Yesterday was different, though. Two inmates escaped early yesterday morning while doing yard work on the highway. Obviously, if they were doing yard work, outside, they've been given the privilege to do so and they're trusted. They lost that trust yesterday after escaping and killing a guard. My heart is sad for that family. What a risky job. They are better people than I am for working at a prison! And for that matter, being a guard.
Normally when there are escapees, Huntsville goes on lock down. All the schools stay locked, and then it's up to the businesses and the college (Sam Houston) to make a decision as to whether we'll be on lock down or not. Most of the time, everything is on lock down for a bit, and then they re-open. Sam Houston, however, seems to NEVER go on lock down. We are simply all sent an email (as if we check our email in class) telling us to stay safe. Yes, they send us updates, but seriously. Wal-Mart was even on lock down for a bit. Now that, my friends, is RARE!
As I left school yesterday, very cautiously, I had heard I couldn't get to my apartment because that side of I-45 had been closed off for the time being. My roommate told me to come to her friends house until we could go home and I was OK with that. I'd much rather be with people than by myself anyway. After I picked up some lunch, I decided I would just try and go to our apartment to see if we could get in yet. Well, low and behold, I could. But, upon my arrival I decided NOT to stay because I wasn't sure about the 3 helicopters circling our apartments. Umm, no thank you! So, I went to the friends apartment. That's when I realized that the reason my side of 45 was closed was because that's where all the drama took place. And, not only did it take place on my side of 45, but it took place basically in the parking lot of my apartment.
You see, there is a bank literally right in front of my apartment. It sits in our entry way. The 2 escapees, after killing and taking the weapons from the prison guard, ran to the bank where they hijacked a ladies truck, while shooting, and throwing her in the back seat while they sped off. My apartment manager saw it all happen. Scary. Luckily, they were caught of few blocks away. They abandoned the truck, and the lady, then one was caught and one ran off on foot. That's when the search began. He not only escaped, but he was armed and dangerous. Thankfully, late afternoon they caught him, and now the 2 are back in prison, with no privileges and more charges against them. They have no remorse and told the public that they have "nothing to loose." So sad. My heart hurts for the guard who was killed and her family. Her husband is an HPD officer and when interviewed last night said that "she was everything he had."
Pray for that family, would you?
When Megan and I returned to our apartment, after a little scare of our own, we had our own "lock down." You better believe that ALL of the locks on our door were secure and LOCKED. They may have been caught, but we were on edge.
And that, sweet friends, is an exciting day in Huntsville, Texas. We get to experience the joy's of TDCJ (Texas Department of Criminal Justice) that no one else experiences.
11 comments:
heaven help us all!! That is crazy!! It makes me nervous and i am quite a ways away :) hahah!!
I am glad my bestie is safe and sound and locked up!!!
Miss you!
holy cow! how scary. i'm glad you're safe.
that is scary! Glad you and your friends are all safe! Will be praying for all those involved.
OMG!!! I bet your dad was about to hop in the car and take you home :)
oh the joys of living in huntsville! i definitely heard the news and was praying for all of you! and i of course kinda felt sad missing out on the action! there's no prisons in my town now.. sad story. =( haha.
love you honey!
Girl,The Holy Spirit was speaking through your roomate to stay away:)
Praise the Lord that you listened!
Amazing though, I praise God also because it could have been so much worse...
Get some rest and relax today, my dear siesta:)
Next time you are ever at a place where you are a little anxious,
say aloud Phillipians 4, meditate and memorize it girl!
Be Blessed:)
Ang
I was thinking about you the other day when I was watching this on the news. Glad all is well. Pretty scary stuff!! love ya siesta!
i probably shouldn't be reading this at 3:30 in the morning right before i go to bed!! lol...when i lived in chapel hill there was some sketch stuff that went down there too...not so much in our apartment parking lot though ;)
haha..hope tomorrow is a little less eventful!
That is scary! I really like your header. It's beautiful.
ummmm...so how are you??? You've dissappeared since the "lock down" Did they let you out??? HAHAHA!! Hope all is well girl..thinking of you!
I love you and I love how you tell the story of the blower man!!
I was SO glad to see you! Love you!
Post a Comment