The book in particular has come up in recent conversations because Dannah Gresh, the author of that book, is the co-author of the book, The Lies Young Women Believe. Needless to say, she is a great communicator to the younger generation of girls, and for that, I appreciate her very much. Her books are great tools for my job that I so love to pieces!
One of the conversations that recently took place was about a chapter in the book that Dannah has you compile of a list of the things you want and look for in a future husband. Because I am a natural teachers pet due to my nature of people pleasing, I completed the list with great joy. Oh yes I did! And I'll be quite honest and tell you that I still have that list. Of course, that list has changed over the years, and rightfully so. I mean, most of my list consisted of the outward appearance and things I thought would be deal breakers if the man of my dreams did not have it.
Like for instance, playing the guitar or singing was on the top of that list, and while I would love it if my future husband could do either or one of these things, it's no longer a priority. Quite frankly, if the man in my future does not have these capabilities, I'm not going to be a runaway bride.
That is just one of the silly things I remember, but I am sure there are plenty on that list now that are flat our ridiculous and shallow and could be scratched off. I am almost positive that my first list of a man does not even exist. I mean, in no way, shape or form am I going to lower my standards, but that first list was probably more like Ken (of Barbie and Ken) and we all know Ken is perfect, and well, there is not one perfect man. There may be one perfect man for me, but he won't be perfect, either. I know, I had to burst my own bubble.
However, the other day as I was praying for my man, whoever and wherever he may be, I prayed that he would be a man after God's own heart.
And that's when it hit me. That's all I want. That is my list.
The only thing I want is a man after God's own heart.
Because really, if that is true of his life, everything else will fall into place.
(Insert honest statement here: Just for the record, there is still so much of the shallowness of me that wants a hunk of a man to come sweep me off my feet. A tall, dark, handsome knight and shining armor with a fabulous resume'. However, I love that as we mature in Christ, the Lord works on our shallow heart to make us want the things of Him. Of course, what girl wouldn't want that kind of man?)
Just like David was a man after God's own heart (1 Samuel 13:14, Acts 13:22), I want my man to be the same thing. I simply want him to desire the things of God. We all no David wasn't without sin, but he sure was a man that was faithful to the Lord and gave Him much praise. Oh, to have a man like that.
But you know what? If that is what I desire in my man, I best be having the same heart attitude. Who said I can't have a heart after God's own heart? It means that I too need to start desiring the things of God. Because it is then, that if and when I marry the man God has for me, that we can serve the Lord better together than apart.
And that, my sweet friends, is my ultimate desire. My ultimate list.
Not only a man after God's own heart, but that our hearts would love and serve Him far better together, than if we were apart.
4 comments:
I like the blog today.
You are praying for the most amazing man in the world. One after God's own heart. It doesn't get any better than that sister!
I am reading Beth Moore's devotional on that right now and I am loving it. Have you read it already?
I love this post!
I will say, I think back in our sophomore year of highschool one of the things on your list was that he had to play baseball. You know how we were about the baseball players :)
I'm so glad that your list has shortened to one singular, very important requirement. I'm praying for him too, wherever he is... and praying that he'll get here soon and sweep you off your feet.
He'll be such a hunk :)
love you forever
j.d.m. (i)
I taught a weekend session of "pure freedom" which comes from that book And the bride wore white. My girls loved it. That was years ago. How wild.
I loved your list. God's heart!
You don't need to "start desiring the things of God," you ALREADY ARE! And always will! Prayed for you this very day Exodus 33:14.
"Now and then, til I see your face again, I'll be loving you."
Love, Me
Post a Comment