Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Oh, Oh, Oh...

Oh! I just have SO much to say it feels like! Man, has it been a week, but a good one at that! :)

So, as you all know, from my earlier post, we started working with the children today...what a joy, and some sadness all in one! In Madisonville, I am working with a 4th grade child, so exciting, except I haven' t met my child yet :( Yes, very sad...but Thursday will come soon enough! Basically, the reason I haven't met my child yet is because today at the intermediate school they were benchmarking. For those of you who don't know what benchmarking is, it is a pre-test to the TAKS. They are testing the children to see where their scores are now, so they can raise them before the actual TAKS test. Yes, way stressful, but it just has to happen! Anyway, since they were testing, we weren't allowed to join them, which is OK! They don't need a bunch of college students standing over them...way too intimidating! Since we had almost an hour and a half to kill, we decided to explore the sweet little town of Madisonville, and oh, what a sweet time it was!!! Big town girl here, got an absolute kick out of this town. It is pretty much a movie making town...everything you would expect is there. Today, we decided to get a little breakfast, so what do you know, we head down to the nearest PHARMACY to get us some grub. I got SUCH a laugh from this! I will have you all know that we sat right next to the laxatives! What a joy!!! There's nothin' like some good home cookin' at the nearest pharmacy, where you can also purchase any medication you need...saves you time, eh?!

Anyway, I had such a BLAST with some of my fellow classmates. Just know, that most of these people I don't know at all, but after today, I just feel like a little family! That's basically what they are anyway, we see each other enough! I just love it that we are all SO different, but yet we come together in something we are all so passionate about, and have the whole world in common. It was a good time!! I am so enjoying reading block. I seriously COULD NOT have asked for a better professor, or better classmates! I enjoy everyone, and the class SO much!

Now, for the tutoring session. Thankfully, I did get to meet my little guy, he is in 1st grade and just about the most precious and funny thing ever. But, let me tell you, I could have cried a river when I left there, simply because he is in 1st grade, yet, he can't even read the word "and". Such a basic word, and he can't even make it out. I had him write for me, and the only letter he can write is an A. This absolutely breaks my heart, but I am pressing forward and KNOWING that when he walks out in may, he will be reading. Maybe not much, but just a little. We have a long way to go, but I am so willing to do what he needs me to, and that is simply LOVE him. His home life is rough, he just needs love! And some guidance along the way! :) Pray for him, please?!

So, then it was time for TRUTH! Something I so look forward to EVERY Tuesday night. If it's not gonna be Beth :), this will do! I learned one thing that totally stood out, and that is:

Your position in Christ will NEVER change. If you are his child, you are his child for GOOD. But, your CONDITION will change, and this is up to us. Are you going to hand the reigns back over to him? I know I am, simply because when I take my life into my own hands, I feel as though everything falls apart. With HIM in control, I feel so much less stressed! What a JOY!!!

Just think about that this week. If it's hard for you to hand over something, pray about it. Simple as that, but yes, I know, HARDER than ever. Take EVERY thought captive to Christ! :)

Love to all of you! Hope you have a joyous week!! Be JOYFUL in HIM!!! :)

Good night precious ones!!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

He'll be a reading machine by the time you're done with him :) Love you lady!