Monday, August 29, 2011

A New Journey: A New Church

*I wrote this Sunday evening but am just now posting it.

Leaving a place you dearly love is never easy, but sometimes necessary. If I strongly disliked my church of 26 years, then I wouldn’t have had tears streaming down my face today, but that’s not the case. Quite the opposite, actually, I love Cypress Bible Church. Not everyone can say they’ve grown up in the same church, known the same people and had lifelong relationships that won’t soon go away. It is a blessing I realized when I left for college, and now an even bigger blessing as I look back and ponder the ways that church has poured into me for an entire lifetime. The investment they’ve made in me has not gone unnoticed or unappreciated by me for one second. No, leaving is not easy. But Jesus is better and He is worth following. He is worth the tears on my cheeks and the lump in my throat.

God is so into details and has not left me to wander for one second. To say He’s been faithful the past four months is a huge understatement. Yes, He’s always faithful, no doubt, but I’ve seen Him move more mightily in these few months than I’ve ever seen Him move in my life. It has been very sweet.

As I was praying through this transition, I really wrestled with my decision to actually leave this church body for another in this new season. I felt that the Lord was calling me to go, but as I’ve said time and time again, leaving for good is so much easier said than done.

What most people don't know is that in March I had a few significant conversations that still stand out to me. Looking back, I see now how the Lord was preparing me to leave this church body. When Curtis and Amanda had the initial core team meeting to share their vision of planting Bayou City Fellowship with their close friends and family, they asked if I would be willing to watch their kids and few others that night. Of course, I willingly said yes and was happy to help them in any way that I could as they stepped out on a limb to build something from the ground up. It was huge and I knew that. At the time, I was on staff at a church, so I knew my part in their faith journey would be to support them through love and prayer. I was happy to do just that and be a part in that small way.

A few days after their meeting, Curtis and I exchanged a couple of emails in which I told him I was undoubtedly praying for them, excited for them and that if the Lord allowed, maybe one day I'd get to be a part of their church.

Around that same time was when I began struggling and really wrestling with what was next for me. I remember eating frozen yogurt one night with my parents and we were chatting about all manner of things when my dad simply said to me, Lindsee, you know you can leave Cypress. No one expects you to be there forever. He may not remember that, but for whatever reason that really hit home with me. No one had ever said that to me before and in my mind, I was going to be there for the rest of my life. I left that night with a new perspective. If the Lord called me elsewhere, I had the blessing to go, at least from my parents.

Soon after I was offered the job at LPM, I was talking to Amanda and she so graciously offered that if I wanted, I was welcome to attend Bayou City Fellowship, but that there was absolutely no pressure. I told her I’d been praying about it, but that was one of the two churches I’d been praying about. I really don’t want to hop right into a church just because I love the people there, but because I know that’s where God wants me. However, now that I think about it, why would I not attend a church where I know I already love the people and the vision there? Sounds silly if you ask me.

This is where being single becomes such a blessing; all I have to worry about is me. I realize now that finding a home church for you and your family is so tough. For that, I am so thankful. And for all of you big families searching for a new church, I have much respect for you.

A few weeks later Amanda invited me to attend their core team meeting. It happened to be on my last official day of work, which was really good for my heart, and maybe a good distraction as well. After telling Amanda that their church was the “first” one I was going to visit anyway and that I'd be so happy and honored to come, she and Curtis both joked that it would be the “first and last” and to please bring my membership papers. Ha!

Although a bit intimidating at first, it was a wonderful fit. What you need to know is that it wasn't intimidating because the people weren't inviting or accepting, quite the opposite, actually, but because you have to remember that I come from a very comfortable church. One I've been at for 26 years. I can immediately walk in the doors at CBC and say hi to at least ten people.

I hesitated being all in at first for fear that I was making a irrational quick decision out of my emotional state, but I decided to go back this week, making that two consecutive weeks, and as I explained to everyone during a time of sharing, I think I'm in. There is no un-biblical reason not to be. No good reason to say no. And I don't hear the Lord telling me to wait. I hear Him say go! Why wait? Why hesitate?

So, as I said goodbye to my church of 26 years today, with a very bittersweet heart, I say hello to a new church. A new season. For now, I am honored to attend and serve at Bayou City Fellowship. No church will ever replace Cypress Bible Church and what it’s meant to me over the years, but I pray for sweet relationships and a desire to serve and love Houston like I’ve never had before. I pray with great anticipation and expectation that God will blow up in this city, not because we have awesome skills or hearts, because without Jesus we’re all ugly, but because Jesus loves Houston and our hearts are willing and open.

I'm very new to this church, so I can't give you a lot of details. But what you need to know is that BCF will open the doors to the public on September 11th at Houston Christian High School at 10:00 a.m. It would be our greatest pleasure for you to come and join us as we celebrate and get involved with what God is doing in Houston. And I say that as a girl who's been praying for this church, and not been involved month to month putting in the hard work. But I assure you, it's a God-sized ordeal and they've been working very hard.

I'm very grateful He led me here so quickly. It's hard to explain how much of a blessing that is to me. It doesn't mean I won't still grieve my church family of 26 years, or that in any way they'll be forgotten, but I see now how it wasn't a rash decision, but one only the Lord could have woven together these past five months for His glory alone.

Again, the Lord is doing something good and new. All glory to Him.

14 comments:

Kelli said...

What a blessing you and BCF will be to each other! Love you sister! :)

Aunt Monica said...

Beautiful. But you know, Jesus loves Fort Collins more. We have better hair here. Bible scholars know this.

Lindsee said...

Aunt Monica, I just laughed out loud. Jesus does love Fort Collins, without a doubt! And yes, y'all do have much better hair there. But for such a time as this, me and my hair will be residing in Houston. : ) Love and miss y'all.

Profbaugh said...

Lyndsee,

What can I say? I have really enjoyed watching you blossom from a college student to an adult--fully standing in her truth. This is a BIG step, but one I'm sure is the next one for you. How exciting!, know that I am praying got you and BCF!

Love ya bunches,
Chsryl

Taylor said...

Lindsee, this is incredible! What a sweet moment between you and your parents as your dad made that statement. God is so good! Many blessings to you as you begin this new journey... it is so exciting for you!

Much love,
Taylor

Gran Jan said...

Lindsee Lou - I wish I could hug your sweet neck right about how. I'm just blessed by your walk of faith this year and how God is opening doors for you. You've honored Him and stayed pliable and yielded. What a testimony! Your home church will always be there for you - and take credit for "raising you!" :) Praying for you and all my best as you begin working at LPM and in your support of BCF. Exciting days ahead for sure! We serve a Mighty God! I love you sweet little sister,
Mrs. Jan (GA Jan)

connorcolesmom said...

Linds - I am so excited about your new life adventures - new job & new church!
God is up to something BIG and I can not wait to see what it is!
You are such a blessing and a delight!! Wish we could sit down over coffee and talk about it ALL!!!
Much love

Sam Eddy said...

I am reminded that even a simple comment can have impact. My thoughts that evening (I remember the evening but not so much the exact words) were not new. They were the result of watching you, praying for you, loving you and teaching you since you were born. So in one aspect they were 26 years in the making. And they only took 5 seconds to say. I am honored and humbled at the same time to have had a part in your growing up as well as your brothers. I am so greatful for you and Brien and Kevyn who have constantly reminded me of my need for God the Father. I love you and will miss seeing your smile as regularily.

Dondi said...

My sweet friend, I will miss leading with you so very much. My life is so much richer because you are in it. God is good and He will do great things through you and this new journey He is taking you on. I love you and am so excited to get to watch!

Jennifer said...

I am just giddy about this church opening. It is literally right down the street from our home and we can't wait for September 11 to get here so we can visit and see if this is where God will have us be. I am so excited that they are going to be serving Spring Branch which is where my heart is! (And maybe we will actually get to meet in real life now!)

annalee said...

i know you can't hear my squeals of delight, but i'm sure you can imagine them! i love each detail God is doing in your life .

Lindsey said...

Oh, friend. I"m just TICKLED to death for you! I can't imagine how hard it is to leave a church that has ministered to you...especially after all you've done to aid in their ministry...but I know without a doubt that if God called you to BCF, He is going to bless you and use you to bless others! Praying for the new venture.

Anonymous said...

Lindsee,

Hi! This is Anna Tune...Emily Tune William's sister : ) I occasionally read your blog. I just wanted to let you know how excited I am that you will be working for LPM and attending BCF! You are one of the reasons I started attending Beth Moore's Bible studies on Tuesdays! You encouraged me to go (at Emo's bachelorette party), and I remember just really seeing Jesus in you!! You are an amazing young lady! Many blessings!

The Best,
Anna Tune

Groovewoman said...

Wow Lindsee, this post put a lump in my throat and a smile on my face all at the same time. I am so excited for you. The Lord is so awesome!