Thursday, April 8, 2010

Eyebrow Catastrophe

Back in the day I had what I like to call an eyebrow affliction. The tweezers were unfortunately my BFF and we had an undying love. We spent many hours together lying on my bed plucking practically every eyebrow in sight using my tiny little hand held mirror.

I think the obsession with my eyebrows started young as I resembled Brooke Shields in her prime, yet I wasn’t near as attractive as she.

In fifth grade I took a razor to my unibrow, which we all know is an eyebrow tragedy. To my mom’s horror, I walked down stairs to proudly show off my new look. It was then that she saw my eyebrows were the size of a #2 pencil mark. It was bad. Very bad. I’m not sure what it is about the hair on my face that I’m so enthralled by. It’s quite the mystery!

My eyebrow sickness continued well into college until I decided it was time for some eyebrow therapy. Seriously, if counseling would have been offered for this type of sickness, I would have been the first to sign up.

About the time I started taking accutane, I decided as well to go on an eyebrow plucking strike. I wouldn’t take a tweezer to my face if my life depended on it. I needed to reclaim my eyebrows for myself in a bad way! Talk about a time in my life when I felt not the tiniest ounce of self-confidence or attractiveness at all. It was a humbling few months, to say the least. Nothing but honesty, folks.

After nine months of accutane, and a huge dose of patience, my face looked normal again. It’s pitiful that this sounds like an awful “Your face!” joke. Feel free to laugh. Please. I laugh about that time in my life constantly. I finally had normal eyebrows and my face was as clear as crystal.

Since then I’ve not had near the infatuation with tweezers. The Lord broke me free of my tweezer addiction and I’ve truly never been more thankful.

A few months back I was at my parent’s house searching for something when I ran across a ton of my old pictures. I’ve also been a picture freak as long as I’ve lived and my boxes of photos did not disappoint. I scanned a few and since then they’ve been filed away into a folder on my computer until I resurrected them today. It was then that I realized what these pictures were worth. Not only are they middle school and high school oldies, but they are treasure and memories forever.

I would have no greater pleasure than if you would join me on a walk down memory lane.

I present to you, in no particular order, the bad eyebrow years.

You actually can't see my eyebrows here, but this was my graduation party. My parents small group has been in existence since I was born, and half of us graduated the same year so we had our party together. These were some of our decorations. Isn't that neat? What's even neater is that we're still all friends and love each other!

Prom! It was all about the poofy dresses that year.

Senior year D-Now. BFF's still.

Me and Jen at our Senior Send-Off.

Homecoming senior year! Jen, me and Sally. At least my eyebrows were dark.

Birthday celebration!

Cousins!

A serious lack of eyebrows! This was on the Ferris Wheel at Kemah. Can you believe I remember where these pictures were taken? Joanna, remember how we screamed the entire time?

Camp senior year in Colorado. That year our worship leader was David Crowder! Awesome!


Senior pictures!

This was FRESHMAN YEAR! Exactly 11 years ago.

Freshman year again! I didn't always have bad skin. Ha!

This was sophomore year volunteering at our fall festival. Clearly we were in over our heads. The eyebrows started making an appearance, but soon faded.

Into this! Sophomore year Christmas party. Mercy!

This was the night before Joanna got engaged. I had just started growing out my eyebrows! I think I was well into accutane then as well.

I'm surprised I graduated with such little eyebrows.

Prom!


If you enlarge this one you can see the teeny eyebrows! Shout out to Jaclyn who did my make-up. Love her!


Squinting appears to make the eyebrows appear smaller. Oh wait, I had no eyebrows!

Did my friends ever try to rescue me?! ;)



Senior year for some reason created a serious lack of eyebrows. Someone help a sister out!


The end.


Okay, so maybe this was a little more than an eyebrow shout out. It was a little walk down memory lane as well. I think it was fun! The blessing in it all? All these peeps are still my BFF's. I'm so grateful!

I hope you and your eyebrows have a fantastic Thursday evening. I don't even need to add a "now" picture as they've been normal for as long as I've blogged! Over three years! Praise be!

14 comments:

Jenny said...

Okay... the Fall Festival picture... did no one think to tell me I was too old for that fairy picture?!

These were fun.... i'm so glad we have so many pictures together. I love you. And I love your eyebrows.

Lord knows how many times Jo and I had to tell you to STOP

Samantha said...

Gurrl, you are so lucky they came back! I have to be super careful--my follicles aren't as friendly as yours!

John and Joanna said...

LKE!
Did you really act like no one EVER tried to stop you from your addiction?? Oh no mam!! I remember all the times as you would sit for hours on Pine Bush Drive plucking away...i would say "Linds i think you are good there girl"!!!!!!
Even though your eye brows were ever so short and plucked away...i still LOVED you beyond belief!!
Can we just say how fun those years were...how GOOD did we really have it...Saved By the Bell group :) I literally remember every picture and exactly where and why it was taken!!

I will love you forever...eye brow addiction or not!!! XOXO!

tara said...

hahaha. this post had me cracking up! who is that skinny boy front and center in the first picture?? :)

Jessica said...

haha I have SO been there! I probably won't ever forget the first time my eye brows were plucked! I spend the night at my friends house..went with "normal" eyebrows and came back with the tiniest eyebrows EVER! they were seriously pencil then- and my sister laughed at me. I did keep them tiny for a while because I couldn't stand how they looked growing out, but now I hardly ever pluck them!

Lindsey said...

One...I LOVE the new blog scheme!

Two...you are brave....so brave. I had something similar happen to my eyebrows in high school and whoa, girl. I don't want to be showing anybody those pictures!

Kelli said...

I LOVED THIS POST!! Mostly because I was the complete opposite! My mom told me to get my caterpillar eyebrows waxed and I said NO MAM! :)

Toknowhim said...

I like your new design... And you looked really pretty on Easter... I love your outfit.

So fun to walk down "Eyebrow" memory lane with you... I think it is cool to that you have your same friends...

Have a wonderful weekend..

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Loved looking at all your pictures....Great blog

Angela said...

Laughing at this post! ;-)

Ask Debra what Carly did to her eyebrows! Love that Carly! ;-)

Heather said...

I can not quite laughing!!!!!! It might take a moment to get this published. However I loved the walk down your memory lane, and all the old pictures are so fun!!! You girls are so young!!!

sanjeet said...

These were fun.... i'm so glad we have so many pictures together. I love you. And I love your eyebrows.
free classified india

Holly said...

Awesome photos, and LOL at the eybrow catastrophe! :O

sanjeet said...

. i'm so glad we have so many pictures together. I love you. And I love your eyebrows.
indian classified site