Monday, February 7, 2011

A Weekend Letter

Dear Weekend,

You sure made a dramatic entrance, didn't you?

I'm not sure if it's because I live in Houston or not, but the weather here is always consistently inconsistent and that was the case last week. Last Monday was beautiful and sunny, but by the end of the week they were predicting 3 - 5 inches of snow. Really? In Houston? I love me some snow, but I was happy to believe it when I saw it.

Since I do live in Houston, and no one knows how to deal with that white fluffy stuff, we shut the city down sometime around Thursday evening.

Although I was sceptical, I had hope. Hope of snow. Especially since each of the weathermen were annoyingly hyped up about it. I also was very excited about not having to work on Friday. I mean really, who can complain about that?

However, knowing I'd most likely be stuck inside all day, after work I took myself to Hobby Lobby. If I was going to be stuck inside, at least I'd be stuck inside crafting (you know my ultra crafty side was wanting to come out) and watching movies, hence the trip to Blockbuster after Hobby Lobby. I was set! Set for days! The only place I didn't go Thursday night was the grocery story. Fail. Thankfully, I only have one person to take care of, so food really wasn't an issue. I had plenty.

I nestled in Thursday evening, put on my snuggie, made a cup of hot tea, and waited patiently for the snow. The snow that never came. I won't even tell you how late I stayed up for fear of judgement and lack of stewarding my time well.

I woke up Friday morning to a lot of ice, but no snow. My hope for snow had truly been deferred and my heart was so sick. My attitude quickly turned around, though, after I realized I had pumpkin muffins in my pantry just waiting someone to bake them. The aroma of pumpkin filled my apartment and my heart swelled. I can't forget to say that I even added a little surprise to my muffins, chocolate chips. Chocolate will heal any broken heart.

Since the ice wasn't quickly melting, I pretty much stayed inside all day piddling around. Then that evening, I met Callie, Missy and their cute families at Husky's for some juicy burgers. I was thrilled to see people and be out! I was also excited to get my baby fix. It was so great!

You know another fun thing that happened this weekend? The Super Bowl! Since that name is trademarked, I should just call it the big game, but I don't think anybody really cares.

Super Bowl to me, in all honestly, being the sanguine that I am, is all about the people, socializing and food than it is about the football. I could care less about professional football, but that's just me. College football tends to hold my attention longer. Not to mention that I love party hopping. Is that weird? Needless to say, my love tank of spending time with people I love was so full by the end of the night I could of burst.

An added bonus to the night was the Packers victory. Like I said, I could have cared less about who won, but my friend Ben is from Wisconsin, from a city just miles away from Green Bay, so I was happy to have a happy friend.

We ended the night by roasting s'mores, which is always a fun time! I burnt more marshmallows than I actually ate, but to me, the roasting is more fun than the eating.

Oh, and that craft? It never happened. Craft fail. But I'm not giving up! It will be done!

Weekend, you should know that you were very good to me.

Ben and I doing our victory dance over the Packers win!

Fire Pit!

Roast away!


It was the perfect weather out. Not too cold and not too hot. Funny, since we'd just experienced the big Winter Storm of 2011.

I love nothing more than a flaming marshmallow.

Girls roasting! (Anybody else think of The Office when they say the word "roasted"?) : )

See how black my mallow was? Rest assured, I did not eat that. And check out Bethany's face! Hilarious! She doesn't like flaming mallows.

Fun times!

Ben and Bethany! Also known as Benethany. You're welcome.

I'm not quite sure what the smoke was doing to our faces in this picture. But I love it!


Until next weekend,

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Love that cute outfit you have on! :)

Jackie said...

Love your red toms- you're adorable. And I wish I had a fire pit to roast smores in. YUMMY! Sigh-my fireplace has some wierd glass wall thingy that I don't know how to remove-smore fail! love you! :)

Jon and Sally said...

hello skinny!
you look beautiful in these pictures. :)
and you're the only person I know who looks good in stripes.
and that's all I have to say.
je t'aime.
sally