The truth is, I love shopping.
I grew up shopping.
It's what my mom and I did together. All. The. Time.
Unlike some other folks, I don't think shopping is evil. I don't think it's wrong to shop and spend some money every now and then on some new clothes. But when you find yourself desiring to shop more than you should, or just getting a shirt here or there, maybe once a week, it can become a stumbling block. Maybe not to you, but it does to me.
I've never participated in Lent. I have certainly considered it year after year, but never came to a stark conviction of any one thing I should give up. This year, however, I knew right away. There was no question. I struggled with voicing my thoughts, because the minute I voice them to one person is the minute I'm held accountable. Eek. I toyed with the idea of giving up facebook or twitter, but those didn't hit me near as hard as giving up shopping.
Shopping? Give up shopping? It was then that I knew I had no option. If not, I was certain I'd be living with guilt and out of disobedience for the next 40 days.
It has been eight days and can I just say, although it's more than doable, it's so tough!
Most of Houston is currently on Spring Break and I took a few days off as well. The week has flown by and been so great, but it's days like today that I was reminded how often I would have a bit of free time here or there and take myself to the nearest Target, TJ Maxx, or Ross. I'm purposefully leaving out the Outlet Mall I live dangerously close to. I never needed anything new, I just wanted something new because it was fun. And let's be honest, instantly satisfying.
But if you're like me, you wear your new thing once or twice, and you're already ready for something new. Am I speaking the truth to anybody but myself? The harsh truth is, I have a closet filled with clothes and shoes and belts, oh my! There is not one thing I am currently in need of. Zip. Nada. Zilch. But I want that instant satisfaction and gratification. I want that, oh, that's so cute, where did you buy it?
I love clothes, a little too much.
Once Easter comes and goes, I really don't want to pick back up my old habit. Sure, I'll shop, but not because I'm bored of just have the urge. Where I'm finding satisfaction in my materialism, I'm not finding it in Jesus. Jesus must be my satisfaction. And if I let him, he can be. How many times has my heart cry been that people see Jesus in me? Countless. But I'm not sure I've let them past my cute cuffed jeans.
Today I had to return something for my triathlon to TJ Maxx. (For the record, I am buying stuff for that, but only because I didn't have it before I gave up shopping. I'll have you know, though, that spandex brings little to no satisfaction.) I was so tempted to walk around and just look. I didn't. When I left the store without doing what I was tempted to do, I felt a small victory. Yesterday my roomies went to the Galleria for fun. I was so tempted to forego my rodeo plans so I could go with them. I didn't. Again, small victory. Of course, I can't avoid my favorite places for the next 40 days, but I can choose not to put myself in that situation when my desire for a new top is greater than my desire to know Jesus.
I really don't want to sound like I'm tooting my own horn, I'm sharing my own heart in hopes that maybe someone is with me. Or maybe not.
The new Passion CD has been on repeat both in my car and on my computer since I bought it last week. It's life to my soul. I seriously enjoy every single song. In two words, I'm obsessed. Since last Wednesday the song, Lord, I need You, has the highest play count. The words at the bridge of the song are perfect:
So teach my song to rise to You
When temptation comes my way
And when I cannot stand I'll fall on You
Jesus You're my hope and stay
When temptation comes my way, I'll choose to fall on Him. When Mossimo is screaming my name, I'll choose Him. If I believe that Jesus is better, I want to live like He is better. I'm figuring out that's really hard.
It may sound silly, but I'm committed. I love shopping, but it needs to take a back seat.
If I'm a good girl, I might just treat myself with a new Easter outfit. But I am making no promises to myself.
Did you give up anything this year for Lent? Shopping? Someone tell me I'm not alone!
12 comments:
We'll have to chat after this is all over. I learned more through giving up the clothes for a year than I could have ever imagined. When I did it almost two years ago, it was for the exact reason you did it. Now, I'm praying through doing it again...more so out of necessity.
Praying for you, sweet friend. When you are tempted, remember that you are being lifted up!
I drove away Tuesday night thinking my response was probably not the most encouraging- so no Easter outfit? Ironically, I don't think I've had a new Easter outfit in years. :) I love that you're doing this. And no victory is a small victory when it's in Jesus' name. I'm cheering you on!
I had that song on repeat all day a few days ago...it was just what I needed to hear.
Blessings, blessings, blessings, dear Lindsee!
You are doing so well...GOD CANNOT BE OUTDONE IN GENEROSITY.... He knows your heart and the sacrifice you are making FOR HIM. He will bless your obedience.
I gave up "criticizing others" for Lent. I have failed several times already but I each morning I begin again. I am also trying not to eat between meals... that is going a little better but its still HARD!
Praying for you - hang in there. May you KNOW God's blessing this day.
I didn't know if I would participate this year or not. Then the word came to me to give up all beverages other than milk and water. I knew that and something that specific could only come from the Lord. No morning cup of coffee. No grape juice. No Dr. Pepper or raspberry iced tea from Sonic. No glass of wine with dinner. The last few days I have taken to asking the Lord to fill me with His living water and for him to be my living water each time I take a sip. At Sister Lynn's suggestion of incorporating prayer, fasting and alms-giving, I also took on an additional scripture to memorize and meditate on for the prayer portion, and we have given to a couple of organizations for earthquake relief for alms-giving.
Be blessed, Lindsee.
Honestly girl, I must confess that I my very first thought in reading this was "No Easter outfit??" too! As long as I've known you, you've looked "new" at the arrival of each new holiday. :0)
But Hallelujah to the One who makes things new! Who makes US NEW! All that longing for satisfaction is our hearts trying so desperately to make HEAVEN HERE. It's so rich when Jesus opens our eyes to these heaven replacements! Like you said, the "new" & "heaven" of them wears off so fast.
I LOVED reading this. I LOVE that God is so good to us! I'm with ya Linds. Here's to eternity rich with satisfaction, joy, & staring into the face of our Redeemer!
Love you!
Sally
So proud of your obedience Lindsee!!! He will so reward you for it!!!
I gave up blogging because it's such a time consumer for me - I only post my photo for Project 52 on Sundays and a couple days ago I decided to add in that I would only read blogs once a week. {Because reading blogs takes far more time than writing my own posts!} I really want to keep God at the forefront of my blogging, instead of turning it into something about me.
How awesome you are doing this! Our culture here in America is dangerously drowning in materialism. I think we as Christians need to take a stand against materialism. We have enough clothes and shoes in our closets to last us a lifetime when there are poor people in other countries who don't have shoes to fit them or clothes to keep them warm. It's a crying shame. Jesus didn't care about clothes or what He wore when He lived here on earth. His main purpose was to reach the lost. To die for us, to show us mercy, to give us life. We must become more like Him. "...let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross..." Heb.12:1-2
I'm not saying that buying cute clothes is a "sin" but when our main priority becomes shopping and finding gratification in that instead of Jesus, that's where the sin comes in. There's an awesome book called "Radical" by David Platt. A must read!
Lindsee you are so wise. So wise. I am so proud of you.
I decided that I was giving up FB and Twitter in the evenings to enjoy time with Chris!
How's it going so far, Lindsee? I am SOOOOO proud of you about your triathlon! SO proud! I know exactly what you mean about the shopping. I saw a tweet by John Piper... "For lent I'm giving up." I've thought about that so many times. It reminds me to give up control and surrender my life to Him.
I've missed you!
Angie xoxo
How's it going so far, Lindsee? I am SOOOOO proud of you about your triathlon! SO proud! I know exactly what you mean about the shopping. I saw a tweet by John Piper... "For lent I'm giving up." I've thought about that so many times. It reminds me to give up control and surrender my life to Him.
I've missed you!
Angie xoxo
Post a Comment