"Lindsee, take the ring off your left finger."
I was tickled because here recently, some people, who will remain anonymous, have been telling me that I will never meet a guy while I am wearing this ring on my left hand, on my ring finger.
They keep telling me that as long as I wear the ring, in their words, "A guy might be interested, see the ring, assume I'm taken, and move on."
One of my arguments is that I simply am not around that many single guys at one time. There is surely not a plethora of them hanging around Cypress, Texas. And if you remember my post, most of them can be found at HFBC, and I barely get there in enough time to attend church, let alone meet the man of my dreams. And really, y'all, who knows if he even lives in Houston?
Personally, I think God is bigger than a ring, and in my little mind, if whoever he is wants to know if I'm taken, he can get to know me a little better, and ask. Is that so wrong of me to think?
So, bloggy and non bloggy friends, what do you think?
To wear the ring, or not to wear the ring? Feel free to summon your husbands/boyfriends on this to get their opinion, too.
And just for the record, I am pretty partial to my rings...I keep them pretty consistent. So to change up my rings would be a biggie for me!
Have fun...can't wait to hear what you think!
P.S. As for that unknown text message?! It was from my pastor who is apparently very worried about my current status!
24 comments:
Dear Linds,
Hey girlie:)
What I have to say...Keep the ring on girl:) You know what it stands for in your heart, you are married to the Lord, UNTIL He says otherwise.
Don't let anyone sway you from what you believe right now in your heart.
Is the ring a purity ring? Is it to acknowledge that you will wait to be with someone until marriage...then by all means, keep it on sister!
I wish I had never taken mine off...
Here is a verse that suddenly pops in my mind for you:
" Guard your heart, for it is the well-spring of life."(Prov 4:23)
Regardless of situation status, whatev...Girl, I promise you God will bless you for it!
Love you!
ang
haha!!! No girl you keep that ring on your finger!!! B/c if you take it off then that means I'm in trouble too. :0) I read your posts and laugh because you and I are so alike in this area. People are sooo worried about our dating life that it cracks me up sometimes. Well the other times it can get annoying. I too have never had a boyfriend and 363 days of the year I am WAY TOO CONTENT about it. I have my true love waits ring on my finger and the only boys that wanted to know if I was married and why I was wearing this ring was the kindergarten kids during student teaching. hehe. But it's bad when the pastor gets involved. YIKES :0) You let me know how this one goes. I am SO INTERESTED in hearing what others have to say. Have a great day girl.
I'd take it off, because most godly men would not go any further than seeing that ring--not their fault or their slowness, just a symbol of marriage that they clued in on.
Move your ring to your middle finger or put it on a chain around your neck.
Love you!
Holly
PS Did you get my email yesterday? Did I send it to the right place.
I'm torn on this too! At first I would say put it on a different finger but after reading what you said and the other comments I'm not so confident in that...
You're right...God will do what he will do regardless of your jewelry placement. So really...I guess that's the answer!
Your blog is fun...I love reading your updates!
Lauren
I'm voting OFF. I mean that girl at my wedding was about to disqualify you from the bouquet toss because she didn't think you were single, missy!
;) love you no matter what
This is a tough one. I had a purity ring that I wore on THAT finger forever! I considered God as my husband until HE sent another. I don't know if that was what kept men away (something sure did!!!) or what, but eventually I moved it to my right hand and then got engaged in less than a year. Now, to be fair, hubby and I had been friends for a LONG time so he knew I was UNtaken, but still...
I say, just follow your heart on this one, if YOU are comfortable with it there, then, by all means, keep it there. However, just keep moving to another finger as an option.
And if you choose to move it to another finger far, far, away ... well there is a finger in Michigan that would love it!!!!! :) Just kiddin'!
Man this is a tough one! I would say move it. While God is certainly big enough to overcome the placement of your ring, I believe there are certain things you can do to "help" (does that make sense?). That's my 2 cents. It'll be interesting to read other peoples' comments and see what you decide to do!
ok..i think boys are mostly dumb and many would see the ring and immedietly think you are married. So, I would consider moving it. I mean, if someone wants to approach/talk to you and he was already nervous the ring could be a deterrant. Just my opinion :)
love you!
I say keep the ring on! :) I think I always had a JA ring on my left hand. The only time I removed it was when Chris and I were getting more serious.
I mean picture the romance. "Will you marry me... oh wait can you get that other ring off your finger please!!"
Girl I was about to say keep the ring on until I read that the text was from your pastor
hmm...
Ok here is the deal I wore a ring on my ring finger and I still ended up married
If a guy is really interested he will ask
And yes God is much Bigger than a ring after all God still allowed my hubby to ask me out 2 times after I told him no the first time - now that is a big hurdle to jump over!
love ya
Kim
My dearest Linds!!!
i am BELIEVING God with or without a RING on your LEFT finger!!!!!
You wear that pretty ruby :)
And not to be rude but, that PERFECT man for LKE will KNOW that LKE deserves DIAMONDS!!!!!!!!!!!
Love you sweetest girl EVER!!!! I am doing my hand motions " I AM BELIEVING GOD" :)
oh my gosh! I think you are SO right about God being bigger than a RING! You just keep that ring on!
I had a promise ring I wore all the time... When I met Derik... AND I wore it up until the day I got engaged. So, God IS bigger than a ring :)
Thanks for finding me! Maybe and hopefully I'll run into you at HFBC some day! That would be nice! :) And even though I don't know you, I say take the ring off and wear one on your right pointer finger instead. It's safe and thats wear the Hebrews used to wear their covenant rings! Thats where I wear mine! :) But God is bigger than a ring...just watch your signals, girl!
Scott and I both agree with Holly and think you should remove the ring.. any godly man would see the ring and turn away. (Not to say God isn't bigger than a ring!)
Linds,
You would never date a stranger, so the guy you will marry will be someone you will get to know first. He will know that ring is not an engagement ring (doesn't look like one anyway). You just be you and wear it anywhere you want! (Just not in your nose. :0)
Lindsee Lou,
I agree with the Preacher Man.
Keep wearing that lovely ring, just put it on a different finger.
I prayed for your future husband this morning. I can't wait till you get to meet God's choice for you. He is one lucky guy and he doesn't even know it yet.
I love you!
Cheryl
Keep your ring on Linds!! If a guy is interested he will ask. Personally, I don't think a "ring" on your finger has the same significance of your generation. People make less assumptions and ask more questions. Which is good!!! Basically, you need to do what is best for you. Prayerfully, give it some consideration. You'll know the answer.
~Cheryl
I can't make up my mind...and, I shouldn't have read the comments either before I comment.
So.....I'll go with my first instinct...
take the ring off.
Ok..I said it. :)
lindsee this is hilarious to me! i will never forget the entire dinner conversation we had with your parents about "the ring" Your dad is pretty worried, apparently he is discussing it with your pastor too!
When I first read this it was kinda funny. I relate so much. Then after reading the comments and re-reading the post I became so frustrated. Frustrated because I get this all of the time too. Now of course you have such a great spirit about you that you can set aside the annoyance and take it as it is. But my frustrations come because instead of someone seeing the ring and asking or instead of everyone who says take it off, where is the credit for why we have it? My parents do this all of the time as well as so many others. I get that i am so narrow minded. My father thinks there is something wrong with me mentally. He does this with my sister too and he was giving guys her number and of course they aren't even believers. Or if we are out together and he sees a nice looking guy or ANY guy at that he will go up to them and ask him if they want to marry me. In front of me. Can I say embarassing. honestly, when they do that and others as well do this, I feel like I have to defend my choice and makes me feel that I am not good enough. Not good enough to have a man approach me on his own because he is interested in me for all of the right reasons.
One time I was talking with a guy. And it was to the point that there needed to be a decision made if we were going to go on or stop seeing each other. So he comes to meet my family and hang out. It was a complete disaster! My parents sat me down and said, so is he the one? Have you guys kissed? I said No. That isn't why I get into a relationship. So then they began to lecture me about how kissing isn't sex. And that its okay to do those things if you like him. ARE YOU SERIOUS. 22 years old and I am being lectured on this. Then it was I am so narrowminded and I have cut 90% of the male population because I want to wait until I am married to do those things. THAT'S WHY I HAVE THE RING. :0)
Sorry, I am beyond the frustrated one. At first it was fine but this has been going on since I was in Highschool.
Lindsee! Girl, God has someone for you and someone for me. He will provide on his timing. Ring or no ring. That to me is saying that God isn't big enough if you have to move the ring. And why should it matter to anyone else? It is your decision. :0)
Hubs and I are torn... He said move the ring, but then again, he didn't remember its existence. [though he does remember the ring you wear on your other hand that he thinks looks like an African jug :)]
My thoughts were leave it on, God is bigger...but I also agree that it could deter a Godly guy...though if they knew you, they'd know what the ring meant.
And besides, who gets a garnet [albeit a pretty one] as an engagement ring especially someone as pretty as you!
love, CDL
Hi...I just found your blog through Missy's and even though I don't know you and don't know what the ring looks like, I'm going to give you my opinion :)
As long as the ring isn't a diamond engagement ring (and I'm assuming it's not...) I don't think it would deter anyone. It's not uncommon to see single women wearing "fashion" rings on their ring finger anymore...and I know your ring has more signifigance than that, but you know what I'm saying right?
PLUS...if you feel comfortable with it on, go for it...any guy worth getting to know will ask!!!!!
That's just my two cents :)
Lindsee. This is the final comment on this issue--the authorative, near-papal, ultimate conclusion: take the ring off. End of discussion--the reasons for this conclusion are intuitiatively obvious to even the most causal observer and I will not condescend to insult your intelligence by commenting on that which is blatantly obvious and pattently clear. Let us now all move on to the next issue. Humbly and in Christian love, Pastor (Uncle) Dave. (PS. Do not disobey your elders.) (PPS Much of the above spelling is approximate.)
Keep it on!! I wore a purity ring on my left hand until the day my husband proposed...and then I took it off and gave it to him. He still carries it on his keys. If he's the right kind of guy, he'll consider that it could be a purity ring (although I don't know what it looks like), mine was just a plain silver band. I often wondered the same thing as you though, will men think I'm married? But I always came back to, if he's the right kind of man, he'll know what a purity ring is and consider that it could be that...and he did. It was special for me to be able to give him the ring when he proposed...which was my plan all along!! good luck!
Post a Comment