Thursday, March 10, 2011

Not Just a Neat Christian Guy

*This is a re-post from a little over a year ago. I had to remind myself of this just this morning, so thought I would encourage all of you as well. Believe God, sweet friends.

It's no secret that I've never dated anybody.

It's no secret that I'll be 25 this year. (Actually 26.)

It's no secret that that's a sincere desire of my heart.

It's no secret that I believe Him for that desire, but that it's just a matter of time. His time, not mine.

And although I'm afraid my timetable probably looks terribly different than His, I am still hopeful that He will not fail me. That is if I hope in Him, not my circumstances.

However, it's also no secret that even though it's not always easy to wait, and sometimes it's frustrating, confusing or lonely, He's in the midst of preparing me for something greater than myself. Something I can't explain and may never know this side of heaven.

A few years back one of my college girlfriends lent me a CD series on dating by Matt Chandler. It was the first I'd heard of him and I was instantly challenged and encouraged. It wasn't like every other "dating" book I'd read, or singles series I'd heard, but it was raw, truthful and godly. I actually still have those CD's and was just reminded of them this morning.

You see, every morning while I'm getting ready for the day I listen to a podcast. I have a wide variety of pastors and speakers I subscribe to and among them is Matt Chandler. Just this morning as I was listening while getting ready for church, Matt was my podcast of choice and in the midst of this series he was doing, dating came up.

I'm not going to lie, I immediately always tune in because I can't miss such pertinent information. Especially if it's godly, wise advice on telling me how to "wait" for my man, and later, be a better wife to my unknown future husband.

It's always "fun" to hear Matt get riled up because oh boy does that man have some passion.

His plea to all the singles was that he was FOR single guys searching for a wife. It is the biblical thing to do. To man up, take some responsibility, move out of the house, get a job and start to establish a family. I'm not sure how many fist pumps I did, but I assure you it was a substantial amount. I truly couldn't agree more, but after that I wondered, well then where the heck are all of these godly guys?

However, he wasn't done. It was then that he harped on the girls for 2.5 seconds to try and get through to them to STOP dating the "neat Christian guys", the guys that just go to church, but to truly desire a godly husband and wait for him.

One that is pursuing his relationship with Christ first and foremost.

One that is a leader in his workplace and his home.

One that will pursue biblical manhood.

One that will love his wife the way Christ loves the church.

So often these girls meet these guys, start dating them, get married out of desperation and are miserable because he's truly not the godly man they desired.

No, he's not perfect, and never will be, by any stretch of the imagination. But he's pursuing the things of Christ.

But there is a huge difference in just a neat Christian guy and a guy that is pursuing Christ whole heartily and longs to serve him both alone and with his wife.

I remember hearing this in college, and even talking about it in college with some of my girlfriends. But today is struck a chord because that IS my heart’s desire. I don't want to settle for just a "neat Christian guy." Not after all this time.

I desire a husband who is whole heartily devoted to Christ and serving him and I think it'd be so neat to be along for the ride. I believe God for this. I've always prayed for this, but now I believe Him for this.

What was the point of all my waiting if I just settled for something mediocre instead of His absolute best for me all out of desperation? How pitiful.

I can't say I deserve a man like this; quite frankly, I don't "deserve" anything. But our God is a God of grace and He desires to bless us abundantly.

As I think on these desires and prayerfully consider them, a few examples of relationships like this immediately come to mind.

Curtis and Amanda Jones, who both serve with Living Proof Ministries in different capacities, but both have a heart for ministry.

Ben and Donna Stuart, who serve at Breakaway Ministries at Texas A&M University. Ben is the director and the main teacher while Donna gets to use her gifts of leading worship and investing in college girls. How neat is that?

Afshin and Meredith Ziafat. While Afshin travels to speak all over the world, quite literally, Meredith gets to travel alongside him and encourage other believers using her degree in Biblical Counseling. It's not "official" per say, but it's a gift nonetheless.

This isn't even including all the amazing couples whom I'm privileged to serve with in my church, those of whom have decided to serve the Lord together, rather than apart. My parents for one, JJ and Anna Jones, David and Angie Martin, Greg and Allison Despres and countless others.

If witnessing all of these examples of service to the Lord with your spouse doesn't encourage me in my waiting for a godly husband, I'm not sure what will.

Mark my words now, I'm praying and believing God for a godly man who is pursuing the things of Christ, not just a neat Christian guy who goes to church.

Know that I’m praying and believing God for that for you as well.

6 comments:

Jamie E. said...

I've been reading your blog for some time now and have just never commented. I even remembering reading this very post the first time you posted it. Thank you so much for the reminder today...I needed it. I just got out of a wrong relationship that would fall into the category of settling for a "neat Christian guy." Thank you for reminding me that I need to be trusting God for a godly husband...that's what I have always prayed for. I too am now trusting God to bring the right man into my life. I pray God's best for you as well.

Dana said...

My sister (Erin Johnson) introduced me to your blog relatively recently. I have to say that I L.O.V.E this post! I may have fist pumped it myself a few times. Thanks so much for re-posting it so that those of us who missed it the first time can read it now.

And on a side note - I LOVE your owls!

Annie said...

I love this post, Lindsee. I read it last year when you originally posted it, but it still speaks as much truth to my heart now as it did then. Thanks for reposting it!

Lauren said...

Lindsee, you did it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing post that resonated with my heart! I swear, one day, we will meet!!!! I just love you to pieces. Thank you for being you!!!

Lindsey said...

I printed this out the first time you posted it and put it with my "single girl" stuff. To say that the pages are worn would be an understatement. It's spoken to my heart on many a time...love that you reposted. Praying that it does for others what it has done for me.

Molly said...

Lindsee - SO BLESSED! I don't know you personally. I found your blog thru Amanda's (which I found thru LP blog).
I am 31, I have never had a boyfriend. But GOD has shown and healed so much that now at 31 I know I want a man that follows after Jesus. You know that saying.
'Run after Jesus and fast and as hard as you can and if you happen to look over an see someone runnning the same speed...they might be the one.'
I LOVE THE LORD, so my man is going to have to too. And I'll wait. I trust Jesus, its as simple as that. The Lord showed me that a relationship with Jesus is the first relationship anyone should have.
I was so blessed by your words and that we somewhat are on the same road. What a encouragement.
I always think where are the 'godly guys?' But I know GOD has a plan and is growing a 'godly girl,' first.
BTW - what are the names of Matt Chandlers CDs on dating, I'd love to listen.
Blessings sweet sister, GOD'S GOT IT!