The chorus and the second verse say:
"I'm letting go
Of the life I planned for me
And my dreams
Losing control
Of my destiny
Feels like I'm falling and that's what it's like to believe
So I'm letting go
This is a giant leap of faith
Trusting and trying to embrace
The fear of the unknown
Beyond my comfort zone"
If that isn't my life prayer at the moment, I don't know what is.
You see, I had my life planned out since I was the little age of 5. I was, hands down, going to be a school teacher. As a child, you could have found me and my BFF in either of our room's playing "School" like no one else's business. I mean, good gosh, we played it for hours on end. And had every teacher supply you could imagine. Good times were had. And I just knew it was good practice for the future.
Fast forward about 10 years, where I went to Sam Houston State University, and pursued my teaching degree in early childhood education. Then graduated (5 years later) and am now a certified teacher in the state of Texas.
And here we are today, where I am not teaching, but rather working at a church. Where if you would have asked me as a high schooler where I wanted to work in the future, the church is the last place I would have said. So, what happened?
About my senior year I REALLY started loving the Lord completely, with my whole being. That's when He really got my attention. Yet I had grown up in church. I guess I could say, compared to all my friends, I was a late bloomer. But then again, everything is perfect in His timing.
A year after that, the Lord really put a desire in my heart to work with girls. Thus began my working with the freshman girls, where I led their small group (2:42 group) with Dana. I loved that, and am pretty sure I learned just as much as they did. Since I stayed home and went to a community college my first year, this was perfect.
When I went to Sam, I kind of felt lost for about a week. My passion for girls was still very there, but I knew NO ONE at school. I didn't know where to go to church, what organizations to get involved in, nor did I have any friends to ask. So, I just started going to things. Alone. Boy was that a stretch for me (because at home I knew everyone and upon entering my church could easily say hi to 50325 people before I ever entered the front door. That's what happens when you attend the same church your whole life) but it was a good thing. In attending new things, I met some girls. They were in a sorority and told me I should get involved. Yes, it was a christian sorority (not that secular ones are bad, I just wasn't into that kinda thing), but like I said, I wasn't into that kind of thing.
Well, push came to shove, and I ended up attending the first meeting of Sigma Phi Lambda, and joined that night. I had an instant connection with a few of the girls, and felt very accepted and comfortable there, hence my rash decision making. And alas, it was basically girls ministry in college.
To say that I loved Phi Lamb is a complete understatement. I wouldn't have become chaplain, or led small groups, or invested my life in these girls for 4 years if I didn't love it.
Of course, during all this, school was getting busier and busier and then I had to face the future. Graduation was upon me. What would I do?!
Right before my Senior year I interned as a Girls Ministry leader at my church for the summer and loved it. But I figured that that would be it, and after graduation I would get a teaching job, and just continue to volunteer as a leader.
The Lord clearly had another plan, because here I am today. A Girls Ministry Director at a CHURCH. Oh, but the love I have for this place and these girls. It is THERE!
Let me tell you why MY other plan was something I loved for a while.
I figured that when I started teaching, yes, I would definitely become a volunteer and probably lead a 2:42 small group, but in the mean time, I would attend Houston's First Baptist Church, because that is surely where I would meet my future husband. I mean, that IS what every single christian in Houston does after graduation if they're not yet married. If that was the plan, then I didn't have to worry about never getting married, because I would find my prince charming there.
Fast forward to now, where I can't attend that church because I clearly have an obligation to mine. Yes, I go on Sunday nights to big church, but the hopes of me meeting someone between the times of 6:30 and 8:00, DURING CHURCH are slim to none. I'm truly not complaining, just stating the facts.
That is the only reservation I had in taking this job. Seriously. How ridiculous is that?! That I would have sacrificed the best job ever, in order to be a teacher, just to go to a different church to meet my husband, where there is not even a guarantee that I would have met him there. How sad I would have been.
I'm not saying that I don't still wonder how I am going to meet my husband. I have not a fat clue. But, I know the Lord does, and I know He is going to have to be a little more creative in fashioning this meeting than me just meeting him at a church that clearly hosts every Godly, young single man in the city of Houston. Who am I kidding, though, he may not even live in Houston.
All of this to say, that every time my precious little cell phone rings, or my alarm goes off, I am reminded to LET GO. To let go of my dreams and the life I planned for ME. To lose control. That this is a giant leap of faith, and I am trusting and trying to embrace the fear of the unknown. And I am so thankful.
I'm letting go!
12 comments:
I love that song too (for obvious reasons)! I think your outlook is awesome. And believe me, as a fellow girl waiting on the Lord's timing and His perfect fulfillment of a dream, I know that your attitude is only of the Lord. So keep letting go and shine Him boldly, my friend!
i sang that song at a church in north carolina...it's as much fun to sing as saying her name is :)
I just have to say that I have such fond memories of our chalkboards/markerboards, walkie-talkies, logs, seating charts, and lesson books. We were the best. teachers. ever.
I love you with my whole heart and I am so proud of you and your journey.
<3 your bff ;)
God has led you on such a distinct and purposeful path and I can't wait to see what corner of the road HE has your hubs waiting. Let go and you never know where your man may be! :)
enjoy being totally abandoned to HIM! ...He knows our desires. And HE will supply our every need! (Phil. 4:19) Just read it! have a great day, Lindsee.
-Taylor
I can completely see where you're coming from. It's very hard to give up a dream that you've always held onto. After that's gone, the only thing left to hold onto is Him, so hold on for dear life! I've also held on to "my future" plans, and they aren't what I've always wanted. It's going to be so fun to see how He puts my Mr. Right in my life, because I live in a sparsely populated place, and the only other guy my age at church is my best friend who is engaged. :)
Yep, Linds, God is full of surprises. As one who's been there believe me, my life has taken twists and turns I could never have planned. FYI: I never planned on getting married before I was thirty--was going to be a successful business woman, independent and tied to nothing!! God had a different plan. I was married at 21 and had two children by the time I was 30. So, hang in there. He has a perfect plan for you. Just listen and follow. I promise it will be one wild ride.
Much love,
~Cheryl
I love you Linds and am just so proud of how you are an encouragement and leader for so many girls out there. I will be hugging you in like 10-15 days!!!
Maybe he's from Michigan? Sorry, I couldn't resist! :) I am going to hear this song and may just have to copy you and make it my cell phone ring tone. You are so on track! Keep doing what you are doing and letting go!
Much love,
Angie xoxo
God is full of surprises that He places in our lives at just the right time. I know God has someone special picked out for you and I can't wait to hear about how you two met. I was in Boone when I met Shelly and Abby for the first time and saw her and Nate that weekend. Cute as could be! I am so happy that God let me be a bystander on that one. You are so precious and funny and so full of love for God!
Love,
Patty
hi lindsee, you don't really know me, but am laura hodges' sister, so i was perusing her friends blogs and read your last post. i just wanted to let you know that i attended houston's first for 3 years, never dated anyone who want to first and ended up meeting my husband at a friends wedding about 2 years ago...what are the odds of that happening? :) anyways, just want to encourage you that God is soveriegn. :) -- liz hodges dammel
Liz! Thank you so much for your sweet comment. He is sovereign and that is a great reminder! And how fun that now it's Laura's turn! Woo Hoo!
Post a Comment