It's no secret that I'll be 25 this year.
It's no secret that that's a sincere desire of my heart.
It's no secret that I believe Him for that desire, but that it's just a matter of time. His time, not mine.
And although I'm afraid my timetable probably looks terribly different than His, I am still hopeful that He will not fail me. That is if I hope in Him, not my circumstances.
However, it's also no secret that even though it's not always easy to wait, and sometimes it's frustrating, confusing or lonely, He's in the midst of preparing me for something greater than myself. Something I can't explain and may never know this side of heaven.
A few years back one of my college girls lent me a CD series on dating by Matt Chandler. It was the first I'd heard of him and I was instantly challenged and encouraged. It wasn't like every other "dating" book I'd read, or singles series I'd heard, but it was raw, truthful and godly. I actually still have those CD's and was just reminded of them this morning!
You see, every morning while I'm getting ready for the day I listen to a podcast. I have a wide variety of pastors and speakers I subscribe to and among them is Matt Chandler. Just this morning as I was listening while getting ready for church, Matt was my podcast of choice and in the midst of this series he was doing, dating came up.
I'm not gonna lie, I immediately always tune in because I can't miss such pertinent information. Especially if it's godly, wise advice on telling me how to "wait" for my man, and later, be a better wife to my unknown future husband.
It's always "fun" to hear Matt get riled up because oh boy does that man have some passion.
His plea to all the singles was that he was FOR single guys searching for a wife. It is the biblical thing to do. To man up, take some responsibility, move out of the house, get a job and start to establish a family. I'm not sure how many fist pumps I did, but I assure you it was a substantial amount. I truly couldn't agree more, but after that I wondered, well then where the heck are all of these godly guys?
However, he wasn't done. It was then that he harped on the girls for 2.5 seconds to try and get through to them to STOP dating the "neat christian guys", the guys that just go to church, but to truly desire a godly husband and wait for him.
One that is pursuing his relationship with Christ first and foremost.
One that is a leader in his workplace and his home.
One that will pursue biblical manhood.
One that will love his wife the way Christ loves the church.
So often these girls meet these guys, start dating them, get married out of desperation and are miserable because he's truly not the godly man they desired.
No, he's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. But he's not pursuing the things of Christ.
But there is a huge difference in just a neat christian guy and a guy that is pursuing Christ whole heartily and longs to serve him both alone and with his wife.
I remember hearing this in college, and even talking about it in college with some of my girlfriends. But today is struck a chord because that IS my hearts desire. I don't want to settle for just a "neat christian guy." Not after all this time.
I desire a husband who is whole heartily devoted to Christ and serving him and I think it'd be so neat to be along for the ride. I'm believing God for this. I've always prayed for this, but now I'm believing Him for this.
What was the point of all my waiting if I just settled for something mediocre instead of His absolute best for me all out of desperation? How pitiful.
I can't say I deserve a man like this, quite frankly, I don't "deserve" anything. But our God is a God of grace and He desires to bless us abundantly.
As I think on these desires and prayerfully consider them, a few examples of relationships like this immediately come to mind.
Curtis and Amanda Jones, who both serve with Living Proof Ministries in different capacities, but both have a heart for ministry.
Ben and Donna Stuart, who serve at Breakaway Ministries at Texas A&M University. Ben is the director and the main teacher while Donna gets to use her gifts of leading worship and investing in college girls. How neat is that?
Afshin and Meredith Ziafat. While Afshin travels to speak all over the world, quite literally, Meredith gets to travel alongside him and encourage other believers using her degree in Biblical Counseling. It's not "official" per say, but it's a gift nonetheless.
This isn't even including all the amazing couples whom I'm privileged to serve with in my church, those of whom have decided to serve the Lord together, rather than apart. My parents for one, JJ and Anna Jones, David and Angie Martin, Greg and Allison Despres and countless others.
If witnessing all of these examples of service to the Lord with your spouse doesn't encourage me in my waiting for a godly husband, I'm not sure what will.
Mark my words now, I'm praying and believing God for a godly man who is pursuing the things of Christ, not just a neat christian guy who goes to church!
23 comments:
I am so excited for you and have been for awhile, I have been praying a godly man for you for some time now.
I smile every time I think about it because it will be fun for all of us who have prayed to see this brought to fruition. ;O)
Being a woman of divorce, I can tell you I have prayed that very thing, if God wanted me to remarry that I wanted a man who loved God more than anything or anyone else.
I believe this will happen for you when you least expect it. :) That makes me think of Shelly and Nate. :)
Have a great day!
Except for the fact that I'm already 25, I could have written those first four sentences. Heck, I could have...if I was a good writer...written this whole post.
Amen Amen Amen to everything you said.
Want you to know that as I pray for myself and my future mate that I will be praying for you and yours as well!
Blessings,
Lindsey
Jen (Taylor) here. I read this 'cause you linked it on FB. Believe me, the waiting is tough. I didn't get engaged until I was 27 (14 days before I turned 28...) and I never really dated along the way. I can't even say I dated my husband, if you can believe that. It was long distance the entire time and God worked the relationship without me even knowing it. We were friends. That's it. It'll happen when you're not looking.
Girl, girl, girl! Loved this post, and I could. not. agree. more.
Enjoy your day, Taylor
Oh, my dear friend and sister, he's gonna be SO worth waiting for...I wrote about covering a couple of days ago...talking about a husband who will be your cover and be under Christ's cover. And as I wrote, I began to think that there are married women out there, who do not have husband's willing to be a cover...and they are Christian couples. So while you walk this journey, keep ever before you the word READY. Just as Jesus is making things ready in Heaven, my sister, HE is readying things here on earth for you and you alone. It's going to be one of the most beautiful stories you've ever seen.
Also? The last post I wrote referred to a sermon from our old pastor at A&M on Psalm 139. Please download it--for he speaks to singles in such an authoritative and godly way. I know I was shouting, "YES!" right out loud when I heard him. You want a man, who will lead. Yes.
Praying for you! Taping Biggest Loser tonight. Gonna give it another shot...got too busy last season.
Once again I am in awe of your maturity. I'm believing Him for you, too Lindsee! You are the best and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if I click on here one of these days soon and you tell me you found him!
Love you,
Angie xoxo
p.s. Yes, ma'am... I'll be looking for you! :)
Lindsee, you are precious. You are so beautiful inside and out. I will join you in praying for your man! Not just any man, but a godly man with a heart for serving Him through your partnership.
Amen girl.
I did not get married until I was 32, to a truly godly guy who was SOOOOOOOOO worth the wait. I am ridiculously happy in my marriage. I did date tons of boys before he came along and Lindsee? If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have. I would have foccussed my heart on the Lord instead of wasting my time training other women's husbands.
You are the more blessed one, sweet girl.
xo mis
Lindsey,
My brother is one of those men you were talking about- a God seeker. But he's just now getting his life together and preparing the way for a marriage partner (and he's 32). He desperately wants to find the right girl but knows that God's timing is best. I would love for him to have heard that sermon!
Hey Lindsee,
Each time I read your posts about finding love, I am always touched because I can identify with it so much. I too am waiting patiently for the One..and believe me, the waiting is hard. There are days when I just don't want to care anymore if he finds me or not but I know that God put those feelings in my heart for a reason. And the same God who has been so gracious to me all my life will in the fullness of time bring both you and me into the season for which he will come. I look forward to the day you will post about the Godly man that came into your life and swept you of your feet. Remain blessed!!
Have you read Missy's post called "ton o' bricks" ??? it will bless your heart.
looking forward to meeting you this weekend at the SSMT event.
Deirdre
Hi Lindsee~
I totally understand where you are. I am there. I am 26- will be 27 next month. I have dated several guys, all the while knowing they were not the "ones." I just didnt want to be single. Currently, I am doing the same and getting ready to break it off. I even moved in with him. Not good.
It is so much better to be single than with the wrong man. You are so brave for waiting. I know you probably here this a lot and I hope it is true because I hear it alot too- he is out there and he will be worth the wait!
So, here's to you at 25 and me at 27 to being single and waiting for our awesome god-loving man we are wating for!
How am I missing these posts? They aren't showing up in my bloglines. grrr.
Girl - God is going to rock your socks off with what He has in store for you! Thanks for continuing to be so amazing and for sharing your heart.
AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!It is TODAY and I am on my way! Cannot wait to hug your neck Lindslee Lou!!!!!!!! You mean so much to me! I may just wrestle you to the ground--ha. Love your beautiful heart for HIM! He is lifting you to a Grand Story! I was 30 when I married and thought it wouldn't happen. I had dated a whole lot as a non-Christian but when I became a Christian at 25, I never was asked out again until 5 years later. And the guy told me on the first date he wanted to marry me! My husband!
I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE YOU!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Hey Lindsee, I'm sorry that I didn't get to meet you at the blogup, too! I'd love to get together sometime and chat if you'd like. My email address is lesliemaddox@gmail.com.
And I totally agree with this post. I married at 33 and hardly ever dated, so I understand waiting. And I totally agree with the thought of not dating every "neat Christian guy" that comes along. I taught a single adult Sunday School class for three years, and was very involved in the single adult ministry long before that, so I can tell you that just because a guy is steeped in the Christian subculture doesn't mean he's godly. They may go to every ministry event and put on all the appearance of godliness, and still not be a true follower of Christ. For me the most important thing was that he be teachable, meaning that he's responsive to the conviction and guidance of the Holy Spirit. That kind of man doesn't always come in a "good little Christian boy" package.
Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox. I hope to chat with you soon! I love to talk about this stuff.
So proud of you Lindsee...
Oh Lindsee, such wisdom-you are so right girl!
It's so weird that I just read this, last night at Austin Stone, pastor Matt Carter was teaching on this exact thing. His final warning to all the singles was to just keep running hard after Jesus, and every once and a while look to your right and to your left to see who is running along side you--thats where you will find Him! You are going to be so glad you waited for Gods best for you-a husband you can serve with-you'll know he's the one when he loves Jesus more than you and you love Jesus more than him.
<3 Suzi
I love you sweet Lindsee. You are so beautiful, honest, and precious! We are taken with you!
I love you to pieces.
I love that your heart is desiring the right things.
I love what Missy said to you.
I am honored to be praying for that Godly man who you will serve God and His people together!
"What was the point of all my waiting if I just settled for something mediocre instead of His absolute best for me all out of desperation? How pitiful."
amen! This is a lesson I had to learn the hard way. But because I have learned it, I'm that much more committed to waiting on God for His best.
Thanks for sharing this through Kelly's site! I'm wondering if you know the link to the sermon series you are talking about. I would love to listen to it!
What a great post!!! I can tell you from experience that praying & waiting on a "mog" (man of God) is well worth it! I too, wanted a man that didn't just go to church, but was involved and committed to the Lord! MY thing was...I wanted him to be like Proverbs 31 describes..."praised at the city gates". I also thought it was vital that he be a tither. Our story is amazing and truly a testimony of God bringing us together in his perfect timing! We were both happy being single and were both doing seperate ministries in our churches when we met. God is good...& HE is out there and worth the wait. I am thankful for how God guarded my heart over my 24 years. I have just started writing about this (our story) on my blog. On Monday, we will have been married 7 years. GOD IS FAITHFUL!!! Get ready...
WOW! It's quite evident to me, that God is working on you and working on your heart. Thanks so much for sharing. I randomly picked a # on Kelly's link to read, and chose yours. (!) I will lift you up in prayer and pray for a fabulous man of God to enter your sweet, sincere, blessed life. I am now a new follower of yours, as I want to watch and see what God has in store for you. My prayers and well wishes to you!
Tara H.
Post a Comment