Currently I am living with one of my lifelong friends, Claire and our roommate Mandy, both of whom have a birthday this coming weekend. A 25th birthday nonetheless! Since Claire's hubby is serving in Iraq (hence why we're living with her) Mandy and I thought it would be fun to make a big to do about her birthday. Not only is it her 25th, but we wanted to bless her and show her how much we care about and love her since Russell can't celebrate with her this year. The other fact is that Russell and Claire share the same birthday, and it would be both of their golden birthdays. They'll both be turning 25 on April 25th! How fun is that?
All that to say, this past Saturday, Mandy and I, along with the help of her parents pulled off a surprise party for Claire at our house! Knowing that I would be in Atlanta this coming weekend we knew we couldn't do it the weekend of her birthday, and we also figured she would suspect less if we did it the weekend before her birthday.
However, she thought it would also be appropriate to celebrate the weekend before her birthday and tried to plan a birthday dinner at Taste of Texas this past Saturday evening, ruining all of our plans, but it ended up all working out in the end as far as "plans" were concerned.
Saturday afternoon Mandy and I frantically cleaned and "ran errands" all while Claire was grading away. I knew at that moment that she had no idea what was to come, or she'd of been cleaning with us. We then successfully got her out of the house before her big birthday dinner to go get mani's and pedi's and do a little shopping! I don't think deceiving her could have gone more perfect. Plus, we were all due for a pedi!
While the three of us were out pampering ourselves, her mom and sisters were at our house decorating away. Looking back I would have done things a little differently, but it all ended up perfect. All week long we'd been buying decorations and items for the party and stashing them away in Mandy's car. Mandy's mom also helped us a ton in that she kept the main dishes at her house and just baked them there. I'm telling you, without the help of the mom's, Mandy and I could never have pulled it off. I am so thankful for them!
Little did Claire know that while we were out and about, 30 people were arriving at the house ready to celebrate her. All day I was so nervous and anxious! I kept it pretty hidden, but I couldn't stop wondering how everything at the house was going. Mandy and I, even though we were together, texted back and forth all day as well. It was hilarious!
Finally six o'clock rolled around and we were headed back home to get ready for dinner. My palms were so sweaty and still, Claire had not a fat clue. Once we got to the door, I unlocked it and then stepped back. Claire gave me a weird look and headed inside to the roar of everyone crowded in the living room yelling, "Surprise!" She screamed, stepped back outside and asked who was in our house. It was classic!
She finally walked in and realized that it was her party! I'll never forget that fun little moment. It was perfect and could not have gone more smoothly.
We ate, celebrated, laughed, opened gifts and chatted the night away. The only downer was the fact that we actually didn't get to eat at Taste of Texas. However, we're planning a date there soon!
All in all it was a great evening and I think she felt blessed and celebrated beyond measure! I'm now thankful that I don't have to lie to her any longer or avoid talking about her birthday. Planning a surprise party is no small feat! But it's the best when it's a complete success, which it most definitely was!
The food table!
Dining room! Our decorations were all pink and black since pink is her favorite color.
It was a delicious meal! And we've got leftovers for at least a week.
My favorite part of this picture is one of her Sunday school friends is holding his wife's purse. You see it? I might get killed for posting this.
The birthday girl eating!
Claire's sister, Bonnie and her sweet family! Noah, her nephew, is quite the entertainer. Check out his lasagna face!
How cute is this sign? Perfect colors and perfect for Claire. She's a girly girl if you've ever met one. I love Hobby Lobby!
When you forget candles you have to improvise! Her sister made the fabulous cake. It was delicious!
I have to admit that this banner was my pride and glory. I'm admitting right now that I was way to proud about it! While I was making it I kept saying, "Pride comes before fall!" But seriously, how cute is it? It was perfect in her dining room.
Since she was turning 25, we had everyone bring 25 items of something. It was so fun! She got things like 25 starburst, paper clips (since she's a teacher), quarters, gift cards with $25 and some other creative things.
8 comments:
Wow, you are such a blessing to your friends! I can't wait to throw a party for one of mine now!
You are so much fun! I loved that y'all surprised her and pulled it all off so well. Awesome job on the banner!
Yes! I picture of her opening my present, I feel like I was there!
I'm lovin those cheesy photos of yall!
I love it!
You look so cute in that shirt, I did not!
I think Bonnie, Claire's sister is in my MOPS group! I can't quite tell from the picture!
What a good friend you are...and so crafty!
I've got my fingers crossed that I'll get to meet you in Atlanta this weekend!!
You are so much fun!
indian classified site
So glad you had a GREAT time in ATL!! Your friends look like a lot of fun!
Wanted to let you know that I gave your blog an award-Check it out here! Have a great weekend!!!
http://kimdavisblog.blogspot.com/
Girl, I love that we are life-long friends and that you have been here for me in SO many ways this year. You and Mandy's presence has helped make the past almost 8 months more than just bearable. I love you more than words can express!
Post a Comment