Sometime this summer my sweet friend Raven asked if I wanted to go to Sea World one weekend. I was totally up for it, but didn't commit because I have commitment issues when it comes to weekend plans because typically my weekends are very busy, especially in the summer. So when she mentioned that we might go in August, I was all about it. So, this past weekend it happened! When I realized I was actually able to sneak away for a few days, I was so excited. And to spend it with my first love, Shamu, made it all the better.
You see, for who knows how long, I've had an odd obsession with Shamu. Secretly, or not so secretly, I always wanted to be Shamu's trainer. Of course, I am actually to scared to to even step foot in that tank, let alone swim with that huge creature, so it's actually all just a dream. But a girl can dream, can't she?
I drove up to San Antonio after leaving work a little early on Thursday afternoon. I made awesome time getting up there. The rest of the crew was coming from Fort Worth. Upon arriving, I freshened up a bit and we all headed to eat on the Riverwalk, and more specifically, the Iron Cactus. Can you say yum? I literally eat there every time I'm in San Antonio. It was so much fun because our hotel was on the Riverwalk, so we got to take the boat taxi to dinner. Have I mentioned that I love the Riverwalk at night? It's just so neat.
After dinner we walked back to our hotel and crashed early for our big day on Friday.
Friday morning we were up and at 'em to get to Sea World when it opened. We didn't want to miss anything! I was just giddy that Shamu and I were about to reunite. It had been too long. Because we wanted to do everything Sea World offered and get our money's worth, we knew we'd be staying for a good portion of the day. But, IT WAS SO MUCH FUN! Yes, it was so hot it was stupid, but I am thankful for water rides and refreshing lemonade. If it weren't for those two things, I think I would have cratered that morning.
Headed to Sea World. I'm not sure the guys were as enthused as we were, but we had enough excitement for the entire park!

Katie took this pic of all of us waiting for "One Ocean", the new Shamu show to start. I was like a little girl on Christmas morning.

Hi, Shamu! The show was spectacular and he did not disappoint. It made my day! I am a sucker for all things cheesy. And by golly, the Shamu show is pure cheese.

Then we headed to watch the feedings for the sharks and stingrays. Those dudes were cracking us up! Can you imagine if that was your job? So fun.


Especially the babies. Oh my word, so cute. Apparently they are three months old and don't do much but sleep. Every now and then they go in the water for a little "swim lesson", but they spend most of their time sleeping on the rocks. The lady explained to us that the water is almost too cold for them because they don't have a lot of their flubber yet. Love it.

The penguins were up next but unfortunately, we couldn't see anything. They try and make it identical to their real habitat, and apparently we got there at night time. Seriously, I wasn't even sure there were even any penguins there.

Of course, we saw every show that was offered. The dolphin show is another favorite, but I didn't get any good pictures. It's just so tough when you're so enthralled with all that's going on.
However, that didn't stop us from getting all showered and heading to the market. Mi Tierra's was calling our name and we were starving! Even though we got there at 9:00 that night, there was still an hour wait. I think it was well worth it.

It always looks like the Garden Ridge Christmas sale blew up in Mi Tierra's. So funny.
I love this girl. I've been able to see her THREE times in two weeks which is a record since she lives in Fort Worth.

We all crashed that night and then the next morning headed out to do a few more fun things before we had to hit the road back home.
We started out by going through the Guinness World Record museum. So fascinating. I only got to spend about 30 minutes there, but what I did get to see blew me away. Some things just flat out freaked me out, but most of it was so intriguing.
This is the world's heaviest man. If I ever look like this, it will be because I have eaten too much Nutella.

I drove home. Stopped at Bucee's. Drove the Jen's house. Said happy birthday to her. Went to Feed a Friend downtown with a bunch of my favorite people. Ate dinner at Rudy's with a bunch of my favorite people. Drove home. Went to get dessert with more of my favorite people at Cheddar's. Crashed. Went to church. Went to lunch at Firehouse Subs. Went to see The Help with Jen. Deemed it the best movie ever. Cried. Laughed. Loved it. Went to Anthropologie and bought the cutest mug ever. Came home. Watched Craiglist Killer. Blogged. Slept.
Thank you, Shamu and friends, for being so good to me this weekend. It was epic.
I hope you had a great weekend too, friends.






4 comments:
ah! seems like you had an EPIC weekend! So glad to see you back! Love this little blog of yours!
I love the way you do your make up! What do you use? And where is that precious pink shirt with the ruffle sleeves from? It's too cute!
i absolutely LOVE this post because i absolutely LOVED that weekend! and i am so super glad you got over your commitment issues to the weekend and CAME.. =). and major HOLLA to the fact that we have seen each other so much recently!! love you sweet friend an absolute tons.
I LOVE how much fun you had!! You deserved a weekend just like that!
Post a Comment