
Merry Christmas to you!
Lindsee,
Thanks for your honest, challenging, and encouraging post. I identify with your feelings. I’m 41 and have never been on a real date. Also, I’m not close with family, been unemployed 2+ years, and last month lost both my cat (14) and beloved dog (16 ½), so this holiday is difficult for me as well.
I know I my attitude should be more like yours, accept the facts and forge ahead knowing God has good things planned, because I am very blessed also. Sometimes I can do that, but when I think about my sweet Cindy and the traumatic event that happened just before she died, I do the ugly cry.
I’ve had trouble finding the balance between trying to get a better godly attitude and just accepting the fact that I just might need more time to heal.
I have absolutely no idea what God has planned, but I have to keep reminding myself that he does have a plan.
I like this verse as well:
Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Ps 37:4
Merry Christmas
Lindsee,
I can totally empathize with you, but at the same time, I want to say that you are BLESSED (and a teensy bit lucky, if I can say that) to still be 25 and single, AND with a faith that I so admire - I wish I had even half of yours when I was 25!
I'm 40 next year and have never been married. I've had one serious relationship that ended in a broken engagement, and nothing since for the last 10 years. So, I haven't met "my man", if he exists. I know I'll probably never have children of my own, but that doesn't hurt as much as realizing I may have to live the rest of my life alone. The only thing that hurts more is seeing women younger than me find love, get married, and have their children. Every time an engagement is announced in my church, I just want to scream!
I hate the fact that there seems to be some insane rule that one has to be married before they turn 30 - if not, one is doomed. Doesn't that just drive us all nuts?!
Nonetheless, just keep on with your VITAL ministry working with your group of girls. What a rich blessing you are to our future generation of young, godly women.
And if God blesses you with that special man you long for, then that will be wonderful. He will be one lucky man!
Until then, I guess all of us single women, no matter what age we are, have to stop fretting. At least, that's what I'm TRYING to do - as well as not to appear desperate!
God bless you, girl. I love your blog - I look forward to laughing and crying along with you in 2011.
So blessed by this post. So so blessed. Thank you!
Found your blog through a friend of a friend...Must share my story. It was the week after Christmas and I was in a terrible relationship. I woke up that morning and felt the Lord telling me to end the relationship. News to me...but I obeyed. I remember telling the Lord that I didn't know what I was going to do or say but I trusted he would help me through. It was messy, but I ended it later that day.
I was once again single and sad and had many of the feelings you have. I was 24...definitely not old but that doesn't matter. When you are ready to meet someone, age is irrelevant...I get tired of people being unsympathic b/c they think you have plenty of time. (end soapbox)
Two months later I started working with a guy. From the second I saw him I just knew. Our first date was in May....engaged in July....married in October....less than a year after the sadness I felt the Christmas before. That's been 10 years ago.
I say all that to hopefully encourage. God has a plan. You know that. And, you just never know how quickly your life can change. Just when you least expect him...
I know exactly how you feel. I love your honesty, it makes me feel like I am not alone.
As a single girl walking a similar path, very well said. Thanks for the honesty.
And I just turned 26 in October.... not sure why but that is a HARD birthday for single girls. No one warned me. Not sure when you will celebrate that one, but just needed to give you a heads up.
Sorry to put the negative damper on this really great post.
I've had this post starred since the day you wrote it...hoping that some great words would come to mind to comment. They haven't. Instead, I am typing through tears. Praying that we will both be ever mindful that we have been given immeasurably more! Loveya!
Lindsee I am in your shoes...and while I'm a couple years behind you, I understand these feelings completely. It's a hard season (and dreadfully long at times) but gives us so many times to give Him glory...what a blessing-not better or worse, just different-to have our hearts held so safe and hands held so tightly by our Father who knows that this is good for us
Post a Comment