Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Deliverer

A few months ago our family life pastor asked me if I would consider coming along on the Father Daughter Retreat to share a few of the teaching times, talk to the dad’s about girls, and spend some time getting to hang out with the girls themselves. I didn’t hesitate to say yes because it sounded like a fun opportunity. So, I spent this past weekend out in the wilderness with a bunch of daddy’s and daughters. I typically work with just middle school and high school girls, but the majority of the girls that attended this retreat were in elementary school. To say I loved meeting some new five year old friends is an understatement. When I was student teaching, Kindergarten was my favorite placement, and I was reminded of that this weekend. They are a kick in the pants!

Saturday night I was given the interesting opportunity to steal the dads and talk just to them about all things girls. What girls need, different developmental stages and especially what these girls need from their dads. After the initial intimidation (because hello, I’m not a dad nor do I have children), I have to say, it was a blast. Each of them were on the edge of their seat, pens out taking notes and asking a lot of questions. I felt as though I was preaching to the choir since they were the ones actually there with their girls, but I ended up loving it. I can honestly say, of all the teaching times I’ve done, this was probably my favorite.

That next morning, Sunday morning, my sweet dad left Houston very early and drove up two hours so that he could be a part of a Q&A between us and the rest of the dad's and daughters. They were allowed to ask us anything they wanted. Nerve wracking, but it was really fun!

I’m not sure how it came up, but my dad ended up telling the story of the day I was born. For those of you who don’t know, I was five weeks early and very tiny. My mom, thinking she was in labor, went to the hospital only to be sent home. The doctors said she still had some time. Alas, they were wrong so back to the hospital my parents went.

Once they were settled in their room, all the doctors and nurses left and all of the sudden my mom exclaimed that I was coming and I was coming now. My dad, not knowing what to do, called the nurses and doctors, but realized at that moment that I was indeed coming very quickly. He only knew one thing, someone was supposed to catch me and I was not supposed to fall on the floor.

In one single push I was out and lo and behold, my dad delivered me.

Of course, I remember none of this, but have heard the story countless times.

This may seem insignificant to you, but I think it is very special, especially in light of this coming Sunday, Easter Sunday.

My earthly father delivered me into this world, and my heavenly father delivered me, from me, at the young age of five. I didn’t know all that Christ would mean to me now, but I knew then that I wanted to spend eternity with Him.

If I desire anything, I desire to make much of Christ. To intentionally live in a way that brings most glory and honor to Him. I didn’t really grasp that until my senior year of high school, but since then, I have known Jesus as my deliverer from all of my ugly shortcomings and I am ever so grateful. He loves me too much to leave me the way I am, and I can promise you He feels the same way about you.

On Sunday we will celebrate a risen Savior. He is indeed risen and very alive. I’m proof of His mighty deliverance and sanctification. Christ was delivered over to death so that we might be delivered from death.

I’m not sure where you stand with Christ, but my hope and prayer is that each of you know Him as your own personal Savior and deliverer. I’m not saying it’s all fun and games and easy. Quite the opposite, actually, becoming more like Christ is the hardest thing ever. It requires a lot of dying to self. Something that doesn’t come naturally to me, to you, to any of us. But knowing Christ as your deliverer is knowing what true peace is. What true love is. What true grace is. What true mercy is. Knowing that he won’t remove all your troubles, but He’ll certainly see you through them. And it’s worth it. He’s worth it.

Christ loves you dearly and wants to deliver you. It is his joy and desire to do just that. That all would come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. You won’t find true deliverance anywhere else.

I can promise you this, just like my dad knew someone was supposed to catch me and not let me fall, Christ will catch you. He will not let you fall to the floor. Cry out to Him. He’s got you.

"He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification." Romans 4:25

"He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us." 2 Corinthians 1:10

"The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn[a] of my salvation, my stronghold." Psalm 18:2

8 comments:

Kiki said...

Amen! That is a beautiful post.

Lauren said...

I was 5 weeks early too! I was a preemie and pretty sick! God did big things and look at me now. Thank you for your inspiration! :)

Angela said...

What an awesome post! I loved reading every minute!

Anonymous said...

Linds, I love the analogy. It will be used in the future and it is such a great picture. I love, Dad

Laura SanchezQuan said...

This is beautiful. Love it.

Sara said...

Such a beautiful post, Lindsee!

Kelli said...

This is one of my favorite posts you have ever written!

Beautiful!

Jen-Jen said...

i really needed to hear this :-) it is so easy to forget that he is my deliverer no matter what. thank you so much for sharing this!! love you!