However, her email wasn’t just to tell me she’s leading a small group. Really, she had a question for me. A question that was so appropriate and encouraging that I thought I share it with y’all.
My next meeting with my group is right before Valentine’s Day. I know Valentine’s Day can be a source of sadness for some when they are single...not always, but for some yes. Is there anything you can suggest that I could do for the ladies of my group that might bring them a smile...encourage them to stay strong and love God?
Seriously, how sweet is she to want to love them so well, point them to Christ, and encourage their hearts on a day that can be truly depressing to a girl that is surrounded by love but has no physical man to show her that love? So thoughtful. I shared with her a few things that have been an encouragement to me over the past few years, and just things that go through a singles girl’s mind, things they wish someone would do for them.
Here’s the deal, I don’t despise Valentine’s Day at all. But it’s also not my favorite day of the year. I am a hopeless romantic at best, so for me sometimes it’s fun to just watch what goes on around me as far as romance is concerned. But at the same time, it’s nice to know that someone, male or female alike, loves and cherishes you as well.
If you have a daughter, or a single friend, or you lead a small group, or you work with college girls, or single girls, or whatever, I hope these will be helpful to you as you minister to them on what can be a very SAD (Singles Awareness Day) day.
1) Acknowledge them! Listen, we’re single. Enough said. So to point it out in a loving, encouraging way isn’t such a bad thing. The last we want is for people to ignore the current season we are in. The truth is, it is just a season, so this too shall pass! Amen!
2) There is nothing sweeter on Valentine’s Day than to get a card from a friend, mom, or mentor wishing you a Happy Valentine’s Day. It’s encouraging knowing that you are not forgotten and that you are indeed, treasured, cherished and loved deeply. Especially when other friends or girls are being showered with gifts from the men in their life, it’s sweet to be showered with love from people that you know care about you.
3) Send them a little note or post through facebook on Valentine’s Day. Seriously, folks! I know that sounds so petty and easy, but it’s the simple things that lift our spirits.
4) If you have the budget, believe me when I say to receive a flower or a bouquet from someone is the greatest. There’s nothing like receiving a single stemmed “friendship” rose with a hand written note or something of that measure. Maybe even a piece of Dove Chocolate. I’m saying we need the chocolate, but we certainly won’t deny it.
5) Lastly encourage them where they are at. Validate what they are feeling, but also remind them of the hope they have in Jesus Christ! He will not fail them, nor has he forgotten about them. Remind them to trust His timing and His plan. Remind them to pray for their future husbands, write them letters! And if they do start dating somebody, remind them to pray for their single friends. To remember the Lord and His faithfulness to them and where He’s brought them.
I’ll never forget last year when sweet Melinda surprised me with a package of fun items, including flowers, chocolate and a card. They did the neatest thing with the Siesta Fiesta blog and she happened to get my name. It made my weekend! I also planned a little get together with some of the high school girls, a While We're Waiting, party and it was so fun!
As a true single girl myself I want to have a heart of compassion for single girls even as I start dating and eventually get married. Being single never gets easier. But to trust that God knows exactly what we need and when we need is freeing. If nothing else, He’s making my faith in Him stronger and for that I am so thankful.
One thing I've learned (every year it seems like) the hard way is that if I'm hoping in my relationship with Jesus to flourish, and I want that more than anything, then I can't be disappointed. His love won’t disappoint me. But if I'm hoping in my circumstances, and what MIGHT come, I'll be sorely disappointed.
I hope this was helpful to you! I’m certainly not telling you what to do, or that you even should do it, but if you have a heart to encourage some single gals on this Valentine’s Day, there are a few ideas that are more common sense than anything. Also, please know that I didn’t write this so that you would all do this for me. Not at all! Please here my heart here. Love to all of you! Happy Valentine’s Day! I do pray you have a sweet, sweet day.
4 comments:
Great ideas! When I facilitated a Bible study group at church it happened to be on Valentine's Day. I bought each single girl a rose and handed it too her during the class. They were so excited and I LOVE doing things like that. That is why I had so much fun doing that very thing on the Siesta Fiesta Blog. Melinda gives great gifts!!
Keeping it real, 12 years ago Sunday(on V-day) my divorce was final. I hated Valentine's day for a long time but not anymore.
I read an article from a single mom who said we should do something for our children and not be bitter on that day. I decided to do just that and I had a candlelight dinner for my boys. It was so special and to this day they talk about it!
Happy Valentine's Day sweet Lindsee!!
Love you,
Patty
Hi Lindsee! I met you briefly at the Siesta SMTC. I love reading your blog. You have wonderful ideas and insight. I have two daughters (and a son), and several young single girlfriends. This is a great post, and I am going to use your ideas this weekend to encourage my single girlfriends:)
"A Neat Christian Guy" is one of the best posts I have ever read. How I want that for my girls. Thank you for your ministry and obdience to God in this season of your life. You are really having an impact for the Kingdom....(even in TN).
BTW-I live close to Patty, and we are getting together next week :)
Oh my sweet friend... I just adore your heart. I pray that we can meet in the future soon.
Have a wonderful Valentines Day... You are loved by many!!!
Lindsee Lou!
So, we haven't met yet. Real world or blog world, but I wanted to e-mail you; I just can't find your e-mail address!
Jenna (www.jennalane8.blogspot.com)
Post a Comment