Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Strength for the Day

If I know about any subject in life particularly well, I know about singleness.

I’ve lived it.

I’m currently living it.

I could possibly, maybe, scared out of my mind write a book on it.

It’s something I simply know how to do.

They say you learn most by doing something, and well, I’m doing it for goodness sake.

To be completely vulnerable here, since I know how to manage singleness so well and how to maneuver my way through it, the thought of a relationship with a male completely freaks me out.

Funny and ironic, I’d say. That the one thing I desire most is quite possibly also the one thing I fear the most.

I’m thinking a class on dating and maneuvering through relationships would come in particularly handy, but the movie Hitch will have to suffice. It’s totally legit.

I’m completely preparing myself for one awkward situation after another when I start dating, but that’s neither here nor there.

I think the number one question I get quite often is, “How do you do it?”

I often wonder why that’s the question of choice, because, do what? I have no other option but to live life as a current single girl in this season, so what else would I do? Depend on my imaginary husband? And to be completely honest, as tough as singleness can be, it's not the worst of situations in life that will arise.

The truth is yes, there are some hard days. Some lonely days. Some frustrating days. Some confusing days. There were the days I gleefully married off all my BFF’s. But they’re just that. Days. Not weeks, months, or years. But days.

Isn’t it the same if you were a wife or mother? What if someone asked you how you did it? The answer is, day by day you do it. It’s the season of life the Lord has you in and you have no other option but to embrace it. And love it.

The last thing I want people to think is that my all consuming thoughts are of marriage and this never-ending season of singleness. Let’s face it, the girls that are most miserable in their single years, are often the girls most miserable when they’re married. If I can help it, I’d rather not be that girl.

Singleness is certainly my most current trial, and it is definitely trying. But this too shall pass.

So how do I do it? I embrace it. I learn from it. I grow in it. I enjoy it. I serve in it. I wait in it. And I hope in it.

I change in it. Oh, how sad it would be to move on from this season into the next one as the same girl, leaving my sanctification to the birds.

What I find completely humorous is that when I think I have this whole singleness and waiting thing figured out, He goes and messes with me. For that, I’m thankful. Like I’ve said, I don’t want to be complacent in this season acting as though it has no purpose. It has a huge purpose, oh yes ma’am it does.

His Glory and my sanctification are both at stake.

The other day when I was driving up I-45 it was no surprise to me that he went and messed with my mind. Some might call it a revelation of sorts.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve been praying that the Lord would give me patience in this season of waiting. Waiting is no small feat. However, I had a good laugh over that prayer the other day because hello, patience waits! I am waiting! I am being patient! The longer I pray for patience, the longer He may make me wait.

The truth is, I’m a naturally pretty patient person. To me, patience, although a fruit of the Spirit, comes more naturally to me more than other.

You know what I need more than patience?

Strength.

I wish y’all knew how extremely thankful I am that I don’t know the outcome of my life, or better yet, the timetable.

Every now and then I get anxious at the thought that I’ll be 25 this June and will still be flying solo. I get anxious because it feels like the time is just ticking away. When most of my friends seem to be moving on, and not just in dating and marriage, but having kids, I can get myself pretty worked up.

Wasn’t life supposed to be like that? You all get married at the same time? Raise your kids together? Go on vacations together?

You see why I can get anxious? In a sense, I feel like I’m being left behind.

Hence the needing of His strength.

If I knew that the Lord has it planned that I won’t get married until I’m 28, or 34, or 40 or gasp! Never (although I don’t think that is His plan) I’m not sure I could be so patient. I’d be an anxious ball of mess. And not a pretty one.

But the fact is, I don’t know the timetable. Maybe I’ll meet my man tomorrow; maybe I’ll meet him in 10 years.

Whatever the case, I need strength for the day. Maybe for a particular day it will be strength for that second, minute or hour and I know He is faithful and He will provide it.

With His strength I can get through a day. And you know what? That excites me? Even if I get married 10 years from today, I know that His strength will be enough for each and every one of those days.

I may be the last on this bandwagon, but I pray that is encouragement to somebody. That those that are in a season of waiting, whatever it is you’re waiting for, know that God will give you strength for the day.

So how do I do it? With His strength. Not my own.

Feel blessed that He would count you worthy enough to endure this trial for His Glory. I know I do.

“But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, they run and don't get tired, they walk and don't lag behind.” Isaiah 40:31

18 comments:

Missy said...

Girl...I so wish you knew me when I was in that season. You provide so many vivid flashbacks for me! You are so right...you do it day by day by day and one day will certainly become "that" day.

Stay strong.

Lindsay said...

I feel like you've put into words exactly how I feel. Being single while ALL your friends are married and/or with significant other is TOUGH. You're right though-it is with His strength and not my own!

Anonymous said...

Lindsee, I'm so glad you posted this. This is what I've been learning the past couple months. My motto of sorts has been "faith for today." If He can give me faith to get me through this day, He can give me faith to get through tomorrow, but only when tomorrow actually comes. I think it works with strength, too; if He can give us strength to get through the waiting of today, He can give us strength to get through the waiting of tomorrow, but only when tomorrow comes and if we still need that strength. As a nineteen-year-old girl who's never had a boyfriend, I know that being single is all right some days, hard other days, and downright frustrating on others, but that it doesn't consume your thoughts. I hope you keep writing about what Jesus teaches you as you're on this journey of waiting, because it's definitely an encouragement. :]

Annie

Vivian said...

Beth Moore did a bible study the other day about David and at some point she talked about how sometimes in seasons of our lives, we can miss the mark or the goal of that season. I believe that if God has made you wait this long, its so that you be completely prepared for that man that is coming and you are going to be such an amazing gift to him. So don't miss the mark, enjoy this season of your life where you can commit yourself whole heartly to the things of our Lord. Your day will come.

Nicole said...

Oh girl. Singleness... Hard! I'm 27 with all my friends having babies. Sometimes I think "It'll never be me." Other days I dont want anything to do with a man and other I want one so bad.

But let me tell you- a broken heart from bad relationships is NO FUN. Good for you for not getting into that mess ever. Im learning not to date any ol' guy just because- it's so not worth it. Baggage to deal with later. UGH. Hang in there girl, we'll get off this bandwagon some day!

SELBY said...

I completely understand by needing strength for each day. Sometimes I feel as if I am getting left behind, being here in Houston at a Community College when most of my friends are off at big universities. I know the need to rely on God's strength and more power to you girl for learning to rely on him.

Taylor said...

Walking the road with you, Sister. Thank you for the boost of courage!

::Taylor

Samantha said...

Wow. That is SO inspiring! I'm definitely going to be printing this off and sharing it with my youth group girls.

This part was my favorite:

the girls that are most miserable in their single years, are often the girls most miserable when they’re married

Amen sister! So true!

It's so refreshing to see a single girl getting as much as she can out of it before God brings along her husband in His time.

Keep in mind that marriage is yet another season, and that there will be good days and bad days. You'll be just as dependent on the Lord to get you through it as you are now.

You are single and FABULOUS! Don't ever forget the fabulous part!

Danielle said...

holy cow! this was an AWESOME post! i am currently single too and it IS hard! i have learned so much through this time though, and i wouldn't change it for the world. it's tough to even write that, but it's true. we have to learn to be content during this time because that is what God calls us to. he is our sustainer, no one will ever truly sustain us completely! thanks so much for sharing this! so encouraging and just the right time!

mary beth said...

I found your blog through KellysKorner. It is so encouraging! I like you haven't ever dated, I am 21. Thank you for being a great role model and sharing your heart. It is a blessing!

Raven said...

oh our wonderful 25th birthdays. even if we may not be where we thought in our lives, i will say that i'm glad we'll both be with each other on that important day! i'm so thankful to have you as such an encouraging friend through this season of waiting... love you wonderful friend!

aimymichelle said...

i know that season and it is totally rough but once you get into the mindset that you are totally fine with Him and no one else amazing things happen i kid you not. right now its like this i had my best friend who is a guy and before we thought each other was gross in that way and then months and months went by and suddenly something changed and it was only with God cause i tried to fight that and in the end i lost. its just amazing what God can do.

Jen-Jen said...

i love you. oh and i think you should consider writing this book on being single- your posts are so inspiring, encouraging and show your strength in Him in a way that is so rare. i know this season has got to be a difficult joy and when your day comes to say goodbye to this season it is going to be amazing and right on time :) love you, love you, love you!

Dana said...

Linds,
I am so proud of you and I love watching you grow, learn and flourish during this time. You really get it girl!
Love you!

Kelli said...

This post spoke to me on such a deep level. Praying for strength in waiting. You are so strong through Him. I am so proud of you and so inspired by YOUR strength!

Brittany said...

you definitely are not alone! great post!

I wonder if there are any single guys with blogs? haha! totatlly kidding....kind of ;)

Love the part about not wanting to leave this season of your life the same person as you were when you entered it. That's so good!

Brittany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nina said...

Hey Lindsee! This is my first time posting on your blog and I realize I am a little behind on recent posts but I just had to tell you that this was great. I've been single for awhile and recently started a relationship. I feel like I finally had the single thing "figured out" and now I am being stretched in new ways. It's hard sometimes and then I feel badly for thinking that because this is what I wanted...Right? The fact is, we are always being stretched and sanctified as we walk with God no matter what the season and that's why I loved this post!