Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Live Love

This weekend was nothing short of a God ordained and God honoring weekend. I can honestly say that, and with great joy.

As you remember me telling you Friday, the theme for the weekend was Live Love. Oh y'all, it could not have come at a better time! Francis Chan is a wonderful communicator. I am now on the hunt for his book, Crazy Love. The Lord has gifted that man tremendously and is using him mightily to further the kingdom. If you haven't heard of him, or even heard him teach the Word, you are truly missing a treat. He definitely does not take the Word of God lightly and it is very evident.

However, before you read any further, I need you to go read Revelation 4. Go. Now.

Y'all, do you realize that that is the God we are praying to? Francis taught on this passage Friday night and I think it changed all of our perspectives for the better, and rightfully so. We serve a Mighty God who sits on a Mighty Throne. Amen!

Of course we all went back to our host homes Friday night and were pooped. Fridays are always hard nights because of the day you've had. However, even our exhaustion kept us up till 2:30 to arise at 6:00 a.m.! I don't think I've ever prayed more for supernatural energy from God than I did this weekend. And I am so serious!

Saturday Francis really took us into the Live Love part of the retreat and boy oh boy did he pull it all together in an awesome way.

I am going to spare you every detail and topic because frankly, we'd be here forever, however, the thing that got each of our hearts stirring was the end when he used the analogy that we as a church are like a football team. Or really, a poor one. We get in our "huddles" make all these plans and talk all this talk, then go sit on the bench. And that's it. Y'all, the sad thing is, that is the church these days. We're talking the talk, oh yeah, and doing a mighty fine job, but when it actually comes to serving and living out love, we stink. And no, I am not blaming all of your churches and not looking at mine, I am putting my church in this category, too. It's not that we aren't doing anything, it's just the fact that we could be doing so much more, but sadly, we aren't.

That struck a cord.

That afternoon when we got home, I threw out the curriculum (which was fabulous, by the way, and very thorough!) and got down and dirty with the girls. Because honestly, we'd just heard a Word that was not to go unnoticed. So, I asked them two questions: Is your relationship with God growing and if not, why not? And, how are we as a group, and as individuals going to start living love? If we didn't make a plan right then, nothing was going to happen. Needless to say, it brought up some great conversations.

Little did we know (because I forgot my cell phone in the car) that the seniors had been moved also, and were planning a trip downtown the next morning to feed and clothe the homeless. Amazing! Our group was immediately on board and we started doing what we could like collecting things and getting food together. Four groups ended up going!

There is nothing neater than to see the Lord work in the heart of a teenager. It is a blessing!

That night, as a large group, a game was planned that was very similar to a scavenger hunt sending each grade group door to door. Basically, they had to collect things that were "bigger and better" than the thing they'd been given.

Well, my girls really didn't want to play the game, and since we were already going from door to door, they wanted to instead, collect things for the homeless! I didn't object! So, our group split up and some of the girls played the game, while the rest of us went door to door to collect things like blankets and jackets and food for the homeless. It was so neat to watch the girls interact with complete strangers and explain to them what we were doing! They were totally out of their comfort zones (by choice!) and were being so bold. Little did they know they were sharing Christ just by explaining what they were doing.

It was thrilling to see how gracious the people were and to see the girls keep going even when some people could care less what they were doing and shut the door in their face. (Or just didn't answer even when we could see them inside!) We collected a whole Yukon XL trunk of things. The girls were so encouraged and pumped!

That night we went back to church where we had a time of worship with Roger Cullins and also spent time worshipping through spoken word! It was a time the students could share either something they had learned that weekend, or share their testimony. It was a great night and Roger did a great job at leading us in song!

After we left church that night, we went home to make our PB&J sandwiches, and then started our devotion/encouragement time at about midnight. Y'all, this is where I tell you that we were up until 5:15 a.m. No joke. My eyes are heavy thinking about it! However, I wouldn't have traded my sleep for anything else. It was such and edifying time! Really, that night, we just took a short nap.

We woke up Sunday morning, with the heaviest of eyes, got dressed, cleaned up and headed downtown. Of course, our group was late because we took the road that happen to be shut down, so we had a little detour, but, we finally made it, took in our clothes and food, helped sort everything and then left. Since there were so many of us, only the seniors could stay and serve breakfast, but, the girls still felt that the time there was not wasted. And, it got them thinking about what else we could do, and when they could go back!

On our way to church we, of course, stopped at Starbucks and I loved nothing more than taking a sip of caffeine. Oh, it was nice!

Y'all, the weekend was such that the Lord planned every detail ahead of time and the students obeyed Him. It was probably one of the neatest and best retreat weekends that has happened in a long time. And has not doubt gotten each of our minds on how we can be the church and actually rise up to Live Love. I pray that this is true of your church, too. If not, be the one to start something. I'll tell you what I always tell myself and pray, "And let it begin with me!"

My girls joyfully making the sandwiches. I worked hard by taking pictures and video! ;)
Just a little pile.
Look at this goodness.
I wouldn't expect anything else than a car full of sleeping girls on the way downtown. This is what going to bed at 5:15 a.m. and waking up way to early to go downtown will do to you!
They're so sweet when they're sleeping! ;)
About half of my group at Starbucks (or course!) after our outing! We thoroughly enjoyed our caffeine intake.
And lastly, enjoy a few videos of our "lack of sleep" Saturday night. Sorry they are probably all our of order! (Oh, and please forgive the "fart" comment at the end of this video. We are truly sorry if it offends anyone!) ;)

If you made it to the end of this post, bless you! Sending much love your way!

Lindsee

3 comments:

debra parker said...

I seriously am on the hunt for that book as well. I thought about it all day yesterday. Interesting.

Missy said...

Love that God used your weekend in ways you totally didn't expect! Hope you are able to catch up on sleep this week.

Unknown said...

Perfect recap of the weekend. I am truly amazed at my God's work even when I don't expect it. I don't know if you are one to books (rather than just borrowing them) like me, but I bought it(of course) and you are welcome to borrow it.