Thursday, September 16, 2010

Kickin' it Old School

Yesterday at work instead of tuning in to my favorite Pandora station all day, that which would be the Glee station, I was in the mood for some old school tunes. I'm not talking old school like The Beatles, James Taylor, Simon and Garfunkel or whatever might come to mind, I'm talking old school, what carried me through my Jr. High and High School years. We're talking only 10 - 15 years ago.

I was, and still am, a music freak. I love it. I don't just love it. I know it. I play it. I sing it. I appreciate it. It's a part of me and my family. I know I've mentioned time and time again that my mom is a piano teacher. I grew up going to church every Thursday night for choir and praise team rehearsal for my parents. I was also in the Houston Children's Chorus that left me little to no free time in Jr. High. You see where I'm going with this? It's who I am.

I'm also that type of person that gets hooked quickly to a song or artist, and listen to them until I'm blue in the face.

With that said, you can imagine that I also loved going to concerts. They were, and are still, so much fun.

Actually, just this week my friend Mandy emailed me to see if I wanted to go to see Carrie Underwood with her in a few weeks. It didn't take me two seconds to check my calender then respond with a resounding yes! I had forgotten she was coming to town, and Mandy happened to buy extra tickets, so I'm definitely looking forward to that. Who doesn't love Mrs. Carrie? She's a doll. Adorable. Likeable. And hasn't gone crazy. Plus, her albums are on my list of favorites. I'm so excited!

That got me thinking about some of my favorite concerts I've had the privilege of going to. Let's take a walk down concert row.

In Jr. High, my friend's mom worked for the rodeo, which meant that every year we pretty much got to see anyone that came to Houston. The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is huge, so they bring in awesome entertainers.

I've been to too many rodeo concerts to count, but I think my all time favorite was in eighth grade when we saw Shania Twain. She is small, yes, but a feisty little thing. All I'm saying is, homegirl can entertain. She did high kicks, had fireworks, and belted out notes you wouldn't think possible from her petite stature. It was a blast!

If my memory serves me correctly, this is pretty much what she wore and looked like at our concert 12 years ago.

Man! I feel like a woman. ;)


When I got to high school was when boy bands really started taking off again. Well, maybe a little before that, but it was then that I fell madly in love with the Backstreet Boys. I understand that NKOTB were before them, but I was too young to appreciate them in their prime. After a hiatus of no boy bands, Backstreet Boys came along. Before NSYNC. I'm not hating on NSYNC in any way, shape or form, but I preferred my boys over them. I think they were more musically talented. Of course, excluding Justin Timberlake. He is a rock star.

During my sophomore year they came to Houston on tour. I never planned on going because I think the tickets were expensive and well, I had no money. But after school the first day of their tour, my dad called my mom and told her to bring me down to his office because he found two tickets to the concert that night and wanted to surprise me! I was ecstatic! We had seats in the sixth row and I was certain I would faint. Talk about some good entertainers! They didn't stop to even breathe. I'll never forget at the beginning when they flew in over our heads on surfboard looking things. I was walking on cloud nine for weeks after this concert! It is up there on my favorites list.


Hello, Millennium album. We were BFF. Do you remember?


Moving on to quite possibly my very favorite group of all time. Please don't stone me when I tell you that I adore the Dixie Chicks. Yes, yes I do. Do I agree with what they did? Of course not. But did I threaten to burn their CD's? Well, that would be silly. I mean hello, they already had my money. I say let's not hate, just appreciate. Secretly I still with they were around. I miss their charm. Their music. Their harmonies. For the love, their harmonies. Their blend. Their all around awesomeness. I miss it. I still own every CD and pretty often I pop it in like nothing ever happened.

While in high school, I can honestly tell you that Jen and I did not miss seeing them one time when they were in Houston. Not once. Every time they came, we were there. I'm telling you, we were very faithful fans. We probably saw them a total of six or seven times. My favorite concert of theirs was actually when we went for Jen's birthday. Her dad generously bought a few of her friends very good seat and at one point Natalie Maines touched us. We freaked out.

You don't have to agree with me, but they are easily one of the most talented groups that have existed. They write their own music. They sing their own songs. And they play their own instruments. Easily put, they're talented. And can put on a mighty fine show!


Who didn't know every song on every album? This was their Wide Open Spaces album. Pure love.


There are many, many more artists and concerts that didn't make the cut. These are my top three.

Next up, Carrie Underwood. I'm sure I'll have a fun report after that one.

So tell me, what's been your favorite concert you've attended? And to stick with the theme, let's keep it old school here. I think this is so fun!

14 comments:

Erin said...

The BSB were definitely better than NSYNC. :-)

I didn't go to many concerts growing up, and if I did, they were often Christian groups. All Star United, Newsboys, and The Katinas concerts were memorable. Waaay back when, my parents took me to a Steve and Annie Chapman concert. I don't know if anyone would even know who they are anymore, but my 5-year-old self had a lot of fun that night!

Heather said...

Oh Shania and the Dixie Chicks. I stopped liking the DC went they went overseas to London and bashed President Bush!! Well Natalie anyways!! You are probably too young to remember Boyz II men, right?!? I did like N'SYNC and New Kids and well all the boy bands! HA!! Love this post, so fun!!

The Johnsons said...

I, too, saw the Dixie Chicks before all their drama went down. Another old school favorite concert - Huey Lewis and the News. Yes, ma'am. It was fun times!

Ashley McWhorter said...

LOVE the Dixie Chicks! When I lived in Nashville, I went with some friends to a 'concert in the park' type thing. There was this unknown group that hadn't quite made it big...yet! Well, they had some flyers floating around, and it mentioned some up and coming band. Well, it was them! I still have that flyer and it is signed by the girls. So fun!!

Callie said...

such a fun post! Just so you know, I grew up listening to James Taylor...my dad is the biggest fan!!!

Ashley said...

My very first concert was a Summer Music Mania concert with my bestie! It was headlined by *NSYNC (our favorites!), and others were Jordan Knight, Shanice, 3rd Storee, and several other people I can't remember. It was awesome!

jennyhope said...

um I really wanted to be Shania! LOL LOL

Raven said...

alright so i'm gonna go ahead and go against you right here and say that i absolutely LOVED *n sync and was probably their biggest fan.. and never missed a single concert! i was also a huge new kids on the block fan when i was little so the *n sync concert that had my favorite new kid jordan knight opening was my fav... UNTIL i went to the new kids first reunion tour! BEST CONCERT EVER! i'm obviously really cool and love boy bands.. but that's why you love me! =)

Jennifer said...

I think I might have gone to 1 concert when I was little at the rodeo, but for the life of me I can't remember it. However, I did love me some New Kids and also my friends and I really loved George Strait. He might be "old" now, but I still think he is sooo handsome!

Jen-Jen said...

LOVE this post, mostly because i had all of the cd's listed- especially appreciate shania and the dixie chicks. pretty sure i was at that same rodeo for shania and i agree, i think she wore the same outfitt that is on the album cover. love and miss you- we need a date soon!

btw my first concert was Jonathan Pierce. haha

Kristin said...

I am new reader of your blog and have been a phantom/non commenting reader up until now....thank you, thank you, thank you for the new Pandora suggestion, I just love it!! I recently relived my younger years by going to the 'New Kids on the Block' concert when it came through our city. I even crimped my hair... shameless FUN!! Rodeo and Fair concerts are the best. Saw Kenny Chesney one year WOO HOO!! This post was fun!! And I oh so love many of your others posts!!

Lauren said...

Oh my word, I am soooooo jealous!!!!!!! I’ve always wanted to see Carrie Underwood in concert!!!!! And so funny you should mention the Dixie Chicks because I just pulled their CD out last week and I hadn’t listened to that them in sweet forever!! They really did have some good music!!!

Deidre said...

You just reminded me of several songs/artists I love, but have forgotten :)

Joy said...

You were in the Houston Children's Chorus?!?!? So was I!!! I can so relate to the not having much time in Junior High line because of it! I got to sing at Carnage Hall with them and Steve called me the "mouth of the south" Yup, I always got in trouble for talking but LOVED every second of it!