Saturday, January 5, 2008

My Accident

A year ago today I was driving home from a splendid lunch with one of my good friends from school. She works and lives in the Woodlands, so instead of us meeting somewhere, I drove out there to eat with her. After lunch, she ended up taking off work and we hung out a little longer. It was a fun day...until my drive home!

That night we had a party to go to so I figured I should be getting going around 3:30ish or so. This way, since I was gonna be driving on I-45 and the Beltway, I would miss traffic and get home in time to be ready for the shin dig. (And, I was in my Mom's car, so I had to be home so we could all go in that!)

I was about 2 miles away from the EZ Tag (if you don't have one, you should really invest!) and really the roads were pretty clear. About 100 feet in front of me, to the left, one lane over, was an over sized truck. It wasn't quite an eighteen wheeler, but bigger than your average size truck. I guess it looked more like the size of a trash pick up truck, but really, that is beside the point. It had a tall brown fence around the cab and it was carrying tons of plywood. Normally, I would rather not be behind these things because they kind of freak me out, but I didn't think anything of it.

All of the sudden out of the corner of my eye I saw 2 huge pieces of plywood just whirling around in the air. My first thought was "oh no, oh no, oh no...these are not flying towards me!" Then, literally, in about 2 seconds I knew there was nothing I could do, so I braced the steering wheel and shut my eyes. (You have to remember that I am still going about 65 mph!) I felt the initial hit and then opened my eyes to see that I was completely stopped, on the freeway (I guess I took my foot of the pedal), could not see a thing, was covered in glass, and without even looking, crossed about 3 lanes to pull over to the side of the road. (Stupid, I know...but I was in shock!)

All I could think was "My mom is gonna be so mad at me, I just wrecked her car!" I know that really, that was so far from the truth, there was nothing I could do. So, I called my Mom. I wasn't crying or anything but was so still in shock that I could barely tell her what happened. In the meantime, while talking to her, one of the pieces of plywood (because remember there was 2 pieces) was still laying on my hood and every time someone drove by, it would teeter. I just knew that it was going to fly off my car, hit someone else, and then a whole train wreck would happen.

My mom thankfully has On star, so she told me to call them. I did and was so grateful. They knew exactly where I was (to the tee) and told me they would get someone out there asap. The lady even told me she would stay on the line with me if I wanted. I was okay though, because I was still talking to my mom.

Once I hung up with the lady I think the tears finally came. I was in the car, covered in glass, scared the wood was gonna fly off my car, and just waiting for ANYONE to stop and help me. No one bothered. Not even the man whose wood hit me, he had absolutely NO idea anything happened. I remembered I had my camera with me, so I decided to take pictures to give me something to do.

Finally, a police man showed up, called for more back up and was able to help me. I explained to him everything that happened. He got me out of the car, brushed all the glass of me with a special glove and then waited with me for my mom to get there. During that time 2 more cops showed up and also questioned me.

The lady cop proceeded to tell me that it was my lucky day. She told me that really the wood should have come completely through my window and hit me, then initially killing me. The other cops agreed. I stood there in sheer amazement. They couldn't figure out why it didn't go all the way through the window.

People asked me if I told them (the police) it was because the Lord truly had his hand over me and his angels were all over me. My answer to that is no. I was so stunned I didn't say one word. I do know this to be true though. The Lord did have his hand all over this and protected me in greater ways than I can imagine. For that I am so grateful. I look back and think about how much worse this could have been. But it wasn't. I walked away from the wreck with a few scratches, some glass in my hair and that is all. I also walked away with a greater understanding of the Lord we serve. It's the little things. I was supposed to drive my car, but my Mom wanted me to take hers. (I drive a little car, her is big!) I didn't have my sun glasses, but my Moms old ones were in the car, so literally, right before everything happened I put them on. He even cared about the little things.

He IS far greater than all of our circumstances. Praise Him!










16 comments:

Traci Anne said...

PRAISE. THE. LORD. I got chills during that story and the pictures. Thank goodness you're okay!!!!!!

Birdies said...

I remember when this happened and I continue to praise the Lord for protecting you. Apparently you're still needed here on earth to accomplish His will for your life... AND THANK-FUL-LY! What would we do without our Lindsee Lou?!

Angela Baylis said...

Thank you, God for taking care of our Lindsee! So scarey and traumatic! He is SO good!
Much love to you, sweetie!
Angie xoxo

Holly said...

Oh gracious--thank you Jesus!

He knows the plans He has for Lindsee, plans to prosper her and not harm her, plans to give Lindsee a hope and future! Thank you Lord for Lindsee and guarding the way that she takes. Amen.

Profbaugh said...

Okay, I'll play the stupid professor here. What's an EZ Tag??

~Cheryl (the prof)

NYC said...

Wow, God definitely was watching over you!

Janelle and Ella said...

Oh my goodness, Lindsee!! That is the craziest story. Wow, what a testimony.

Heather said...

So glad that you made it through ok! What an amazing testimony of God's care and hand in our lives.

By the way ... my best friend lives in the Woodlands. reading those words made me want to go visit!

mandy said...

oh wow........ wow

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

praising Him!!!

love, Leigh

Fran said...

"Thank you Jesus for sparing this sweet girls life and protecting her!" I've been there too.

Big hugs~
Fran

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

What a story Linds...whoa!
God's Hand was on you...
how that didn't go through
your windshield is AMAZING...
SIMPLY AMAZING...
so grateful to HIM for you then and now...

Missy said...

Thank you so much for your sweet comment! I am just getting into this blogging thing and LOVING finding blogging friends.

You are going to LOVE the Firstborn series. I was so addicted -I couldn't stop!!! I feel like I am a Baxter... or at least a wanna be. ha ha!

Would definitely love to meet up at bible study sometime to do the plate exchange. :) Enjoy your orientation - can't wait to hear stories about your class you are working with! Yes- I do teach K...it's a blast, but also why I am heading to bed now that it is 9:00!

connorcolesmom said...

Oh your story gives me the goose bumps!!
I am so glad that you were ok!
God is so good about covering all the details some that we will never know about unti HEaven.
I actually had an accident similar to yours when I was a sophomore in college. I was driving my mom's car and was on the interstate traveling to meet a friend for dinner. It was at night and was raining. I was behind a semi truck and decided to pass him on the right hand side. Once I was about midway beside his trailer he started to come over. HE clipped the back of my car causing me to spin and I headed straight for the truck. The last thing I saw was the trailer coming right at me and thinking "I am about to be decapitated!!"
I opened my eyes on the shoulder of the road facing the correct way of traffic completely unharmed. My car should have gone under that semi and I should have been killed but God had bigger plans for me and they did not end that night.
Thank God that He is bigger than anything that comes our way!!!
Love ya,
Kim

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I teared up reading that, as it brought back memories of a similar incident. I was 16 at the time. My brother and I were driving an hour away to spend the week with my cousins. A car was in front of my and ran over a LOG of al things. Then what happened was all in slow motion, I could see the log fly into the air and then come back down. It came through my windshield and landed directly between my brothers knees (not touching him somehow). Like you, I was in shock and being an inexperienced driver I didnt know what to do. I feared if I stopped I too would cause another accident. I kept driving, albeit very slowly with glass piece by piece coming into the car. Cars passed my looking with shock. I got off at the next exit whihc was shortly up the freeway. These were the days before cells and onstar. I called my mom, no one home. Then I tried my dad and got him. After I made the call and came back, sat in the car and sobbed uncontrollably. My dad came and picked us up. I still get emotional at the thought of if I had gove any faster or slower what the result have been. The log (a big one) was inches by speed from hitting my brother in the head. The Lord was with us that day, as he was with you. Praise Him! Glad you are ok.

ocean mommy said...

That gave me chills. Praise the Lord for his protection!!!

blessings
stephanie