Thursday, February 10, 2011

iPhone Dump: They've Stolen my Heart

If you've read my blog for ANY length of time, I think it's safe to assume that you know I work in ministry with middle school and high school girls. Can I just say that it is a blessing? More often than not I wonder how in the world I landed this position, or why in the world God would ever choose me to minister to these precious girls, but them I'm reminded of His plan for my life and ultimately, His glory. Truth be told, I really see how He prepared me for it, but that's another story for another day. I'm constantly humbled and thankful at His leadership and guidance in my life.

With that said, he's placed some mighty fine girls in my life that I get the pleasure of serving and loving on. They have truly stolen my heart. I find myself during the day thinking about them all the time wondering what they're up to. I consider them the teenage girls I don't yet have.

If you've ever wondered how a girls minister spends her time, look no further than my iPhone.

I present to you now, iPhone Dump number three. These girls have stolen my heart.

Meet Sara. Oh, sweet Sara! To know her is to love her! I met Sara through her sweet mom, Nancy, and have been smitten ever since. The worst thing about working with girls this age, is eventually, they end up moving out and heading to college. It's so bittersweet, because as sad as I am to see them go, I'm thrilled to hear what life in college is like for them. That's why I treasure my lunch dates with this girl. This particular day we had just indulged in Lupe Tortilla while she told me all about the Passion conference. Loved it!


These are two college girls, Myriam and Kendra. They're a hilarious BFF pair if you've ever met one. Over Christmas break we were all visiting at a friends house when Kendra, very kindly, made me the greatest peanut butter and jelly sandwich ever. ; ) It was overflowing with PB&J goodness.


Girl, girls and more girls! Headed to Belize! Look how nice we look. I can assure you I did not look this coiffed upon return. Michaela and Dana are the two other leaders in this picture. If it weren't for them, I'm not sure I'd of made it out of Belize alive.


Oh, Mary! Do y'all know how much I love her? I'm pretty sure this picture was taken during Belize training when she was playing with her handkerchief. I was laughing so hard. She's so silly.


If y'all knew how many times it took Mary and I to get this picture right at an Astros game, you'd think we were crazy. Oh wait, we are crazy! I love her so much! Some consider her my protege'. I am so proud of her.


3D movie, anyone? Anybody else hate them as much as me? The 3D movies, not the girls. These girls, who were eighth graders at the time, are now freshman and in my small group. That day was easy for them. All they had to do was watch Toy Story 3 with me. Now they have to answer my hard questions. Bless their hearts. They have no idea what they've gotten themselves into. ; )


Dear Beach Week, you delight me. Especially our crazy Walmart trips. What I love about working with students is I never have to act my age. Hence the trying on sunglasses in Walmart.


Argh! Oh, this picture makes me happy. These are "my girls." My girls that are no longer mine. Again, this is from one of our Florida shopping days. Every girl needs a picture with a pirate.


We used to meet for small group every Sunday evening at my house. It was perfection! The very last Sunday we met, the ice cream man happened to drive by. What better way to celebrate than to run after the poor man for some ice cream. It was hilarious and fun!


I took the girls to San Antonio one weekend just for fun. We had a blast! The best part was when waiting to be seated for dinner, a guy asked to be in our picture. He then proceeded to tell us he was an Academy model. Believe me when I say I was in full on protection mode during this trip, but he made me laugh. Good times!


This was a year ago! I can't believe it. It was their very last retreat. We stay in host homes, and this particular night, we were enjoying chocolate fondue. On the coldest weekend of the year. Which is why I stole Loribeth's knit hat. This year I'll be leading freshman! AH! Seniors to freshman! You wouldn't waste a prayer. : )


So, whose stolen your heart? Because they've certainly stolen mine.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

You always look like you are having so much fun! I bet your girls love you and all the time that you invest in them!

Lindsey said...

I totally know what you mean. I wouldn't trade me high school girls for anything!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOU!!! You are so sweet!! Let's have another meal soon, maybe you'll come up to the big D!?