Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Loneliness

I am not normally one who is prone to loneliness. I’ve always had a vast amount of friends and family that I am constantly surrounded by, and plus, my “schedule” is never really lacking, per say. Most times my day is filled from dawn to dusk with many different activities.

However, in the past year, after graduation, I have noticed that I have felt lonelier. I think a lot of it has to do with the transition I have been in. I know you’re thinking, “But Lindsee, it’s been almost a year that you’ve been done with school!” And while yes I know that, it has also been a year, if you know what I mean. In taking this job in ministry, that I never planned on doing, my life has been flipped upside down. Ministry, rather than teaching, is a whole different ball game. I have come to find out, that in some sense of the word, it can be a bit lonelier. Your time is spent pouring into different lives here and there, and your work schedule is a bit different than the normal nine to five. Henceforth, getting involved in other things is trickier. And being a sanguine, I need me some folks to be with. It’s just in my blood.

Please don’t hear me complaining about this at all, it’s just things I have observed and learned now that I almost have a year of ministry under my feet. And just for the record, if you haven’t realized by now, I love my job.

Another factor, I think, that contributes to this loneliness is the fact that I don’t know many girls my age that are single and in full time ministry. I am not saying they’re not out there, I just don’t know them. I do know plenty of people in ministry, they, however, have a family to tend to. So, their ministry even looks different than mine.

More than any of these reasons, though, the main reason for this loneliness, is because of the amount of time I spend filling my life with things that I think will satisfy, but ultimately, let me down, leaving me more lonely than before. I spend more time, honestly, chasing after things of this world that are so temporary, than I do chasing after the things of the Lord.

What are these things, you ask? Well, facebook, blogging, commenting, shopping, watching TV., working out, worrying about when and where I might meet my future husband, Girl's Ministry, my appearance, people pleasing, and a handful of countless other things.

Not one of the things I listed is bad, however, each of these things take away sweet time that I could be spending with the Lord, getting to know Him better, and I’ll never get that time back.

Blogging and facebook is certainly a community of social networkers, and to say that I have loved every moment of it is an understatement. And I don’t plan on quitting either of these things any time soon. But, blogging, facebook, and twittering (not that I twitter, but I don’t for a reason) should never replace real face-to-face community. That would be truly unhealthy.

When I spend time with my peeps, whomever they may be, I walk away full and encouraged. Sometimes, however, when I spend hours (and yes, it can be hours) on the social networking sites, I walk away empty. Certainly encouraged at times, but more so walk away with a sense of loneliness.

I’ve thought long and hard as to why this might be, and have searched my own, weary heart, and I’ve come to one conclusion. The conclusion is Hebrews 10:24-25, “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”

I have certainly, at times, been more prone to want to stay home and sit online to catch up on everybody’s life instead of going out with friends or family and meeting together with them. No, it’s not all I do, but I don’t want it to become a habit, because that is certainly what Satan wants us as the Day that Christ returns is drawing ever so close. We need each other now more than ever. We were made for people. But, I think we were made for people in a face-to-face relationship, and we cannot forfeit that because of all the networking we have going on. At least, I cannot forfeit it.

I have found that my loneliness is a direct result of how much time I spend on the internet doing “good” things, but things that never fill me up with His presence. Yes, I may get my fair share of facebook or blog comments, but those comments only last for so long leaving me feeling totally empty.

And while words are one of my primary love languages, the Lord is teaching me that His Words are the only ones that stand forever, nor will they return void. Hence why I feel a void after human words.

I have also found that while everything is certainly permissible, as Paul says in 1 Corinthians 6:12 and 10:23, not everything is beneficial. I have to evaluate in my life what is beneficial, and follow hard after those things. I can’t be mastered by anything but Jesus. I’m not saying at all that I have these things down, or am even practicing them every day, but I want to, I am trying to. (And while I may be taking that verse slightly out of context, I do believe I can still apply it in this way.)

The fact is, whatever we are longing for, we are going to chase after. I long for all manner of things and chase after them mindlessly. The reason I find myself “chasing after blogging” and other things of that nature is because in my sanguine self, I am so afraid I am going to miss out on something huge if I’m not constantly connected to the outside world. The honest truth, though, is that if I’m not constantly connected to the One who gives life and gives it to the fullest, John 10:10, that is when I am going to miss out on something huge. Only Jesus can give us the life we desire. Sometimes I think Satan has used blogging and facebook in my life to distract me from spending time with Him, thinking that those outlets will give me life, when really, he’s used it to steal, kill and destroy my life. Those things only leave me feeling emptier.

If I am going to follow Him, Mark 1:17, like He commands us to do instead of admire Him from afar like so many of us do, some things in my life have to change. I have to re-arrange my schedule. Not totally give up blogging and facebooking, but just change my priorities. And honestly, as much as I want to think I’ll be missing out if perhaps one day I go without the internet, I have to believe that to be a complete lie. I mean, to think that Beth Moore and I would become BFF because we’re “blog buddies” is completely crazy. Yes, I do love her, but we won’t become BFF because I’m a blog follower.

Only my Jesus can satisfy my every desire and the loneliness I feel in my heart even in a crowded room. I am tired of settling. Tired of the loneliness I feel. Tired of always wanting more, more, more because I’m not satisfied in Him. Tired of being distracted by boys and who I might marry. While I’m single, Paul, in 1 Corinthians 7:35, encourages me to live in “undivided devotion to the Lord.”

He has “set eternity in the hearts of men”, Ecclesiastes 3:11 tells us, and that eternity shaped hole, is only something He can fill. To His great Glory!

So, here I am, living in “undivided (or without distraction) devotion to the Lord.”

Lord Jesus, help me!

10 comments:

cristina said...

i was just telling someone about the counterfeit community that can happen if we're not careful...i guess this idea is resonating with others too.

let me know when you want to jump into that book...my door is open.

Melinda said...

My, my, but you have a wisdom FAR beyond your years! This is the very reason that I never allowed myself to start Twitter and why I shut down my Facebook - to get my FACE in the BOOK! I still blog, as it gives me a place to write on a consistent basis, but I try to keep it focused on God and I've cut back on my number of posts. Boomama wrote something at AllAccess that has really resonated with me:

"Do we spend more time writing about our lives than actually LIVING them?"

Such a fine line - we've really got to be careful.

I'll be praying about your loneliness as you serve your God in the capacity to which He's called you, that He would fill all the empty up with His own sweet Spirit. And you can come see me any time you want, once I get over there (Ft. Worth!)

Love you sweet Lindsee,
Melinda

connorcolesmom said...

I honestly think I could have written that post
I too feel lonely at times - yet I find myself trying to fill that void by blogging, FB or twittering
God has shown me that when I feel lonely I need a reality check b/c as you have said - I am usually doing "filler" things instead of solid and focused God things!
love you Linds!
Miss you like crazy!
Kim

Fran said...

Girl....there is definitely a theme going on in so many of our lives. Its the most bizarre thing....to be surrounded by people but yet lonely.

Praying for us all. Praying to be seeking Him first above anything else!

I love ya so much. I swear I better see your sweet self in January in Houston. I'll cry all over again.

Toknowhim said...

Lindsee,

You nailed it... I think women especially struggle with things like blogging, FB and more... Awhile ago I felt the Lord was calling me to take a break from the blogging and computer world. I took a 40 day break, and it was a very meaningful experience.

Often, I have the thought about giving it all up, and that might be a place I will have to go one day... I don't know...

You mentioned about Satan using things like blogging and FB, and I do find truth in that too. However, my friend and I sometime talk about what if God is using things like blogging to test us to see if we turn to them more than when turn to Him.

God must have first place in our lives and eventually He is so good to show us the things that are competing for the place that only He should have...

Oh may the Lord fill you up to overflowing with His presence...He is life and love...

Blessings, Kim

Shelly said...

Oh...my...Jesus...word. I'm flooded with thoughts.
1) I'm lonely too. Maybe you should come visit me, or me you, but that would fall into the category of false satisfactions, right? :) Part of the reason I say that to you is to also be a truthful reminder that marriage doesn't cease propensity for loneliness :)
2) I hadn't read your blog, and JUST finished writing a new one, that touches on some of your heart-wrenching themes. I'm speechless...the Spirit is doing a work, and I am so thankful.
3) Uhmm...if I had a ministry, maybe we could do more 'life' together. So, as previously noted, I'll get to working on whatever it's going to be, m'kay? lol!

Angela Baylis said...

Hi, Lindsee!
This comment is not meant to just be another comment to encourage you. It's meant to tell you the truth. I've become way too attached to this whole blog thing, too as well as facebooking. Just earlier today I decided to delete some friends who aren't really friends on there. I totally understand what you said by the feeling of "missing out". I've tried to back off on blogging lately. I notice that when I stop commenting on people's blog, they stop stopping by, then I feel rejected. It's crazy to feel rejected by total strangers. I'm feeling the same way as you. I find it amazing how all of us feel lonely. The encouragement we get is addicting. It has also helped fill a needed piece of my puzzle. I need you to know one thing. If you decided to quit blogging I will NEVER forget you! You have touched my life and shown me how age has nothing to do with Spiritual maturity. You have taught me so much since I first met you! I love learning from girls who are my kids' age. Thank you for all you do for God's kingdom. I guess my mind is flooded as well!
Much love from another married girl who experiences lonliness, too! God is the Only One who can satisfy that place in our heart!
Love you, friend!
Angie xoxo

Angela Baylis said...

p.s. I'm sorry! I've never written such a long comment on anyone's blog! xoxo

Lyndy said...

While I am a good bit older than you, at 40. I can so relate to EVERYTHING you said. What a timely post that I know God led me to.

Thank you so much for writing this...you took the words right out of my own heart.

Jackie said...

i could have written so much of this myself. had an IDENTICAL conversation with someone the other day about losing "face" time b/c of facebook. People think this can substitute for relationship, but it can't...you need HUMAN interaction, face to face. I'm so sanguine too it's not even funny!
so...in light of that blog- let's get some FACE time! soon! :)