Monday, April 20, 2009

My People

About a week ago on the All Access Lifeway Blog, Sophie (aka BooMama) blogged about the people that have deeply shaped and impacted her life. As I read that particular post, I couldn’t help but mentally make a list in my mind of the people that I absolutely love to pieces and adore that have in some way, shape or form made an impact on my life. I am truly blessed by the community of family and friends that the Lord has placed me in in all the different seasons of life and feel the undeniable need to brag on them to you. I don’t have a husband or children to do this to, so this is the next best thing. Without further ado, please indulge me while I brag on my amazing peeps.

First, there is my superb, precious family that I love to pieces. I may not always be the best daughter or sister or show them how much I love them, but I do. Of course I do! They’re my family. Despite my deafening scream at Brien after he finally would push my last patient button (and I’m a pretty patient person) when we were younger, I’m happy to announce that the three of us have a marvelous fun time together. To say that we entertain each other would be an understatement! We laugh a ton and thoroughly enjoy each other’s company. It’s so comical as we’ve grown up to see what characteristics we get from our parents, and quite frightening I might add! We are becoming them. Plus, my parents have put up with me for a year now after college. Bless them, I can only imagine how annoying I can be at times. And I can’t forget my extended family! They’re all in Colorado so we miss them in a heartfelt way, but every chance we get that we can be with them is that much sweeter. They are simply the best.


Next I have my three BFF’s Jennifer, Joanna and Sally. How could I not mention them? They are my heartbeat. Jennifer, Sally and I actually all grew up together, but the minute Joanna joined us that fateful Junior year in High School, she instantly “fit in!” We like to think that she,too was apart of our childhood. The truth is, besides my family, these three know me better than anybody else. They know my struggles, fears, what makes me laugh uncontrollably, what makes me tick, my favorite food and everything in between. They have the permission to set me straight when I need it and may not know. These are “my girls!” They are all married now, and I had the absolute privilege of standing by them during their weddings, but I utterly adore and approve of each of their husbands. Their husbands each have different godly characteristics that have set the stage, and the standard, for my future husband.

Unfortunately, two of them don’t live in Texas, which makes me miss them terribly and more than they know, but I love watching where the Lord leads them and what He does in each of their lives. It is inspiring to me! Since Jen is here (thankfully her husband moved her back to Texas, PTL!) we together wallow in our self-pity of missing them. And did I mention these are my Girl’s Weekend girls?! Oh yes, we’re going on year four. Get excited for Girl’s Weekend ‘09! I love them dearly. (Did I mention that their families are like mine? I have three sets of parents besides my own. Some might hate that, but I love it since I absolutely love them!) Needless to say, these girls are the sisters I never had.


Following we have Claire. Oh, my precious, tall friend, Claire. I am so very grateful for this girl and what she has meant to me over the years. We’ve known each other since 5th grade but got pretty close in High School and then even more so through college. She is most likely the sweetest, most caring, genuine person you will ever meet and would likely never hurt a fly. Her sweetness rubs off and is so contagious, which is exactly what I love about her. Soon we will be roommates and I can’t wait. Long story short, her husband is getting deployed, so I am moving in. It will be so good for the both of us and I can only imagine the fun times and laughs we’ll have. I love this girl like I love chocolate cake. Which is a good thing because homegirl bakes a mean anything.

When I went to college I was so nervous that I wouldn’t make any friends. Seriously, is that not everybody’s fear? Fortunately, I became apart of a Christian sorority, Sigma Phi Lambda, and immediately clicked with a lot of the girls. It was a blessing to say the least. However, the biggest blessing was the girls whose heartbeat was the same as mine, the girls that were in the same stage as me and we found that we struggled together with the Lord in the same manner. That’s where Jennifer, Hannah, Raven and Megan all come in. Oh, sweet mercy I love these girls.

Hannah and Raven are my “single girls” and to say that they understand the stage of life I’m in is a complete understatement. They’re living it, too! These girls promote godliness to me like no other, and continually help me press on in the journey that is sometimes so discouraging and confusing. Who knew boys could be confusing?! I sincerely miss living in the same city as them, but when we talk or see each other we don’t miss a beat. I am so proud of them and where the Lord has taken them after college. I am excited to see what man the Lord has picked out for all of us. And I know without a shadow of a doubt these girls are going to marry some astounding men.



Jen and I clicked instantly. She has been such a phenomenal friend to me, and she is the girl that says what everyone else is thinking but in a mighty fine way. Not only that, but my sweet friend is also my wedding buddy. We supported each other as we were both Maids of Honors and bridesmaids in various weddings at the same time. We just “get” each other and she keeps up with me much better than I keep up with her. Comparatively, she is a far better friend that me. I was honored to stand in her wedding last December and miss her terribly, too, as she and her sweet hubby live in Ft. Worth!

Megan and I were roommates and she was also my pledge trainer when I pledged Phi Lamb! Who knew? I was also honored to stand in her wedding last June. It’s almost been a year! She has challenged me in my walk with the Lord and who I am as a person. Thankfully, she still lives in Houston with her husband and is a wonderful Jr. High teacher. Bless her! She loves it. We actually enjoyed a nice birthday dinner at Newk’s the other night and had a wonderful time catching up and just discussing life! I can’t wait to see her classroom! Needless to say, the Lord was faithful in bringing me the best girlfriends that I could do college with and am privileged to still do life with.

If I dare leave out Dana or Lauri I think my little rear would be whipped. Totally kidding, but in all seriousness, I like to refer to these ladies as my “old friends” in the most gentle, respectful way. And by “old” please don’t hear “boring!” These ladies are far from that and are an absolute blast and ones that I greatly respect and so enjoy watching them do life. They are bit farther ahead, so I love learning from their wisdom. If Lauri happens to be in town (do you notice an “out of town” theme in my life?) you can catch us eating Mexican food or laughing at Ihop at an ungodly hour. I wish you could all hear Lauri’s laugh right now because it is the most contagious thing next to a stomach virus, but 15 times better. Lauri is 99.9% of the reason I took the job I did. Huge impact? I’d say so.

Even though Dana and I live in the same city and see each other fairly often, we still manage to spend hours upon hours at Olive Garden and have a weekly Thursday afternoon date while her children take piano lessons from my Mom. It’s glorious! I’m pretty much out of sorts if I miss the set date. However, what I love about Dana is that I can stop by and hang out at her house whenever I want, and you bet your bottom dollar I do just that. Her family is a blast! I always like to reminisce about the time we met, and before I even met her face to face, I judged her by the church directory photo of her family. True story! I just knew she was going to be a strict mom who wouldn’t let us have any fun. I was so wrong! I just love these ladies too, too much. And seriously, what a blessing to have older, wiser friends!

To put into words what each of these people have meant to me, along with countless others, is almost impossible. And I mean that in the most earnest way! What I said about each of them doesn’t even come close to who they are in real life. But, each and everyone of them have played such a significant and impactful role in my life and my relationship with the Lord and I am eternally grateful. I don’t take any of these folks for granted because I know that sweet, encouraging, loyal, real friends are hard to come by and I am so blessed that each of them are in my life. I would love for you to review who the Lord has blessed you with and hear about it. The Lord has been so faithful in bringing these friendships into my life and I know He will continue to be faithful. They all make me want to be brave. I am blessed. Period.

9 comments:

Missy said...

Such a sweet post!

Jenny said...

I love you for doing this! So sweet :)

And I love what you said about Lauri's laugh. I miss it so much.... my abs hurt just thinking about how much we used to laugh!

I love you my girl!

Jon and Sally said...

I just love this post! And I love YOU! Such a gift you are and can we say, an incredibly accurate and articulate writer? I couldn't have described these people better myself! I love it!

I'm with Jen on Lauri's laugh!! ...More contagious than a stomach virus!! ;0)

Love you girl! And for the record, I never commented about just how GRATEFUL I was for time with you/ time being served by you together on our way to KY. You are truly a gift and I couldn't have done it without you! I wish 50% more of our convos could have been deeper-- but ya know- kiddos tend to lend toward distraction rather than deep convos! We love those tiny tots though!

And Jude misses you TONS!!! The first time I heard him say, "Honkey Donkey!!" I laughed my heart out!! Thank you for passing that onto him. You did truly have a lasting effect!

We love you and miss you!!
Sally

Toknowhim said...

You have been extremely blessed in the friendship category :) I bet all your friends have wonderful things to say about you too :)

Megan said...

Lindsee, thank you for this post- it meant so much to me and I know it did for the others. Your words encouaged me. Thank you for your words of affirmation. I want you to know how much I value our friendship. It was really great seeing you last week- you've really grown a lot. Thank for including me in this post and more importantly, in your life. Love you more than you know!!!

Kelli said...

I love that you gave such a sweet shout out to your peeps. What an important role they have played and are playing in your life! They are so blessed to have such a wonderful Godly woman like yourself in their lives!!

Raven said...

oh my precious linds... you are soo sweet! thank you for the encouraging words.. i love being one of your single girls any day! as CONFUSING as our journey is (amen sister.. haha!), i couldn't think of anyone better to be on it with.. you are such an amazing friend! love you so much and of course miss you TONS!

Claire said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU! You are soo sweet and we are all so stinking BLESSED to have you as a friend!

Dana said...

I know this is 8 months later, but this post was just brought to my attention! I am so floored/honored to be a part of "the list" and you my friend, are on my list as well. The good one. I know I shared this with you, but wanted to repeat it ~ "Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves." Romans 12:10 I love you Linds and am so thankful you are a part of my life.

Love,
Your older, wiser friend!:0)