Wednesday, December 9, 2009

To Catch a Bouquet

Yesterday I had to go to my parent’s house to get a few things and in the midst of my searching; I came across a TON of old pictures. I’ve always, always been a picture taking fanatic and just last night I was reminded how many pictures I used to take. In fact, they used to be ALL over my room. It’s funny how now I can’t seem to put up one picture in my new room. Anyway, they are treasures, all of which I’ve now scanned in and am planning on sharing with you, however, first I just have to share this one picture with you. The story behind it is too funny not to share on its own.


This picture was taken while at Jen’s sister’s wedding reception back in February of 2003.

Let me give you a little background.

I was the girl that had never dated a guy, and quite frankly, wasn’t that bold or loud around guys. I would say I was shyer around them than anything.

Shannon’s new nephew, Justin, at that time was a student at West Point. A very nice young man and quite the gentleman. From what I’d heard of him, he wasn’t the most outgoing guy either.

I had just met him when Jen and I traveled up to New York with our dads, so he wasn’t a complete stranger, but we weren’t BFF by any stretch of the imagination.

So, imagine our surprise when I caught the bouquet and he caught the garter.

The most that ever happens after such an occasion is you take your picture with the newlyweds, right? Wrong.

Right after we caught said wedding items, the DJ called the two of us back onto the dance floor and had me sit down in the chair. Immediately I thought he was going to have everyone lift me up in the chair during a dance or something and I about wet myself, however, that was not the case.

The goal now was he had to put the garter back on me.

I’m not sure either of us have ever been more embarrassed or humiliated. At that moment I was wishing the bouquet would have never come my way.

In the picture you can tell that Justin had just slipped the garter on my ankle. He was done after that, and frankly, so was I. The DJ, however, had more in mind.

And by more in mind, I mean more leg in mind.

All I remember past that moment is that this poor boy had to keep putting that garter up on my leg until the DJ stopped him. Bless his heart! And mine.

I sat there completely stunned and red until it was all over. My dad, being the funny man that he is, came and stood behind the chair the whole time. It was hilarious!

Needless to say, the garter went up, and up, and up until the DJ was satisfied. He went a little above my knee and right after all was said and done, Justin was super nice, kissed me on the cheek, gave me a hug and whispered, “I’m so sorry!” in my ear.

The best thing about this picture is everybody in the background either egging on the DJ, or waiving their hands to stop the DJ.

The set-up could not have been more perfect.

Here me now loud and clear, never again, since that wedding, have I ever seen a DJ make the two lucky winners do that. Never.

But here also this, that one moment in life didn’t stop me from catching the bouquet again. Oh no it didn’t. I’ve been known to catch one or ten since then.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I don't think I've ever screamed so loud in my entire life. IT WAS CLASSIC. We were freaking out... and poor Justin was so embarassed too.

Gold. Pure gold.

Kelli said...

That is golden...... :) LOVE IT!

connorcolesmom said...

FUNNY!!!
I would have been so embarrassed too!!!
You are precious!
Much love
Kim

SELBY said...

you have another chance in a couple of weeks!