Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Moment of Panic

I was about to title this post "Shear Panic", but I figured that would be a little too dramatic for something that lasted all of 1 minute. Of course, I know as girls we're all about the drama, but I didn't want to get you all riled up about nothing.

This post is going to turn into me telling you all about the title. How boring.

Anyway, onto my moment of panic.

Last night after Jazzercise as I was on my way home, the little brother phoned me to ask if I could pick up some American Cheese from the store. Of course, my immediate reply was, "You mean the yellow cheese, right?". He immediately did one of those you-are-so-dumb laughs, then replied with a "Yes." I mean, let's be real, there are only about 789 different kinds of cheese, and sometimes that is intimidating. I definitely didn't want to bring home the wrong cheese and cause much disappointment. You can only use so many cheeses to make a good Grilled Cheese.

Enough about cheese.

I stopped in at a local Neighborhood Wal-Mart and proceeded to get a basket. I figured since I was there I could pick up a few other things I needed. Like yogurt. Since I had obviously just come from Jazzercise, all I had with me was my wallet, my phone and my keys. I put the phone and keys in my jacket pocket, and then proceeded to put my wallet where you would otherwise put your child of choice. (I don't know where the "child of choice" came from, it just sounded cool.)

Now, picture this with me, I put my wallet in a place where a small child can fit, let alone put their leg through. Warning number one.

I was in Wal-Mart for all of five minutes because frankly, I didn't want to be there, and secondly, there was no way I was missing One Tree Hill. Don't judge me.

So, after picking up the needed items, which of course included the American Cheese, I went to the checkout line where I proceeded to place all of my items on Mr. Conveyor Belt. It was after all my items were almost scanned when I reached back to get my wallet and you guessed it, it was gone. Not there. Missing.

My heart immediately dropped to the floor and I was more dumbfounded than anyone I've ever known. I didn't even know what to say to the lady checking me out. Simply nothing came out of my mouth. Of course, I kept looking back again at the child safety seat thinking it would appear, but to my dismay, it never did.

Finally I uttered the words, "I can't get any of this. My wallet is gone."

I mean really, did I have to tell her I couldn't get anything? "My wallet is missing" would have sufficed.

She too looked shocked, which didn't help my heart which was about to beat out of my chest. By then, I had already blamed some cool person who clearly stole my wallet and I was in pure freak out mode.

The more obvious reason, though, that it was missing is because it probably slipped out of the huge leg hole.

All of the sudden, though, she got a face of revelation on her face and said, "Is it green?"

I couldn't scream "YES!" quick enough. Because indeed, my wallet is green. Just like the billions of dollars I have.

Of course I repeated myself about 15 times, when finally a man who worked there came and handed me my wallet, asking if that was mine. He proceeded to tell me that he thought he was a lucky guy that night because green was his color. Um, no sir. And no thank you. I wasn't in the mood to joke about my lost, green wallet.

They told me that a sweet customer turned it in. I said a "Thank You" prayer to Jesus immediately, because honestly, who turns in wallets these days? Sad, but true. They would have been disappointed in the lack of "green" actually in the wallet, but I was still forever grateful.

And that, my friends, was my moment of panic.

Thank you, Jesus for the kind person who turned in my green wallet. Bless them!

7 comments:

Kelli said...

Right after Caroline was born, I left my diaper bag hanging on the cart at Target. I got in the car drove to another store and realized what I had done. We were with my mom so I was just crying because my wallet and keys were in there so someone could have complete access to my house! When I got to the store some sweet customer had turned it in. You can bet we clapped for Jesus in the car!

I can't wait to hear about the first night of BS - Caroline and I have the stomach bug so my first night will be next week!

Jenny said...

Girl! I forgot to tell you! The other night... I was at the gym on the bike and I was just pedaling my life away watching TV, and this show came on that I had never seen... and then I saw Chad Michael Murray. And i knew that it was your beloved One Tree Hill. I have to admit, the plot was rather interesting ;)

xoxo

p.s. at HCC last night the kids were learning some oldies but goodies, I hadn't heard them in forever! (Gloria Tibi!) Wished you were with me, but then again, I was wishing I was at Beth with you!

love you!

Jackie said...

So glad a sweet person turned it in. That happened to me when Sara was a baby, but I left my ENTIRE diaper bag in the shopping cart at Walmart (wallet, cell phone, etc) and it wasn't until I was already home that I realized it. An HOUR later when I went back, low and behold some WONDERFUL person had turned it in. Praise Jesus!
It was a JOY sitting beside you last night. So happy we have a "Weekly" date again! Have a great rest of the week! love ya sweet girl!

Melissa said...

So glad someone honest found your wallet. I had a friend who lost hers just before the holidays, and was not as blessed. It was a nightmare for her.

My 10-year old recently lost a pair of long-sought-after toe socks in the mall. We walked over the mall a couple of times (they were the last pair in the store...or I would've been tempted to tell her to buy another pair). She was so cynical about finding them, telling me that NO ONE would turn them in nowadays. I felt so bad that she was that cynical at her young age. We prayed over finding them, and lo & behold we did. She'd dropped them near a counter in another store, and the clerk had found them. We praised Jesus that day! It was a small thing, but they meant a lot to her and it was her own money...so it was important to her.

Fran said...

And, you did a very good job telling that horrible story and I laughed at whatever you called the spot where the "something" child sat. Gosh, I'm losing it. I'm tired. Its been a long day. Anyway, I laughed and I'm sorry. But sure am glad you got that lovely green wallet back.

And, I like green too. So, good night. I'm beat.

Missy said...

Girl- I would have been freaking out!!!! So happy there are still nice people in the world!

Katie said...

Ok, throughout that whole story, the only thing I could think about was how excited I am to have someone to freak out about One Tree Hill with!! This makes my heart very happy :)

Katie