Sunday, January 25, 2009

His Name

The past three weeks, Gregg Matte, from HFBC has been doing a series on "The Birds and the Bees." For the past two weeks my schedule has not allowed me to go. However, whenever I miss a Sunday night there, I try and listen to it online. Well, I did just that with the past two sermons, and then was able to go tonight. And y'all, it was so good. I mean, so good. And I am so glad I actually got to be there! As much as I love listening online, being there is all the better. However, even if you don't go to HFBC or live in Houston, seriously check this series out online. I pray if you do, that you will be equally encouraged and challenged.

Tonight he actually wrapped up the series and talked to each individual "group" that was represented. The parents, the marrieds, and the singles/students. I am all ears anyway, but when the "singles" time came, my ears perked up a bit more. Don't get me wrong, he had some awesome points for us that I will carry with me and challenge myself with, however, my favorite part was the story he told at the end.

He had this box with him that looked like a present. Immediately, I guessed what it was. And I was right. Sure enough, it was a box of letters he had written to his wife before he even met her.

He shared with us his story that when he was single, it seemed like all his friends were getting married and moving on, but he wasn't. The Lord wasn't blessing him in that way at that time, but he had the desire. {Insert my life story here. Not bitter. Or mad. Or angry. Or sad. Just my story that I am extremely thankful for.}

Of course, this resonated with my heart, because, see {insert} above, I have felt this way at times. At "at times" probably isn't the correct term, I still struggle with this.

Anyway, he then shared with us this box. Basically, whenever he would desire his wife, he would write her a letter telling her how much he loved her already, even though he didn't know her. He pulled out the first letter he ever wrote to his wife before they even met, and he shared part of it with us. He even put a question mark after the "Dear..." in the letter and on the outside of the envelope. First of all, I think this is by far the sweetest thing ever. Truly.

Secondly, my heart dropped to my toes. Because y'all, I have been doing the same thing. And for me, it really is a way to not only remember to pray for my future husband, but a way to let him know, once we're finally married, that I have waited for him. And prayed for him. And cared for him. And thought about him. And honestly, it's a good for me to re-focus my thoughts when I am caught up in my "single" status. Instead of the pity party, the tears, the lonely thoughts, this really is a "therapy" sort of thing.

Needless to say, after Gregg met Kelly, his wife, he started writing her name on the letters and then gave her all of them on their honeymoon.

This story alone was so encouraging to me in many ways. Sometimes, I've felt weird doing this. I know I'm not the only girl who does it, but still, you just never know what someone will think about it if they are on the receiving end.

Gregg said Kelly wept as she read them. I'm pretty confident I would do the same thing.

And then again, I'm reminded that my journey, my life, is for His Glory. As another Greg, at my church preached this morning. His Glory alone should be my passion whether or not my life turns out the way I want it to. Oh Lord, please!

I can't wait to write his name in the letters and on the envelopes. Can't wait.

But until then, I'll keep Mr. Question Mark in my prayers and of course, my letters. And I can't wait till the day I get to share his name with you. What a fun day that will be.

13 comments:

Lisa Smith said...

Lindsee--

You're totally cute ;) I found you by hopping around from some GNO attendee sites. Anyway, I'll pray for you, Mr. ? and your girls ministry. I'm pretty sure you'll bless his socks off with that box, too!

Taylor said...

lindsee!

i've been listening to Pastor Gregg online for some time now...so encouraging! i'm right there with ya on the letters, girl. keep on writing! :) and i took, cant wait to know his (both mine and yours) name. blessings to you this night and this week.

::taylor

Taylor said...

oops...and that was supposed to me "and i too,..."

Lindsey said...

I am so glad to clicked over from The Preacher's Wife!

What an encouragement your words were today. It seems we are at the same place with our singleness. I think for the most part I am embracing and enjoying, but I'm no perfect. Especially when my best friend is about to marry the man of her hopes, dreams and prayers.

Praying for both of our Mr. ? and looking forward to listening to the sermon series!

Jenny said...

I so thought about you during the sermon yesterday morning. I was hoping you would go last night. I got your message pretty late last night, sorry I didn't call back. We do need to chat though :) Love you. And I'm going to continue to pray for Mr. ? :)

xoxo

Holly said...

HOW. VERY. BEAUTIFUL! Mmm...I cried and the letters weren't even for me. What a beautiful thing to do!

I am praying right now that God will ready this man-heart for a beautiful, beautiful woman of God. May he be the kind, who will be so tendered by your love for him, that he would not hold in the tears either.

Love,
Holly

Jaclyn said...

i love this...sounds like it was just what you needed to hear and I LOVE that you have already been writing them. One day your husband will read every word and he will cherish them forever!!! The letters will be an incredible gift....

Missy said...

I love that you are doing that. I always wanted to do that but I just never kept up with it. Praying for you friend!!

Jackie said...

That is the coolest thing. What a precious gift to your future hubby. The love, prayers, thoughts...all poured out before God on behalf of the man of your dreams. The man HE has picked for you.
Sweet girl, keep giving it to Him. I SOOO want to join you one night at HFBC....it sounds incredible.

See you tomorrow! love you! :)

Toknowhim said...

You encourage me Lindsee :) I love your desire to keep Christ first, even when it is tough :)

Allie said...

I just listened to pastor Gregg - wow what a blessing! That series is so powerful and relevant. Thanks for sharing the link to your great church, I was blessed to hear this!

Fran said...

Lindsee...all i can is I love you and your heart is simply the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in a very long time. I'm so going to listen to your Pastor. I've been meaning to for a very long time.

Blessings over you!

ocean mommy said...

Oh Lindsee! Girl...Mr. ? is one blessed man. What a wife he is going to have.

I'm so proud of you!

Hugs
stephanie