Saturday, April 26, 2008

Barbie Has A New Boyfriend

This past week "my" precious little cherub's were learning about the -en word family. For those that are confused, this would be words like hen, ben, jen, then, when, and so on. You get the point. Teaching word families is always humorous because they never fail to come up with the most random words.

Normally, we have them brainstorm words, then we read a book about those words and then we move on in the lesson putting those words in sentences and such.

During the brainstorming phase they were having a problem coming up with some of the words.

My teacher asked them what Barbie's boyfriend was named? Each of them had the most puzzled expression on their face and sat silent. She kept saying, "You know, Barbie's boyfriend. Back when I played with barbies she had a boyfriend!" I completely agreed, but still, complete silence. We figured that clearly we were out dated because know one knew Barbie's boyfriends name.

Finally, after some more awkward silence, one of our little boys shouted out "ELVIS!"

Immediately we started laughing. First of all, Elvis has nothing to do with the -en word family. And secondly, where in the world did he come up with Elvis?

I guess Barbie and Ken broke up.

Rumors has it there was a scandalous affair.

9 comments:

beckyjomama said...

My Barbie's boyfriend's name isn't in the -en family either.

MY Barbie hung with a "real man" ... G.I. Joe!

So, you see, tha scandal was only one in a long line of affairs...

Missy said...

LOVE IT! I am kicking myself for not blogging about more of these stories the past few months. I tend to forget them. I always said I would start a classroom journal, but seriously - no time for that!

Unknown said...

Barbie is no longer with Ken?

Since When?

Who is she with now, then??

I'm gonna go sit in my Den.

And write a story with my pen.

Hallelujah and Amen!

Love, JEN :)

Erica said...

That's hilarious! So precious! Thanks for the good laugh. Have a wonderful weekend!!

Kelli said...

LOL! I miss those kind of moments from teaching!

Angela Baylis said...

Soooo funny, Lindsee! Oh my goodness---Elvis? Haha
Hope you are well today!
Love,
Angie xoxo

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Oh hilarious!!! I wish I had done word families with my 4-year-old bi-lingual class this week---that would have been sweet! And I learned this week that you say, that's cold when you mean it's hot. You rock Linds! I could already do a journal on the classroom from just one week like the teen who hid in the "box" and I thought I lost him. Or the kid hanging from the jungle gym by his shoelace and I had to cut him down or the kid who tied the hood of his jacket to the crotch of his pants in the bathroom in multiple knots...or the kid who tied his shoes together during nap and tried to get up...or the kid who unscrewed the table during naptime and kaboom! All in one day! Then comes, lice check! OOHHH! I think subbing is like being a grandparent---you get to give them back. Sorry this is so long...I came by to say thank you and you give so much of His Life away!
Adorable post! Elvis!!!!! LOL

Dana said...

I always heard Elvis had a thing for blonds....
Love,
Dana

Fran said...

Hilarious! Barbie and Elvis...I had no idea! :)