Sunday, July 13, 2008

Toothbrush Fiasco

The other night while I was eating at Chuy's (Because yes, we have one near our home now...Praise the Lord!) I told this story to our friends and totally deemed it blog worthy. I mean, why I haven't shared it before is just astonishing to me. So, here goes nothin'!

My freshman year of college, instead of going to a University right away, I stayed at home and went to a community college. My oldest brother had just moved back home, so we were back to sharing a bathroom again. Oh, but not only were the big brother and I sharing a bathroom, the little brother also got to share it with us, too. Yes, you can cry for me now. I am more prepared for marriage than any girl should be in this area. Sharing a bathroom with two boys is what I grew up doing. Sharing a bathroom with one boy when married?! Piece of cake!

Anyway, back to story...

So, my little brother has had more dental issues than a kid his age should ever be aloud to have. Oh my goodness, that boy has been to the dentist and orthodontist more times than I could ever count. (Little known fact: When Kev was little he liked the dentist MORE than he liked getting his hair cut. Weird. I personally try to avoid the dentist at all costs!)

During one of his MANY trips to the teeth Nazis (sorry, dentists out there, it's truly nothing personal) his dentist advised my mom that he should start using an electric toothbrush. So, my mom took the advice and bought an electric toothbrush for Kevyn. When she brought it home, Kevyn refused to use it. Since my mom spent money, and Kevyn wanted nothing to do with it, she told me I could use it. Because really, what could be more fun than an electric toothbrush? So, I took it upon myself to open it and start using it. Oh, it was glorious. I was convinced that my teeth had never looked better.

Fast forward two weeks. I was getting in bed and heard Brien, my older brother, in the bathroom getting ready for bed, accompanied by a strange noise. My curiosity and concern led me to the bathroom to see what was going on. As I approached, all I could see was that he was brushing his teeth. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal at all. It would actually calm the curiosity because that IS a normal occurrence. That is, until I looked to see what toothbrush he was using! You guessed it. Excuse yourself if need be at this point.

HE WAS USING THE ELECTRIC TOOTHBRUSH...

THAT I OPENED...

THAT I HAD BEEN USING FOR TWO WEEKS!!!!

Sick. Barf. Gross. Are you kidding me?!

Immediately I started laughing and could barely get a word out of my mouth. I was dumbfounded. 

I mean, y'all, we had been SHARING a TOOTHBRUSH for TWO stinkin' weeks.

He just stared at me and wondered why I was laughing so hard. When I finally told him that I too had been using the toothbrush, he went into immediate gag reflex mode. I asked him why in the world he would use a toothbrush that was already open. You want to know his answer?

"I just figured someone opened it for me!"

Yes, Brien, we love you so much that we don't want you to have to work, especially at opening a toothbrush. Oh. My. Gosh.

I still to this day get WAY tickled at this story. Five years later, all is well. We have no disease. In reality, we just built up our immunity I guess. Oh, it just tickles my buttons.

So, there you have it folks. I shared a toothbrush with my brother for two whole stinkin' weeks and actually lived to tell about it. 

11 comments:

Fran said...

GROSS GROSS GROSS GROSS!!! I had to use one of my kids toothbrushes when we were gone bc it was so late at night....mind over matter kicked in because I almost died.

GROSS GROSS GROSS! :)

connorcolesmom said...

HEHE
That is so funny and totally GROSS!!
You make me laugh Linds and you are totally ready for the husband thing after that :)
God bless
Kim

Missy said...

1. Chuy's rocks. I went there yesterday just for some creamy jalapeno salsa to go. L.O.V.E. IT!

2. Right after I got married, I walked in on Spencer using my toothbrush, I had a MAJOR freak out. So I can imagine how you felt after realizing that was going on for 2 weeks. SICK!

Dana said...

My two oldest have done that too! What is it with men and hygiene! Your husband is going to love you for your bathroom skills...

Dana

Claire said...

I am just tickled reading this. I can totally imagine Brien's facial expressions as he stated he thought ya'll opened it for him, thehe!

Lara & Nate said...

Hey Lindsee! I got to your blog through Claire's. Anyways, so great to see you at MetroLink on Sunday and I hope you will visit us again. Hopefully we can chat more next time :0) Anyways, just wanted to say hi and tell you it was lovely to see you!

Lara

PS - That is a really really gross story!

Janelle and Ella said...

That is hilarious!! You are such a good story teller. I could totally picture the whole thing in my head.

Jenny said...

I can just picture that entire thing unfolding... you doing the laugh where you can't breathe.... Brien gagging, mom/kevyn coming to the stairs and trying to figure out what is going on....

oh i love it...


so gross....

Kelli said...

For starters I am so jealous that you live near the Chuy's in Houston.... we are SO far away from it.

And second and I am still TERRIFIED of the dentist and still DO NOT like to go!

And I would have to say you handled the toothbrush incident very well!

Angela Baylis said...

Okay, this dental hygienist is still concerned about the health of Kevyn's teeth?! Is he using one now? I sure hope so! I am cracking up because my husband and son shared the same brush on vacation on year not knowing! GROSS is right. Believe me when I say this... GROSS! You'll never forget this story. Now, you be a good big sister and make sure your little brother is brushing twice a day with an electric toothbrush and flossing, too! :)
Love to you,
Angie xoxo

Anonymous said...

There is a Chuy's near you now!? Oh i'm so jealous. I loved your gross story but still can't get over Chuy's and the wonderful green sauce being near you. Go there immediately for me and the baby, we want some!