Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Do You Think I'm Beautiful?

During my girls retreat in November, I had a panel of four guys come and answer any and every question the girls asked. The girls’ ages ranged from 6th grade to seniors in high school, so needless to say, we had a wide variety of questions to answer. I can tell you it was easily one of their favorite parts of the retreat because anything including boys is always a winner. There were close to 80 girls at the retreat, so you can imagine the number of questions that flooded that bag. In fact, there were a little over 150 questions. I would know since I read, and saved, each and every one of them. If I’m ever at a loss for what the girls might be the least bit interested in learning about, I direct myself to that bag of questions. It’s very helpful! We probably only got through about 20 of them, but it was helpful nonetheless and so awesome for our girls to hear such wisdom from some great, godly guys, married, dating and single.

Anyway, I was looking through them recently because we have girls Bible study coming up and I realized a common theme intertwined through each of the questions.

Questions like…

When you got married and your wife was walking down the aisle, was the truly the most beautiful woman you’d ever seen?

Do you think all girls are pretty?

What is the first thing you notice about a girl’s physical appearance?

Do you tell a girl she’s beautiful because you mean it, or because it makes her feel good?

Would you only date a pretty girl?

Do y’all see what I see?

All girls, no matter age, status, religion, tomboy or not, every single girl wants to know she’s beautiful.

And not just beautiful to her parents, or friends, she wants to know she’s beautiful to a boy. She wants to make someones jaw absolutely drop. She wants someone to stand in awe of her.

I know this may seem obvious to some of you, and I certainly don’t find it surprising one bit, especially in the culture that we live in. Girls are dying to be loved, adored and considered beautiful. Just look at the clothes they're wearing, or lack thereof.

Some girls need it more than others because of a lack of a father figure in her life.

Some girls need it more than others because of the lack of security they have.

Some girls need it more than others because of the lack of respect they’ve given themselves and in return, gotten from other people.

But rest assured every girl needs to know she’s beautiful to someone.

And more importantly, every girl needs to know how adored, beautiful and loved she is by the One who created her. No one could love her more than Jesus Christ. Absolutely no one. Oh, if only our girls could hang on to that truth for dear life. Maybe Teen Mom wouldn’t such a hit.

It’s February, also known as the month of love, my challenge to you is to find a girl and treat her like she’s beautiful and loved. Maybe it’s your daughter. Maybe it’s a friend. Maybe it’s a girl you're mentoring. Maybe it's a group of girls. You just never know what your word might mean to them. It could save them a world of heartache down the road.

Let’s get in on Operation Beautiful.

Like I said, every girl needs to know she’s beautiful to someone.

I know, because I’m that girl, too.

"For your royal husband delights in your beauty; honor him, for he is your Lord." Psalm 45:11

9 comments:

The Johnsons said...

Growing up I didn't have a youth minister. If I could pick one out for my Liz, I'd measure her up to you. You're more than beautiful- you're delighted in.

debra parker said...

Girl! I am taking you up on that offer. Yes ma'am, friend.

Love you.

brittney said...

AMEN! Lindsey you are amazing :) Thanks for such a great challenge!

Lauren said...

What a challenge!! I think every girl needs to read this post!!!

Kati said...

Awesome post! Thank you for the beautiful challenge!

Lindsey said...

Thanks for the challenge! I'm making a list of my girls right now! If you have any good ideas along the way, let me know. :)

Missy said...

LOVE this! Since I am a words of affirmation girl myself, I love love love to do fun things for others to encourage them. Can't wait to get creative!

Sharon said...

Hi Lindsey,

This will be the first time that I have posted on your blog. absolutely loved this post. Thank you so much for sharing your heart. I LOVE your challenge!

Love,
Sharon

Laura A said...

Great idea, Lindsee! I planned on buying our Super Girl a little Valentine gift, but after reading your post, think I need to put a little more thought into it. It should express the beauty, pride and wonder we see in her every day.