Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Sense of Entitlement

This past weekend we had youth worker training. It comes around once a year before we kick off all our major ministries and it's always a fruitful time of spending time with the Lord, discussing plans, calendars, events, and very importantly, maybe even most importantly, discussing culture updates.

I'd say anyone that loves Jesus, wants to make Him known and has a heart to serve young people is qualified to be a youth worker, but at the same time, there is a responsibility and point of anxiety for a lot of our workers that they won't relate with the students well. Honestly, it is tough sometimes, because even since I've been out of high school, which is only seven years, times have changed dramatically.

Take for instance the cell phone issue. I was 16 when I got a cell phone merely for the fact that I was driving.

Nowadays, third graders have iPhones. We weren't even aloud to bring ours into school while today they just aren't supposed to have them out. The rules have changed. Times have changed. Technology has changed. And rest assured, it will only keep changing and at a very rapid speed.

Hence whey we go over culture issues constantly with our workers.

At one point we broke up into Girl's Ministry and Guy's Ministry. It's so effective because there are certain issues that need to be addressed separately.

Although I'll just flat out tell you that you'd be naive and silly to think that our girls aren't dealing with issues of sexual immorality, lust, p*rn, or everything that comes with that. Oh, it's scary and so true. It's not just a "guy’s problem." It's out there, folks. And quite honestly, it's everywhere.

Anyway, that was a complete side note, but absolutely worth noting.

During my conversation with the ladies, the topic of entitlement came up.

My blood pressure tends to rise at this issue, because it's huge. Our girls these days have such an issue with entitlement that it's scary.

If you don't know the definition of entitlement, let me refresh your memory.

In a casual sense, the term "entitlement" refers to a notion or belief that one (or oneself) is deserving of some particular reward or benefit.

Another definition uses the word "rights."

Let me say this, I want my girls to know and believe with all their heart that they are a daughter of the King. Because they are. I long for them to grasp the Truth that if they are in Christ they are not only redeemed, but also set free. They are changed. Yes, if they are in Christ they are entitled to Love, Grace and Mercy, but only because of Jesus Christ.

They did nothing to deserve that except surrender their hearts to Jesus, in which God gets every ounce of Glory.

However, in this "princess" generation, our girls downright think they deserve everything. They deserve to be popular. They deserve to have the nicest clothes. The nicest shoes. A cell phone. The perfect college. A credit card. A gas card. A car. A handsome boyfriend that bows to them. A loving husband. A starter home. A child. A move. A nice one carat size diamond. And so on and so forth.

Obviously I've added things that go beyond middle school or high school, but isn't it true of us, too? How pitiful are we?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you and I are entitled nothing. Zip. Nada. Zero.

Yes, those are all sweet blessings and we can’t discredit the One who’s allowed us those things, but we’re not entitled to them, nor are they are reward.

Only by the Grace of God are most of us even living the American Dream.

To be very frank, I am so tired of this mentality. So tired of this being fed to our girls. The issue gets bigger and bigger as they get older.

I'm not a parent. But I still want the best for the girls I serve. But I know that their best is whatever God gives them. Everything they think they have the best of, God only has better, yet we miss it so often because we're selfish human beings.

I don't know how you were raised. I don't know your story. I only know mine.

Even when it stinks or hurts, I'm so grateful the Lord has taught me this lesson first hand. There have been millions of times that I think I deserve this or that because of what I've done for Him or do for Him, or sacrifice for him. Puke. The thought makes me sick. Since when was I entitled to tell Him what I do and don't deserve?

Since when did my sacrifices become an issue of not loving Him, but only to gain something?

Yes, I have very loving parents who have provided for me in endless ways. But I don't think they ever went overboard with me. No, I did not get everything I wanted.

If you could have known how bad I wanted a hot pink pager you would laugh at me. Did I get it? Heck no.

Or how about that Barbie Jeep? Nope.

How about that boyfriend? That date? That internship? Nope. Nope. Nope.

The last thing I want you to think is that I've mastered the entitlement phase. Because no, I have not. There are still so many things I think I'm entitled to, but I really know better.

Jesus provides for me. And what He provides is, and should be, enough.

This topic has stirred with me for about a year. This is not fresh on my mind. I'm just so passionate to see our girls truly have their desires fulfilled by the One and Only. Not by technology or the next best coach purse. Or being the colonel on their drill team. Or having that perfect relationship. It's all a lie. A big, fat lie.

And we'll never measure up. We'll never have enough if we feel we're entitled to this or that. Our cravings will only worsen.

Our reward is Jesus. He decides what our reward will be. He tells us that time and time again. The benefit? Having a living, thriving, life changing relationship with Him.

“After this, the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision: "Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward.” Genesis 15:1

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” Colossians 3:23-25

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Ooh, girl, my toes are hurting! Great post.

Regan said...

Awesome post Lindsee! It speaks so much truth.

Erin said...

(Standing up and clapping.) Great post, Lindsee. I needed to hear this! Just yesterday I was throwing a temper tantrum with God because life wasn't turning out the way I thought it should. Silly me!

Lauren said...

Hi Lindsee,

You don't know me, but I found your blog online and have been reading it. Thank you for this post, it has so much truth in it!

Anonymous said...

thank you for speaking truth! I needed this reminder. I have been holding on so tightly to the familiar - and you've reminded me I'm not entitled to even that. God is pulling me out of my comfort zone in ways I cannot understand, and having read this post will help me remember it's only by His grace I have a comfort zone to begin with! thank you Lindsee!

Crissy Smothers said...

WONDERFUL post! Thank you...THANK you..THANK YOU for that!!

Lindsey said...

Oh, friend. It seems that I use the entitlement word at least weekly, and not just for my younger girls. It's something that my friends and I struggle with too. Keep writing what's on your heart, because more times than not it's JUST what I need to hear!

Elizabeth said...

SO TRUE!!! AMEN!!
I wanted so much to communicate this to the high schoolers I taught two years ago. It's becoming so much more prevalent in American and becoming so frightening!