Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Boot Scootin' Boogie

The month of March is a really good month for the city of Houston. Not only is our weather wonderfully similar to California weather, but, the Rodeo comes to town. And lest you think I've forgotten about Spring Break, I have not. It is sandwiched right in the middle.

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
is, dare I say, the largest in the world. If you don't believe me, read the paragraph I ripped off of the website that is completely legit.

"For more than 78 years, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo has been the heartbeat of the Southwest, beating powerfully with nearly 24,000 volunteers who annually contribute their time, resources, and talent as part of the world's largest livestock exhibition, world's richest regular-season rodeo, and the Southwest's premier entertainment event."

See, I told you. I honestly can't compare it to any other rodeo, because I've never been to another rodeo, but it's pretty stinkin' great.

Every year I try and go at least once, if not twice. I would go daily if possible, but I don't have money coming out my ears, and quite frankly, the crowds can be a bit overwhelming. However, the people watching is beyond anything I can describe. It's exhilarating, to say the least. I went this past Friday and the entertainer that night was Lady Antebellum. I've only recently gotten really into them, but I have come to love them. They're like the Dixie Chicks and Rascal Flatts combined. Anybody that can give me pure three part harmony has stolen my heart.

There are three parts to the rodeo that everyone must know about. Since some of you don't have the pleasure of living in good ol' Houston, TX, I'm now going to give you the Tour de' Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

1. The Livestock Show

You just can't miss it. It's filled with live farm animals that you don't typically see everyday. That is unless you're involved with the FFA, which I am not. My favorite part is the birthing center. I didn't take a picture, but there is a chart up where they document the animals born each day. It is so neat! We got to see baby lambs and piglets. I could not get over the cuteness. In fact, the lambs were born just three hours before we arrived! How cool is that? They also have a bunny exhibit, you can watch chicks hatch and all sorts of other fun stuff. It is truly the largest livestock show.

Bethany and I on the metro rail heading to the rodeo. I have to say, I loathe all parking at the rodeo, but we found Houston's best kept secret on Friday. But I'm going to keep it a secret. That is unless you are my friend, then I'll tell you. : )

I don't remember this cows name, but a photo-op only felt appropriate. We may or may not act like five year olds while walking around the livestock show.

The baby piglets!

I thought this was hilarious. The mom had just inhaled her food, and was clearly thirsty.

The baby lambs.

This is for all you Longhorns. Hook 'em. (My older brother will appreciate this picture.)

I think this bunny needs a new diet plan.

We ran into some sweet friends from church right outside of the livestock show. Christina and Ellie are both crack ups!

These are some of my high school girls. LOVE them! (They came to watch Mutton Bustin' with me since they were there too!)

Mutton Bustin'. You've not lived until you've seen this. It is, BY FAR, my favorite part of the entire rodeo. I could watch it for hours. Let me explain and you'll understand why. You get a four or five year old brave little guy or girl, stick them on the back of a sheep, and let 'em ride. It's like bull riding, but much less severe.

Look at her pink little boots. That's one brave girl.

Seriously! Is it not the cutest thing? The fact that they have a Mutton Bustin' tent says a lot.

These were the three winners. They were getting interviewed on their successful rides! Adorable!


2. The Food

When I say you can get anything and everything at the rodeo, I'm not lying. The food tents are incredible, and yes, you can get ANYTHING fried here. Just look at the picture below. It's insane. And you would not believe the lines people wait in to get this stuff. I look forward to the food as much as I do the vast entertainment. Food is important, folks. Want some BBQ? Have at it. Fajitas? Check. Funnel cake? You've got it. Fried snickers? Why, of course. Turkey legs? They sell them in bulk. In Texas, everything is bigger, and better.

One of the many "fried" stands.

THE best BBQ Chicken Sandwich that's ever existed. It's from Goode Company Bar-B-Q and you can only get it at the rodeo. It's such a tease since we live five minutes from a Goode Company, but it's well worth it. In fact, I'm going back again...tomorrow. And I plan in inhaling this again.


3. The Rodeo

Once you've had all the fun you can handle outside with food and animals, it's time to head inside to the actual rodeo. I like to go inside in time to watch all the bull riding, horse races, calf scrambles and all sorts of fun things. What's a rodeo without that? I love me some entertainers, but you can't miss the real rodeo. After two hours of non-stop entertainment, they finally turn the lights down, place the rotating stage in the middle of the arena, do a fireworks show and get the party started. It's so fun! Entertainers range from Janet Jackson to Tim McGraw. If you're not a fan of country music, rest assured, there will always be someone there that you probably like. Houston knows how to entertain you, that's for sure!

This is looking down on the carnival from Reliant Stadium.

Getting ready for Lady Antebellum!

We didn't have great seats last week, but it's fun nonetheless. Lady A was so great!

At then end of the night, you go home happy, tired and thankful to have been with fun friends. If you're ever in Houston in March, don't miss it!


5 comments:

Missy said...

Um...you might need to bring me a chicken sandwich to go. I am debating running into the rodeo after my dr. appt on Thursday just to get another one. And I'm starting a petition that they sell them at the restaurant. This pregnant mommy needs to satisfy her cravings! :)

Unknown said...

This sounds like SO much fun, makes me wanna visit Texas :) -Kelly f.

debra parker said...

I need one of those chicken sandwiches about right now... dinner time.

So glad we are in Houston together.

Lindsey said...

Looks like I need to add Houston Rodeo to my bucket list!

Kristin said...

So are those jeggings I see you sportin'?!?!?! They look good!!! So our rodeo pales in comparison but our small town goes nuts for it nonetheless. It is the last weekend in April and I CAN'T WAIT!! Easton Corbin is our 'big' concert this year!!! Lady A would be cooler but we're small!!