Fast forward four months, it is now April and in five days I will compete in my first sprint triathlon. I cannot believe it. I use the word "compete" lightly because I'm not very competitive, my goal is to cross the finish line with a smile on my face and all my body parts still intact.
Of course, I'm hoping I don't come in last, but can you blame me?
This triathlon will undoubtedly be in the back of my mind all week. Everything I do, it will be sure to follow. When I obsess over something, I typically dream about it as well, but thankfully, that has yet to happen.
So, here are my thoughts leading up to the race.
1) I have three goals this week: Get a lot of sleep, eat healthy and drink only water and a lot of it. This may be TMI, but we joke about "being clear", but honestly, I do want to be as hydrated as possible. It will only make the race that much better.
2) I'm really only freaking out about the swim portion of the race. I've been told to do at least one open water swim because it's so different, but unfortunately, my schedule has not allowed that to happen. I know a lot of it is mental, so I keep telling myself that I've swam in open water multiple times. Which I have. And I was more than okay.
3) I am so thankful I am not doing this alone, if that was the case, I probably wouldn't even be doing it. My roommate, Bethany, is also doing it with Lindsey and me and that has been the best thing ever. We have been each other's encouragers, accountability partners and we've certainly been each other's biggest fans.
4) During the race I'm almost positive the three of us will get separated at some point, but I'm really hoping we don't. I can swim and bike on my own, but I prefer running with Bethany. She pushes me to go a little bit faster and farther. My hope is that we'll be close enough in time that we can finish is together. How fun would that be?
5) Triathlons are expensive. This may or may not be my last one simply because I feel like I'm wasting my money if not.
6) Spandex is evil. It leaves little room for grace. I'm just sayin'.
7) According to my training schedule, I'm only supposed to do 15 minutes of each leg of the race this entire week. That doesn't feel like enough. I think I'll swim more than anything. Once I'm done swimming on race day, I'm home free. If needed I can walk or slow down on the bike. No biggie.
8) Once Saturday comes and goes, I'm not sure what will be my motivation for working out as much. I know that sounds awful, but it sure takes some discipline. I'm hoping to at least keep up the running. I do love the endurance that the training has produced.
9) I've never had a professional massage before. I've wanted one since before time, but have just never wanted to splurge on it. Rest assured, my reward for finishing the race, will undoubtedly be a professional massage. I can hardly wait.
10) I'm excited and anxious and scared and nervous and everything in between. But more than anything, I'm hoping to just have FUN and finish what I started! It's been such a great physical challenge for me personally, so it will feel good to cross that finish line. Hopefully I'll be back with some fun stories and pictures!
Happy Monday, y'all.
5 comments:
Well, I for one am so proud of you! You have perse-dang-vered! I know that I could never do this so I am in awe of you. You go girl!
I am so proud of you too! You have found a new way to inspire us all and I am rooting for you!
BTW, I HIGHLY recommend Bella Nova Day Spa. A fraction of the cost of a fancy-smanchy one downtown, but you still get the royal treatment. Ask for Candace. She is fantastic and personalizes for your needs.
Go, Lindsee, Go!!
I am SO proud of you and all of your athleticism. Remember when all we knew how to do was sing?
Just wanted to drop by to tell you that YOU ARE GOING TO DO GREAT! Can you hear me cheering for you from Michigan? I'm going to have to yell real loud! Don't forget to eat your pasta the night before.
I so wish I could get you a mani/pedi for when you are done. I can't wait to hear how much you enjoy your first massage!!!
Wishing also that I could hold up signs for you! Let me think... What would it say? "You are my hero and you can do ALL things through Christ! You are MORE than a conquerer." I'm already so proud of you!
Praying for you!
Love,
Angie xoxo
I am so incredibly proud if you. The biggest win is finishing something you started. Can't wait to hear how you do!!
Post a Comment