Thursday, September 25, 2008

Love Languages

This past semester I read Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. I know I am not married, but I think it is so important for everyone to read this book because it honestly is very helpful in knowing how to love people better and understand how to love people by what their love languages are. It even helped me understand my love languages and how I feel most loved. We'll get to that!

Most people have more than one love language, but my assumption is that most bloggers, including myself have "Words of Affirmation" as at least one of our main languages. How is my assumption?! I know it is a primary one for me.

Y'all, I am a words kind of girl. Hence why I love blogging. Most times I feel like I can't speak it out as well as I can write things out, so that's why I love encouraging people through cards, emails, comments and what not, and love getting those kinds of things, also. Words of affirmation, as Gary Chapman puts it, "fill my love tank" like nothing else! Truly. As I said, I can't as eloquently (not that I write eloquently anyway) speak my love to somebody as well as I can write it. And really, when someone speaks something to me it's harder for me to accept it, then when it's written out. Weird, I know, but I'm working on it.

My other top language is quality time. Oh boy, do I love some quality time with the people I love. I feel so loved when somebody sets aside time to spend time with me. Sometimes it's even as simple as just going to the store with them, shopping with them, doing little things with them. Yes, I always love the good quality time, with good conversation where I walk away encouraged, but I am all about the little things, too!

And of course, I can't forget to add that pictures are also indeed one of my love languages! I mean, is that even legal?! But for real, if you haven't noticed already, I am a picture freak. Looking and taking. :)

I know that as time goes on and as seasons come and go, my love languages will probably change. I am sure that when I'm a mother "Acts of Service" will be pretty high priority, but then again, who knows.

And this isn't to say that any of the other love languages don't make me feel loved, but words and time are on the top of the list!

With that said, what is your love language? I am so interested, for real. So go ahead, fill my love tank! ;)

8 comments:

Missy said...

SUCH a great book, and is so beneficial in teaching and relationships in general.

I am totally words of affirmation and then quality time/acts of service run closely together.

But give me some words, and I am good to go! (Like you, I prefer them written!) :)

cristina said...

i think i need a reminder of what they are...

i used to think that acts of service was way up there, but more and more i think it's quality time with acts of service closely following.

i also think i'm messed up because someone once said they spoke love with one language but received it with another. so now i'm really confused. *sigh*

for the record, i'd never thought that words of affirmation was a top one for me, but because it's my hubby's main one, i have learned to speak it...

and so, i find this the perfect time to let you know i LOVE reading your blog, how you view life, how you share with those girls you now work with, how you and your friends are so sweet with one another. i feel like i know you because of this blog.

it is also amazingly encouraging to see a young woman so in love with Jesus. :)

connorcolesmom said...

I love that book as well
It really helps not only with your spouse but with children as well :)
And to help fill your tank - girl I just think the world of you - you are beautiful inside and out :)
I enjoy hearing about your life and definitely the pictures that capture the wonderful world of Lindsey :)
BTW: I am physical touch and quality time :)
It pains me not to be able to hug your neck and share a laugh over coffee but I will settle for the blog :)

Love ya
Kim

xoxo erika said...

Oooo...such a good book. One of my favorites. I think its great for all relationships. Like you, I read it before I got married and it was so good for my relationships with friends and family. I am a quality time/physical touch kinda gal!!

Allie said...

Ooooh, that book sounds fabulous, I SO wish I'd read it so I could tell you mine!! But, without reading it first, I'd say I'm a words sorta gal, I love writing and I love letters and emails and all things communicative.

As for you, you're a very real and very talented writer and your passion for Jesus is contagious! xxx

Angela Baylis said...

Hey, Linds!
I haven't been here in awhile. Sorry! Did I miss your new look? Anyway, it's beautiful! I never thought "Words of Affirmation" were my love language, but it must be or I wouldn't be blogging either! I always thought "Acts of Service" was mine. That book is a must read for all. The most difficult part for me in marriage (and life) is to remember how important it is to know my loved ones' love language and respect theirs even if it isn't mine. My husband's is touch by far! He'd rather hug me than make my coffee. I need to remember that. He'd rather ME hug him than cook a nice meal for him. It's so strange to me, but I believe it! I'm so glad you are reading books like these before you get married! Are you sure you are too tall for my John? :)
Love you,
Angie xoxo

Sarah said...

Love it, too. OK. I will be the first one to make the admission. My top love language is GIFTS! It's not so much the actual material gift, but the thought and going-out-of-the-way that goes along with it. Kirk hates to shop, so I know if I get a gift, I was thought of and that he went out of his way for me! My love languages do change (maybe too frequently).

GratefulinGA said...

Lindsee,
Sorry we missed meeting in SA...maybe next round.

I was wondering if you would hop over here and see what YOU can DO over here in your part of cyber-world.
much love and blessings,
tammy