I picked it up at the beginning of summer at a grand $4.97 (I was so proud!) but didn't start reading it till about a week ago. And really, I started reading it because tomorrow night we are having Project Runway 2007 at our church for the girls, and I thought I would see what this book we were going to advertise had to say about modesty. Low and behold, it is wonderful.
Hayley DiMarco does a wonderful job of putting it bluntly. There is no holding back and I love it. Not only does she have scripture to back up EVERYTHING but she pulls in guys points of views, youth pastors points of views and some wonderful quotes. It's an easy read and I have enjoyed it yet learned so much at the same time. I think I am prepared for tomorrow. :)
One particular quote stood out to me, though which I am going to share.
"If most of us are ashamed of shabby clothes...let us be more ashamed of shabby ideas and shoddy philosophies...it would be a sad situation if the wrapper were better than the meat wrapped inside it." -Albert Einstein
Do you get it? If our "wrapper" or our "outward appearance" were better than the "meat" or the "heart" of who we are, how sad would that be? But, how true it is. More often than not I am more concerned with my outward appearance more than I am my heart, and it's issues. I would rather appear to "have it all together" than to really face the issues in my life. Because boy, that sure makes life easier, doesn't it? It's sad, but our culture has taught us that. Everything must me A-OK if we look good. And if we take it to the next level and compare ourselves to someone, and we look or dress better than them, well then by golly, we're livin' the high life. I know it sound harsh, but it's so true and something I need to work on. My heart should be the center of my worries. Not my outward appearance, as it so often is.
I want people to see my heart, it's desires and passions before they see me. I want them to notice something different about me, not cause I dress cute or my hair looks good that day, but because I love Jesus and want to serve him. I want the "meat" to far out weigh the "wrapper".
So I remind myself that "The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7
And that my "adornment must not be merely external-braiding the hair and wearing gold jewelery or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God." - 1 Pet. 3:3-4
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." - Proverbs 31:30
I needed a heart check!
12 comments:
I love that you're learning!! I want to read it now!!! You know i read after you read thing...i like our swaps!! Love you!!
1. that book sounds really good
2. i love the quote. it is really so true.
3. i love reading your blog, it's so encouraging!
4. i love that i made it into your pictures on the side of the blog.
5. i love you lindsee!
Jamie
well, i just thought i would let you know that i am now an official blogger :)
love you!
I think every middle and High school girl should read that! We were in youth ministry and sometimes I would make my girls go change ... I'd send them to my youth office and if nothing else put a HUGE shirt on them while they were around. I just wish they could see that there is more to it, ya know? They never got while I made them do this ... I just pray one day they will 'get it'.
Oooh girl, I love it! Love you! And did you see that Jamie has joined us?! YAY!
i know...it was hard, but i finally gave in :) this is going to be fun. i think i like not being anonymous anymore!
and you definately have to come see my room after it gets all decorated and cute... or we won't be friends anymore! :) i'm just kidding, but for real, you better!
love you!
Girl, I love your comments about this issue....you know my heart on this and I can't wait for tonight and all that the girls will learn. I am praying even now!
Love,
Dana
Great post ... I need to look into that book!
I love this! I came to your page through Shelly's and I'm right there with you on the modesty issue! It's such a task to exchange worldly thinking about our worth as women for Jesus thoughts! Thanks for the reminder! And way to go Albert Einstein!
Great words sister.
(And such a cute idea at church!)
"I want people to see my heart, it's desires and passions before they see me. I want them to notice something different about me, not cause I dress cute or my hair looks good that day, but because I love Jesus and want to serve him." Thats good stuff...but can I just say wow that's so hard lol. I've actually had morning conversations with God before where I'm like "God, I would've loved to have spent time with you this morning and would've had time but now my hair's not doing right and my eyeliner just smudged. I mean you can part seas and stuff so obviously you can make me look good and well since I don't then I'm just going to have to spend that extra time trying to do that so sorry" LOL that was a rabbit trail, but yeah it's so hard. I want to read that book.
Can you tell me how to add alot of pictures like you did? Mmmk thanks love you.
Post a Comment