Thursday, November 11, 2010

I'm Such a Punk

I spent this past Monday and Tuesday out at Camp Tejas with the beloved pastors of my church. The fact that they asked me to join them on their retreat was a complete honor and I was really looking forward to hanging out with them in a different setting. Plus, this retreat is considered the rest and rejuvenation retreat and I wasn’t about to pass up that opportunity, even though I had the choice. Besides all staff lunch once a month when we’re all together, I typically hang out with the same four or five pastors, specifically the ones I serve with, so it was good for me to be around all of them in a less intimidating environment.

I had huge plans on my agenda to nap and read a lot, but I’ll have you know that I took zero naps and read not one page of my book. From the minute we got there to the minute we left, I decided to try new things out with people I do not know very well and loved every second of it.

So, what did I do, you ask? I am so glad you asked.

I did spend some quality time with the Lord, played a round of Frisbee Golf, watched some students (not ours) zip line, played a little basketball, enjoyed a campfire that involved singing, praying and roasting mini-marshmallows, played a Q&A game, watched a Brian Regan DVD, read a book in one hour with the staff, discussed the book, shot a 44 Magnum and some other guns, zip lined myself, and went home.

I’ve realized over the years two things about myself. I am a very social person and thrive around people and I easily give into peer pressure.

Although I did learn in my chapter of reading that “No” is a complete sentence, that word does not come naturally to me. I’m a people pleaser at best.

Hence the shooting of the scariest gun to ever exist, basketball, Frisbee golf and so on and so forth.

BUT, with that said, I had the best time and wouldn’t trade those 48 hours for anything or done it any different. Since I really didn’t know what to expect on this retreat, I just kind of went with the flow and I’m so glad I did. Not that I don’t love reading or napping, but I think if I would have stuck to my original plan, I would have been slightly bored. I can read and nap whenever, but it’s not every day I can hang with the men and do things that don’t come naturally to me. Like shooting guns.

I am so thankful that for such a time as this the Lord has placed me on such a wonderful staff full of different personalities, perspectives and seasons of life. I’m definitely the youngest with the least amount of experience in ministry, so to watch and learn from this is something I don’t take for granted. My prayer is that I steward this position well and work at it with excellence.

Me, David, JJ and Brenda right before we headed down the zip line.

I was about to poop on myself I was so nervous. Sorry for the visual.

Off we go!

I LOVE a good zip line. It's the climbing and waiting part that I don't love.

Can we discuss the fact that the harness flatters no one?

Thankful to be alive to tell you all about it! So fun, that I went back for more.


Whatever you do, don't miss this video of my shooting the 44 Magnum. In my head I kept singing "Annie Get Your Gun". What an adrenaline rush that was. I don't plan on going back for more anytime soon.


2 comments:

Lauren said...

SO fun!!!!! :)

Kelli said...

So glad you had that time to R&R.... and um you are so brave. I just shuttered watching the video of you shooting that gun.