Thursday, February 25, 2010

From The Mouths of Sixth-Grade Girls

I’m just going to lay it all out there. As much as I love working with my High School girls and leading my senior girl’s small group, there is something about Middle School girls that is so very intriguing. I think it’s their level of brutal honesty that I’ll never get over. They speak what’s on their mind with no hesitation whatsoever. It’s kind of refreshing, if I’m being completely honest. They’ll ask any question they have, say any thought they’re thinking, and cry at any given moment.

Granted, I know most of this is due to their lack of maturity, but nonetheless, it’s very entertaining and refreshing at best.

Once the girls get into High School, automatically self-consciousness grips them and suddenly they become very quiet and reserved, afraid of being judged on every word they speak, ask, or think or even the way they dress, or even sadder, their personality.

But, that’s another topic for another day.

The reason I’m really blogging is because last night I witnessed some of the most hilarious conversations that I feel so compelled to share with y’all.

I was elated to visit the 6th grade girl’s small group and it was exhilarating to say the least.

Please humor me as I recount to you the funniest conversations of the evening.

On discussing about God being omniscient:

Girl #1: What does that mean?
Girl #2: It means that God knows everything! He like even knows if you’re going to trip on your way out to the car. (Yes, that’s exactly what I was thinking.)
Girls #1: Oh, so does that means He knows if I’m going to be famous?
Girl #2: Um, yeah, He totally does.
Girl #3: Yeah, God is like super smart.

What I wanted to add to that was that He also knew that Nordstrom Rack would open today in Houston, which is why He may or may not have blessed us with a sunny, beautiful day. Jesus loves US, this I know.

On animals going to heaven:

Girl #1: My cat just died, is he in heaven, or you know, down there? (Pointing to the floor.)
Girl #2: Oh! Me too! My dog just died! My mom told me she’s in heaven!
Girls #3: (To me and no one else) Yeah, my sister had two mice and they both just died. I think it would be really neat for her to see them in Heaven again. She would love that!

Y’all, if seeing our dead pet mice in heaven is as excited as we can get, that’s pretty sad. I think once I get to heaven I won’t even remember that I once owned to mice. Ew.

All joking aside, we did try to explain to them that animals are here for our enjoyment and we’re supposed to take care of them, but at the same time, they don’t have a soul. Some of the girls totally got it, but some of the girls looked as confused as Ellen on American Idol.

They were seriously cracking me up. I may visit every week just for some comic relief. How can you not love that?

Fortunately, I didn’t laugh once, but scribbled it all in my brain so I’d remember to blog, twitter and facebook about it. Which is now what I’ve successfully done.

Of course, this was all said after they once said to me upon my wearing my tall black boots to church one day that I looked like a giant.

I wasn’t sure how to take it. Yes, to them I may be a giant. They come up to my knee. But do you have to tell a girl that?

Way to bust this girls self-confidence right when I was finally accepting the fact that I was indeed a tall giant.

Maybe I should go back to 6th grade so I can cry about it and no one would make fun of me.

Or maybe I just need to continue reading So Long, Insecurity.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Agh, gotta love 6th grade girls! I love middle school (or junior high in Katy), yes I do! Well, I hated it actually, but love teaching it!

fuzzytop said...

This is waaaaaayyyy too funny! Gotta love those girls!

Adrienne

Jen-Jen said...

hahaha! I seriously laughed out loud like 3 times when reading this! I love middle school girls! They said some crazy stuff when I taught middle school girls sunday school last year.I also love your reference to Nordstrom Rack- God would definately give you a sunny day for that! We have one in Dallas-LOVE IT!

Angela said...

Laughing....
God is Super smart! ha ;-)