Ike is a hurricane. And of course, because we here in Texas like everything big, he's a big one, and instead of getting smaller, he seems to be getting bigger.
If you were to walk into our local grocery store, you will notice that the shelves are already 3/4 empty. Bless, news of a hurricane travels fast. Here at home we've got our Triscuits and tuna all ready for the weekend, because according to Dad, that's all you need for a hurricane. However, I am not a fan of tuna, so I guess I'll be feeding off Triscuits all weekend. That is if Ike decides to bless us with his presence.
Here are a few reasons I would like Ike to go away:
1) I am not a huge fan of storms. Never have been, and I don't think I ever will be. Thunder, I can handle. Lightning, on the other hand is a COMPLETELY different story. Hate it with a passion. Wind, I can deal with minimal wind, however, Ike is supposed to be some strong winds our way. Honestly, this makes me a little anxious. My mind can think of every little thing that could go wrong with strong winds, so we won't even go there. (I was the girl that went and slept in my little brother's room, even up through high school. The rain didn't bang on his window like it did mine. Yes, that's how much I hate storms.)
2) Claire's sister, Bonnie, is supposed to get married this Saturday. I just got an email telling us how to get to the wedding going a different way in the case of bad rain. I am hoping it is just bad rain, with little flooding, so we can even make it to the wedding. And I don't want to even mention the worst that could happen. Let's just say a lot of planning has happened to make this day possible, and I would hate for that planning to be waisted.
3) Let's get honest, I get bored easily. Because we could very easily loose power, I have already decided the books I can read in the event of no power. Therefore no computer, TV, music, radio...you get the point.
Who knows, if it really looks like we may get hit pretty bad, we may make a convenient weekend trip up to College Station to stay with my little brother. I guess it would be a good excuse for me to see his apartment...I mean good night, I've never even seen it.
Even though we are about an hour from the coast, we are still expected to get some serious storms, so in all honesty and seriousness, we definitely appreciate your prayers. This goes for everyone in Galveston, up through to even the Dallas area where they are supposed to get some of it, too! To give you an idea, Dallas is about 5 hours north of Houston. THAT'S how big the storm is folks, yes, it's big. But praise the Lord, our God is bigger.
On a lighter note, bible study last night was absolutely amazing. I am so hoping to blog about it when I get time. All I know is that I told my mom when I got home that I don't think I'll ever get this experience again, to sit under such wise teachers to learn more about the bible and how to study it. I am truly eternally grateful. And do not take this opportunity for granted at all. My prayer for the whole semester is that the Lord would simply change me. And change me He will, if I'm willing to cooperate/obey, because He is in the business of changing lives. Amen!
Oh, and in the midst of all of this hurricane fiasco, I still plan on getting my hair trimmed tomorrow, and getting my passport ordered. I mean, a girls got to do, what a girls got to do.
7 comments:
OH girl - I am so scared of the wind too. I am not looking forward to the nastiness that might be headed our way.... :( I'll be sending prayers your way and please send them mine too! :)
Hey Linds,
Got your back in prayer, my Siesta. At this point I'm very glad I'm in the Midwest, even though we're in tornado alley!
Hang in there. May Ike pass gently through your parts!!
Much Love,
~Cheryl
We're getting ready for Ike too ... oh joy! I definitely understand what it's like for the store shelves to be almost empty -- it was the same way with Gustav about 2 weeks ago.
Hey Linds,
I am praying for you all!!! I know God will keep you safe but please get more than Triscuits. :) See, another reason why you should move to Nashville. :)
I can't wait to read your post about your class. I thought about you. I am so happy you can sit under Beth and Melissa and God is going to do a mighty work in you.
Be safe and I miss you and can't wait til you come up in November. Exactly what day is that? Gotta make plans.
Love Ya,
Patty
Prayers definitely going up for you as Ike nears. I'm not that fond of bad weather either. When Fay was here a few weeks ago we got lots and lots of rain and some wind, but it wasn't that bad. Grab a good book to read and make sure you have batteries for your flashlight!
~Sarah
I'm praying for you Linds. Its Friday morning and my heart is all on TX right now.
I can't wait to hear about Bible study...please share what you can.
Hugs,
Fran
Stay safe!!! My mama and daddy are in Dallas and apparently the stores up there are running out of supplies quickly - thankfully, they stocked up. My college roommate's family is staying in Baytown - not a good idea :( Many prayers for your family and everyone back home!!
Post a Comment