Yes, I love the girl’s bible studies, I love the girl’s retreats, I love the events and all the hugs, but through all of those activities, it's hard to actually get to know the girls hearts. Have one on one time with them. It is only through meeting with them weekly, doing bible study together, doing life together, listening to anything and everything, the serious and the mundane, and through honestly asking them the hard questions that I actually get to know them and invest in them and gain a love for them that is so from the Lord. Hands down, I'd have to say leading a small group is my favorite part of my job. (The only bummer is that I can't lead every small group of girls. But that’s nearly impossible!)
With that said, I just got to spend the entire weekend with my girls at our high school retreat. I always look so forward to these weekends with great anticipation, and this weekend did not disappoint. I'd say it's been the best yet! However, the only anxiety I had going into this one was that I knew it would be my last retreat with these girls. As excited as I am to get to know a completely different group come this fall, I'm going to have a hard time letting these girls go. I so treasure our group. It has been my pleasure getting to invest in them these past two years. They've so grown on me, and I hope, me on them.
We spent this weekend laughing, serving together at an area ministry sorting food, encouraging each other, learning together, worshiping together, and having fun together and countless other things. It is a weekend etched in my memory that I will not soon forget. I can’t forget to mention that we even zip lined together. Oh yes, yes we did. Our host home generously let us play on the one they had in their backyard and it was one of the exciting things next to laughing uncontrollably at 3 a.m.
I’m not going to lie, these weekends exhaust me. Going to be around 4:00 and 4:30 a.m. and rising at an early hour do not provide for much rest per say, but the Lord so redeems that time. I’m thankful to have Mondays off after weekends like this. Not everyone is so blessed! Plus, the investment that takes place in the wee hours of the night so outweigh the sleep I would get.
Another highlight from the weekend was that I had the pleasure of introducing Afshin Ziafat to our group. I had the privilege to sit under his teaching all throughout my time at Sam Houston State and I was so anxious for our high school students to meet him. He is a gifted and anointed teacher that is so humble and longs to give all glory and honor to Jesus. It’s incredible! I’m so thankful for him and his ministry. I’m also extremely thankful that I got to know his precious wife, Meredith. She could easily be one of my favorite people. So genuine and encouraging. I loved every second of having them here with us this weekend.
To say that Afshin challenged our group would be an understatement. It has been so neat to see how the students hearts have been stirred after hearing his message. They are eager to do something, to be the hands and feet of Christ and I truly couldn’t ask for anything more. Oh, I pray that they follow through and that their hearts were truly changed.
The Tom Edwards Band also joined us this weekend. We loved having them come to Houston! For the past few years they’ve led worship for us at camp in Florida, so having them on our stomping grounds was exciting. If you’re looking for some new worship music, seriously check them out on iTunes. What’s neat about having them come back time and time again is that they start to form relationships with some of the students and that’s fun for everyone involved.
After weekends like this past one, I’m extremely humbled that the Lord allows me to do this as a living, for such a time as this. So many people ask me if I’ll ever teach, or how long they think I’ll be in ministry. Never have I been able to answer that question! I’m the Lords and I want what He wants for my life, not what I desire and want. If that means serving here for the next 10 years, then so be it. If it means teaching in 2 years, then so be it. Only the Lord knows. All I can say is that for this time, He has called me to serve and love these girls and for that, I am extremely grateful. I love them dearly.
Thank you, sweet girls for letting me love you, serve you and invest in your life. It is my greatest pleasure.

















1 comment:
aW.. Linsee, I must say that I so am going to miss you next year! I never thought our group would have so much fun.. It is truly incredible and I love it! Thanks for investing your time and growing closer with us! I am so sad that after this year, I wont see you every week! I have really enjoyed all the fun and encouraging times! You are a blessed girl and you bless us every week! I Love YOu!
<3 Shannon
Post a Comment