Friday afternoon I loaded seven high school seniors in what I like to call, the big ole’ mama suburban, and we headed to San Antonio for the weekend. It was an absolute blast! Seriously, can you believe I get to do this for a living? I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, someone pinch me.
A few highlights from the trip are:
1) The lack of Bluebonnets on I-10. Seriously, folks! It wasn’t so much of a highlight as it was a disappointment, but whoever spread the seeds, apparently forgot to spread them over I-10. This time of year their breathtaking, especially on a boring drive like San Antonio, but this drive we were taken by boredom.
2) Well, boredom isn’t the correct term as I did haul seven high school senior girls to San Antonio and the laughs and conversations are endless. It’s amazing what gets confessed when you have them trapped.
3) Speaking of conversations, that was the biggest highlight. Oh, I loved every minute of every conversation. Serious and mundane. They bless my heart! As much as I try to invest in them, they invest in me just as much, if not more. Not a minute spent with them is a minute wasted. If you’re looking to get involved in your church, look no further than the high school or college girls, I promise you won’t regret it.
4) Our picnic! Saturday afternoon we planned for a picnic at Brackenridge Park right next to the zoo and it was perfect. It was beautiful out, which made for a peaceful lunch! We also happened to be an attraction as every time the trolley drove by, we waived at them and they waived back at us. It was such a setup. People must think there is a picnic in that exact spot every Saturday.
5) We visited the Rivercenter Mall for a bit, and while there I played around, then purchased a $2 brown belt and $2 wallet. I’d say I scored.
6) Remembering the Alamo. You can’t visit San Antonio without remembering such a historic landmark. Of course, everybody’s mom was visiting as well. At least we got a nice lady to take our picture who told us it didn’t matter what our hair looked like! I, however, beg to differ. You can’t take a picture with hair in your face. Especially at a place you only visit every few years. That’s a tragedy. Thankfully, the wind stopped for 2.3 seconds for us to get a decent picture with the half the Alamo in it.
7) Playing the game Quelf. Have you heard of it? I actually did not play, but observed the three hour game and it was hilarious. I don’t even know how to explain it to you.
8) Eating dinner at Iron Cactus on the River Walk. It’s so tasty! All eight of us split fajitas which was perfect. The best part, however? We only had to wait 10 minutes. Score! When the rest of the river walk is easily an hour wait, you’re extremely thankful for a 10 minute wait. While waiting I was taking a picture of the girls, acting like their mother, when a sweet lady asked if I wanted to get in the picture with them! Of course I did, so I handed her my camera and at the exact time a man that was in their group hopped in our picture. It was hilarious. Come to find out, he was an Academy model. As in Academy Sports & Outdoors. Good times!
9) Seeing the Last Song with my girls. Every single one of us cried our eyes out! Good movie, but don’t see it if you’re seeking a good laugh. Thankfully we were prepared with a roll of toilet paper. No lie. We were also the only ones in the theater besides one other couple! I loved that!
10) Sweet conversation on my bed after the movie until 4:00 am Saturday night! Staying up that late is getting harder and harder to do, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.
11) Realizing this was our last big hoorah until they graduate come June. That realization makes me both sad and happy! Sad because it will be tough to see them leave, but happy because I’m so excited for them all to move on to their next chapter in life, college! I’m not going to lie, getting a new group of freshman girls next year is a little scary and a huge change for sure! But I know the Lord will prepare my heart and give me a love for them that I have for these girls.
However, these girls remind me constantly the shoes my next group has to fill. They think they’ve hung the moon, and frankly, so do I!
We'd made up an "itinerary" of sorts, and the day before we left I felt that it needed a cover sheet. I'm a huge dork, but somehow they still love me for me. Ha!

If you've not had a Beaver Nugget, you've not lived.

And now begins the picnic series!


Cuteness!



I'm the leader that lets her peeps climb trees.

And then they're not sure how to get down!


Joy had skill in taking this while she was in the tree. Maybe I shouldn't have admitted that.


Aren't we so grateful for timers on cameras?

This is called the run around crazy and pose! It's fun. You should try it.

Pre-jump position...

We have serious jumping skill. We did this with the timer! All I can say is, GO US!


The infamous elevator shot!

They clean up nice!

Remembering the Alamo!



I'm the most blessed of all! Love these girls to bits.

11 comments:
I've been lurking on your blog for a while and I just want to say that you are a real hero for your work with these young ladies! I've been doing some work with High School students at my church (a much SMALLER group!) so I know how hard it can be at times. But it is SO worth it! Bless you!
So glad you had a good time with your girls!! Looks like a blast, you blend in right with them! You are such a great leader Lindsee, they are lucky girls! love the pics!
Fun! Fun!
Love your necklace...I need one! ;-)
Happy week!
gosh that looks like a fun time!
Lindsee,
This makes me miss all my Siestas and brings back fond memories of 08
What a beautiful group of girls!
Confession: When we were in S.A. I did not make to the Alamo. :( Can you believe that?
Glad y'all had a fun trip.
So glad you had a good time with your girls!!
free classified india
I have to say that the jumping picture should be blown up really big and framed in your office. Thank you goodbye.
My hubby and I lead the small youth group at our church and I LOVE my girls! I was lucky to get them while they were in middle school, so I've got a few years left until they graduate. I know it'll be a bittersweet moment.
It's awesome to see how much you pour into their lives. They are lucky to have you!
I love reading your blog because I think we're so stinkin' similar. You're way cooler than me...but I have to think that if we lived closer to each other we would be great friends.
Praying for those girls as they prepare for the next step...and for you. It's hard seeing the groups move on...especially when you're as bonded as it seems y'all are.
Blessings and prayers,
Lindsey
Hi Lindsee! My husband and I talk about moving to Houston, Texas someday in the future, so I would like to know what church do you go to? Have a Blessed Day!
You are such a great leader Lindsee, they are lucky girls! love the pics!
indian classified site
Post a Comment