Monday, February 15, 2010

It's A Blessing That I Don't Know What I'm Missing

Every single holiday or birthday that roles around I deal with a sense of excitement, but also with a sense of discouragement and sadness, if I'm being completely honest.

Excitement because I love a good holiday with all my sweet family and friends alike. And believe me, I've been blessed with some of the best! I'm naturally a happy, sanguine person, so those days just increase my annoyingly happy personality.

However, discouragement and sadness because a part of me longs so deeply to be spending that day with my husband-to-be.

It's that time in my life when most of my best friends are happily married and always endure the stresses of having to split their holidays between each family. Most people think I'm living up the single life with all of my other single friends, but the truth is, the single friends are few and far between. And those of my closest friends that are single, don't live in Houston. Part of that is due to the fact that my job has different demands not allowing for tons of "single" time, and part of that is just the fact that almost all of my friends are married. Not complaining, just stating the obvious facts.

However, there are those rare gut wrenching moments that I'd love to be the girl that has to split her time between two families. That would love to come home to my man waiting for me to cook him dinner. That would love flowers on Valentine's Day or for no reason at all. That would love to email him during the day on a whim to see how it's going. Or that would look forward to getting butterflies in my stomach upon seeing him.

I know I'm probably making it sound so much more romantic than it really is, but the blessing in all of this is that I don't know what I'm missing.

And honestly, I think that is the biggest blessing of all.

There are many days that I wish I knew what it was like to be asked on a date. To be pursued. To be cherished by one man. To get a sweet little gift on Valentine's Day or Christmas.

But at the same time, I'm grateful I don't know what it's like, even at the age of 24, because I truly don't know what I'm missing out on. I'm not one that can say, "I don't know what I've got till it's gone.", because nothing is gone.

I think that's such a sweet blessing from God, because when I'm not one to guard my heart all the time, or even the best at guarding my heart, He's guarding it for me in this way. I'm positive that if I knew what I was missing out on, I'd struggle even more with this season of singleness. Maybe the Lord knows that (I mean, of course He knows that) and maybe that's why I haven't been blessed with a man yet. He does know what my heart can and cannot handle.

Before each holiday, I've started praying (sometimes with tears) that the Lord would allow me to enjoy that day more than me dwelling on the fact that I'm without. And every Holiday, He has not disappointed. He will never fail me and most importantly, I know He hasn't forgotten me.

God's always been so sweet to send little blessings and reminders my way that He cares about my heart, more so than any other man ever will.

This Valentine's Weekend it came in the form of a fun Saturday with some sweet friends. Best friends and blogging friends. And a fun Sunday spent with some of my favorite senior girls watching a movie and the Olympics, with some tear-inducing laughter to go along with both.

It came in the form of Red Velvet cake all over my hands, a sweet little reminder that I got to show a little 5 year old how to make them, all while learning how to make them myself.

It came in the form of little Mollie Kate's smile. The little girl who made my day!

It came in the form of a fun morning with these girls and fun lunch with my BFF over Chinese food, of course.

And lastly, it came in the form of roses from my Dad and a hilarious card from my parents, and a card from my aunt.

Oh, how He loves us so.

And to this single girl, it's a blessing that I don't know what I'm missing. Because thankfully, I'm not missing the greatest Being that will ever love me.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

you amaze me

Brittany said...

Ok, I came across your blog from Amanda's. I think I read it a while back. From what I've read we have a very similar story. I did Girl's ministry for 3 years in Dallas. I so know what it's like to not get to spend a ton of time with single people your own age. It's hard to meet someone to date when you are only around minors! ha!
And I'm 25 and still single. Everyone says it's a blessing... but some days it just seems like a curse. But there are those days that I am actually so grateful for where I am in life. I'm just praying that I don't focus so much on where I want to be that I completely miss out on what God has for me right now.
Recently, one of my previous students got engaged. She was in the first class of girls I had when I first got into ministry.... seriously, Lord?!?! That was hard. But there's a lot of beauty on this road.... or so I've been told. And I am super excited for her.
I always said I wanted a real "Love story" more of a "God Story" really, when it comes to me and my future man. I just want the only explanation of how we happened to be that it was the Lord.

Sorry for rambling! I just so know where you are coming from! Do you pray every holiday that this will be the LAST one you have to spend alone??? Or is that just me :) haha!

Kelli said...

You are a gem my dear!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post. Christian Mingle is a great website for meeting some quality, godly men. Thought I'd share this site because it's been a source of encouragement to me when I was wondering "are there any more godly men left in the world?" May the Lord bless you! Rebecca :)

Ivy said...

lindsee, i feel the exact same way. and the fact that we have waited and waited and waited is uncommon. and i think He likes it that way:)

i have ALWAYS wanted my future husband to be from somewhere else, for me to meet him at an unexpected time..like a women's conference of all places, and for our story to be nothing other than our Heavenly Daddy looking out for us. its a beautiful thing.

my heart beats faster just thinking about that day! :)

Vivian said...

I always love reading your blog becuase its so honest and real. This time of the year when people celebrate Valentines day and what not is always a time for excitement for me but also a time I wish I had someone in my life to share it with. I trust the God being the giver of amazing gifts has a really awesome man in store for you. I have to encourage myself sometimes as well..its hard out there for a a single chick, lol. Remain blessed.

debra parker said...

I am so glad that you write all this stuff out...

You will be able to see just how your prayers were answered. Maybe a book in the making.

Jenna said...

Girl, thank you SO much for sharing this! It was like I was reading my own thoughts - except a lot more eloquent! You are priceless, my dear!

twinkle said...

Lord God, will you please guard Lindsee's heart until the moment comes for her to release it to the man you have planned for her to live out her life with, from beginning to end. Let him be faithful and true, just like YOU! Give him eyes to see the GIFT Lindsee is to him. Hide their hearts in Your Heart until the moment You fulfill their prayer in each other's chance encounter brought together by Your Divine Destiny. Just like a baby takes nine months to develop, and how we must be patient in those nine months...not hurrying Your plan...until it is TIME...let Lindsee be patient. And her future husband, too. Asking excitedly in Jesus Name. Amen.

I love you sweet Houston tour guide! Miss you and Pappasito's!

Nicole said...

yes it is girl, yes it is. :)

Jen-Jen said...

i.love.you.
i honestly will be happier for you on your wedding day than any other person on the planet. i can't wait for you to share your letters, prayers and blogs with him. He is going to be amazing. He is waiting for you and God's timing. I just know it. Your words have always been your greatest way to encourage and i love that. i love you bestie!

Heather said...

oh girl, this brought tears to my eyes and not just cause you mentioned my girls. You have a heart of gold and one day some boy is going to win the lottery when he asks you to marry him. God is going to bless you in leaps and bounds by your obedience!! Love you friend and pray for you!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through Kelly's Korner. I love this post! Thank you so much for pointing out that blessing of waiting: I don't have any idea what I'm missing. I'm 19 and still haven't even been on my first date, but I am waiting as patiently as I can manage it, and He is giving me the strength to wait even more patiently.

Jessica said...

I came across your blog from Kelly's Show Us Your Life post! Love it- def going to start following you! (:
I feel the EXACT same way!
I'm a 22 year old girl flyin' solo, praying every day for my future husband! But it gets really hard to be patient when most of my girl friends are in long-term relationships...

I don't know if you have heard of the book "A Man Worth Waiting For" but I did a few posts on my blog as I was reading it and it really made me think- I realized that I needed to really reflect the qualities in myself that I am looking for in a man.
I need to be a woman worth waiting for!
So, for now I'm trying to focus less on the fact that I'm still single and more on trying to get my life in order with what God wants for me and then hopefully everything will fall into place..


ha, I agree with Brittany- every holiday I think "maybe next year I'll have someone to spend it with!"

Anonymous said...

I came to your blog from Kelly's Korner. What a great reminder! I am still single...having never had a boyfriend or even really dated...and am 30. I will definitely come back again to read more. Blessings to you!

Anonymous said...

My friend showed me your blog and it really blessed me. THANKS!!! Being 24 and single really isn't fun and yet I know that it is a gift from God. Our day will come and it will be amazing!

Krystal said...

Hi Lindsee! I wanted to let you know I was encouraged by this post. I actually "stumbled" across your blog a few weeks ago and enjoy reading it (I really hate how totally creepy that makes me sound). :) Anyways, I can so identify with this post about it being a blessing that you don't know what you're missing in being single. I'm 21 and I'm about to graduate college in May and I too have never dated anyone. I am applying to go over seas and do missions when I graduate and I can so see how the Lord has kept me single to prepare me for this. I long to be married and be a mom someday, but I'm confident that if I did know what exactly I was missing, it would be that much harder to live in another country for 2-3 years as a single woman. The Lord certainly is faithful and extending us much grace in singleness!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that I found your blog on Kelly's Korner!

I am right down the road from you, in College Station. I am 26 years old and have never even been on a date or been kissed! The world has this powerful way of making you think that there is something wrong with you if you do not have a boyfriend and it is easy to get frustrated with God at times and ask why you haven't had the dating opportunities that others have had. I think you are right though.... I think it would be worse if I knew what I was missing out on..... God is faithful, and has a plan for us! (Jer. 29:11)....even if it isn't exactly what we would have planned for ourselves :)

Anonymous said...

I found you via Kelly's Korner and what an encouragement this post was. I too was reminded this Valentines Day of what a wonderful God we have. Sounds like you had a beautiful day :)

Blessings.

Katherine said...

looks like you were hanging out with some UK fans!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE your blog. Thank you for speaking the truth.