Wednesday, October 8, 2008

LIT

Last night at bible study before we started, Miss Beth asked a few people if they would share something they've learned so far. She and Melissa just needed to know if they are getting through to anybody. (Insert loud "YES!!" here!) It was awesome to hear the answers of some of the girls and nod in complete agreement to everything they said about why they were enjoying bible study, and what they were learning.

I didn't speak up, but if I would have, my answer would have been...

Growing up in church is a huge blessing. I see that now that I am older. But, that doesn't mean that those of us that grew up in church know everything or more about the bible than those of us that didn't grow up in church. That is so far from the truth. Yes, I went to Awanas and Sunday School and learned the books of the bible, and MANY bible stories, yes I did, but that's just it, I just learned them. Never really applied them, though. And here I am 15 years later, learning all those stories again and even the books of the bible again, and SO much more, and it is THRILLING. Y'all, it is a ride that I wish all of you could take with me.

For instance, last week, Beth took us through the WHOLE bible, from Genesis to Revelation. (All about the story of redemption and God's pursuit of man!) Absolutely amazing. Never, ever, have I done that, and boy was it fascinating. It was so nice to tie everything together and see the story of our Jesus from beginning to end. Thrilling. As she took us through it, she had us copy each part down on note cards, and then had us memorize them along with our other homework (Which took us through the whole bible again!). So now, I can tell you the story of the bible, beginning to end, without problem. Would I have learned that in church? I think not. Not dogging the church AT ALL, it's just not pulpit material normally.

She and Melissa have also taken us through where the bible came from, why bother studying it, the different languages, how the books of the bible were chosen, who wrote each part, the story of redemption and that really it is the "old covenant" and the "new covenant" instead of the the old and new testaments. And SO much more.

We are also going through two books that I would highly encourage you to get. They are extremely easy reads and are packed with information if you are interested in anything theological. On the Old Testament and On the New Testament by Mark Driscoll are definitely worth purchasing.

Last night we learned about all the different Bible translations and it was exciting to say the least. They were so right on last night when they told us that we'd need to take out a loan to get all the books they've recommended. I totally agree. On top of all the books they recommended, I am totally wanting more translations of the bible, too, but for now my checkbook will only allow Bible Gateway to translate for me.

The reason this study has meant more to me than anything, is because it has truly given me a desire and passion to know the WORD more. To know HIM more. To be a student of the Bible and to not stop learning.

Every other bible study I have done has been more about my "heart." Heart issues. Knowledge has been apart of those studies for sure. But this one is pure knowledge about the Bible, which in return is doing a work on my heart. And giving me a greater love for Him. You can't help but be in AWE of the one and only God of the Universe when you learn about the history of the bible, and how it is constantly changing lives. He has captivated my heart without a doubt during this study. And captivating is probably the word I would use if you asked me to sum the class up in one word. Captivating.

Not only is it an "Intro to Bible" class, it is a bible class on a way personal and intimate level. We are not only learning more about the Word, we are applying it to our lives and application is HUGE.

I have been to Tuesday night bible study during a normal semester, and sister, this is completely different. I mean, for goodness sake, we are asking questions during bible study. The ladies are checking our homework (accountability), and we are getting stickers, tattoos, chocolate, blow pops and even a book, as of last night. (That me and a lot of other girls won in a giveaway drawing. Fun!) Every Tuesday night on the way home, I thank the Lord for this amazing opportunity, and pray that I would absorb as much as He allows.

And I haven't even told y'all about the homework, but just know that it is GOOD, and it is one of my favorite parts because I get to search the scriptures for myself. For me, it is a bit difficult to actually finish, but I wouldn't ask for anything less. (And that's just because I'm busy and haven't given myself time to do it. We are SO working on that. And I'm happy to report I've finished it all so far! Glory to Him!)

This season/transition of my life has been a bit harder than I expected. As I said in an earlier post, I finally have realized that everything is different, and I am a grown up. It has been especially harder because I haven't met as many girls as I would have hoped to yet, and I am still living with my parents. (Don't get me wrong, I love my parents and living with them, I mean, they are reading this right now, but it is just a weird transition.)

During this transition, the Lord was so sweet in His timing to give me this bible study this semester. It has been the perfect thing, because it has made me dig into His Word and really truly find my fulfillment in Him. And be found in Him. I am so thankful.

I know that this is by far the choppiest post I've ever written, but I really don't know how to make it flow when I have so much flowing out of my heart. I wish I could type out EVERYTHING, but we'd be here all day.

So, that is what I would say if asked if I've gotten ANYTHING out of this study. YOU BET YOUR BOTTOM DOLLAR I HAVE!

I hope and pray that Beth, Melissa (and Curtis, too) know the impact they are having on us young things. I hope they know the eternal impact they are having. Oh, the seeds they have planted. It's like a tease of a class because we want so much more, or at least I do. I pray huge blessings over their sweet souls for the time they have poured over this study! Because it has been the most humongous blessing to us.

Until next time, I pray that He gives each and everyone of us a passion and desire to KNOW Him through His Word. Oh, that we would be LIT because His Word IS like fire! Glory!

Four weeks down, six to go...

12 comments:

Holly said...

Oh blessed girl, I love your heart for Jesus. This was not choppy at all, but well written and beautiful. My heart kept thinking, as I read, how I love that you used the word, "Thrilling" with the knowledge of the Word!

Bless those teachers for pouring into your lives.
Love and prayers for you!
Holly

PS Yes, I'm up at 3:30--terrible cold, so I came to drink some hot Theraflu. So glad I sat to read, while I drank. For you have blessed me so, Lindsee.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog and I go to beth's class. I must say on my part it is amazing being apart of it but quite honestly overwhelming. Not growing up in any religion and not knowing Christ till you were older makes me feel so defeated. You just wanna shrink in your seat and hope that she or anyone at that matter doesn't call on you or asks you a question because you don't know. No way in the world I would risk showing my answers to get a lolly pop because what if someone reads it. What if it is wrong. Or that you didn't fill a part of it in because you weren't too sure how to answer it because you just don't know. I don't know the books of the bible all the way through and I don't know those stories. When something is said and you just have no clue what it is and everyone is in such a great discussion you want to follow along but you don't even know what we are talking about. I don't know alot and I still struggle with even giving him my all and trusting. That is pathetic.You might say then this is the perfect place for you. It overwhelms me to be in a place and see all these wonderful woman and beth and melissa in love with Him. Something you want something you have experienced bits and pieces of, not that Christ isn't there but that on my part I'm scared to trust. I love the lord and have been in a better place than now but honestly I feel so defeated. I don't even want to be around people at this point or go to church. God is such an amazing and TRUTHFUL God. One who has never left me and although I didn't even know who he was growing up can see him in my life then as a child. What happened? Where did I go wrong? Why can't I give him everything. I feel so much guilt and even having these awful thoughts I coward down to Him because I'm ashamed. He loves me 24-7 and I can't love him back all of the time. I'm still working on the realationship part and this all probably sounds like I don't know him in my heart. I do. I miss him. I miss hearing him and seeing him. I miss our random conversations. Well God isn't random but I am. I miss Him. I miss the want to keep going and keep trying but right now i'm lonely.

Little Steps Of Faith said...

girl...I am SO at the place you are right now:) love ya Linds!

Little Steps Of Faith said...

Can I reach out to your anonymous friend before I make my coffee today?

Again, as I told Linds, I am there too...I have the same questions you do, and have been attending my church for a 11yrs, but up until now I realized that it was all I've ever known since I was 17yrs old...its RIGHT to question, its RIGHT to wonder, but as far as measuring and comparing yourself to others, its RIGHT not to want to do that either. Linds knows this, but I gave up my Beth Moore books, not because I didn't love them, because I DID, but because for me, its no longer the time for me to use them, God wanted me front and center.

That's okay too!

Knowing the bible will take time, but break it up into parts, start with psalms to break into it, and start with Psalm 27...first line, and from there go where you feel led....its a suggestion:)

And I date when I am in the middle of a message at church, or learn personally, and I also give it a short title..it helps the process:)

I hope you hold on to Jesus through this; I'll be praying for you, but I KNOW I won't be the only one!

Angie

Dana said...

So proud of you my friend! Wish I could be there beside you. Keep up the hard work, it is so worth it!

debra parker said...

I am so HAPPY for you. God is so good, overwhelming, captivating and just plain AMAZING.

May your soul be ignited with a passion that will not burn out.

I hear you on "growing up in church." That is the talk with teen girls that I often have. I see that in them often.

Lindsee Lou said...

Dear Anonymous-

I am so sorry that you are feeling defeated and overwhelmed during this study. Starting today I am praying that the Lord would give you a clear understanding of His word, and that He would light a fire and thirst in you that is so unquinchable.

Girl, you would be happy to know that last week I made one of the ladies check my answer just to make sure I did it right! I was confused, too.

And please know that they would never call you out during any of the studies and they would surely never think any bad thoughts about you because you didn't finish your homework or you don't understand something. That is totally a lie from Satan, he wants you to feel defeated and worthless.

You are so right on when you say He loves you 24/7, because sister, he does!

Thank you so much for being honest and letting me know about your bible study experience. Please, if you want to, email me at lindsee.eddy@gmail.com and maybe we can meet up one night at bible study and maybe I can help you understand a few things. If not, I totally understand! Either way, know that I am praying for you and your heart.

Lindsee

Missy said...

What an amazing opportunity! I so wish I was right in there with you. :) Keep pressing into Him. You are awesome!

Kelli said...

I know that you said that your post was so choppy, but let me tell you it screamed to my heart (in a good way)! My excitement for you is just so much and I HOPE and PRAY that I get an opportunity to participate in that same study (you should drop the hints that they should make it into a video study)!! :)

You are such an amazing and Godly woman, and if I was at that study, I would grab coffee with you. It is so hard to meet new women when you are in transition and I can completely relate. Maybe someday we will be able to meet up!

God is doing such amazing things with you!! Thank you for sharing with us how you are LIT!

Fran said...

Gosh this sounds just so awesome Linds!! I mean...how we all need this material. I'm so excited for all of you. Tuesday night is always popping into my head and I'm praying for the absorption and thrill of it for you.

You go girl. I love ya to pieces!
Hugs,
Fran

Nicole said...

Oh i SO wish I could live in TX to take that class! I wonder if they will ever do a video of it with workbooks for homework.

So awesome for what it is doing for you! I will totally look into the old and new test. books. Keep updating about the class, I love hearing about it!

Holly said...

Hey Lindsee,

I sent you an email about ordering plates a couple of days ago. Did I send it to the right place? Reply and let me know, when you can.

Praying you have a blessed Sabbath!
Holly